Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
first off, try checking that pigtail attaching to EVSE is firmly plugged in, try unplugging and plugging pigtail back into the evse. Next step is try the 120v to see if it triggers a fault. Have you been using this nema 14-50 outlet for some time? If it's new it could be a fault with the outlet. This is possibly a failed portable EVSE, these are covered under the vehicle warranty.

Reactions: rongb

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a similar problem, doesn't cycle like yours amber light indicates the charger is overheating and they then throttle the charge rate back to about 3KW down from 7 KW so it doubles your charge time. Took mine to the dealer but of course they didn't have a nema 14-50 outlet to test it with. I had done my homework. OBDII dongle showed internal temperature of the charger was 115 degrees, it decreases output above 100 degrees. The input line voltage was 238 vac @ 15 amps. All reported via OBDII. I used a temp gun and the 240 volt plug on the wall and at the charger connection was less than 70 degrees. It was 55 degrees in my garage. The middle of the charger was about 97 degrees. The cable coming out was 80 degrees. The connector at the charge port was 60 degrees. I talked the dealer into ordering a new one. When I picked it up two weeks later I was super disappointed that the part they received was just the 220 vac connector. In the mean time I installed a second nema 14-50 outlet in my barn. It still failed with the new 220vac connector in both the garage and the barn. I knew it would. The owners manual states if the amber light and blue light are illuminated at the same time it indicates overheating and you should "contact us" I assume us is the Ford motor company not the dealer. So I girded my loins and called Ford. After 40 minutes and 5 different contacts they opened a case saying they will contact me. haven't heard back from them in two days. Maybe I'll contact them gain today if I feel like being frustrated. The OBDII screenshot is from one of my latest tests.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a similar problem, doesn't cycle like yours amber light indicates the charger is overheating and they then throttle the charge rate back to about 3KW down from 7 KW so it doubles your charge time. Took mine to the dealer but of course they didn't have a nema 14-50 outlet to test it with. I had done my homework. OBDII dongle showed internal temperature of the charger was 115 degrees, it decreases output above 100 degrees. The input line voltage was 238 vac @ 15 amps. All reported via OBDII. I used a temp gun and the 240 volt plug on the wall and at the charger connection was less than 70 degrees. It was 55 degrees in my garage. The middle of the charger was about 97 degrees. The cable coming out was 80 degrees. The connector at the charge port was 60 degrees. I talked the dealer into ordering a new one. When I picked it up two weeks later I was super disappointed that the part they received was just the 220 vac connector. In the mean time I installed a second nema 14-50 outlet in my barn. It still failed with the new 220vac connector in both the garage and the barn. I knew it would. The owners manual states if the amber light and blue light are illuminated at the same time it indicates overheating and you should "contact us" I assume us is the Ford motor company not the dealer. So I girded my loins and called Ford. After 40 minutes and 5 different contacts they opened a case saying they will contact me. haven't heard back from them in two days. Maybe I'll contact them gain today if I feel like being frustrated. The OBDII screenshot is from one of my latest tests.
View attachment 7890
Here are my stats. I’m taking the charger to the dealer tomorrow. I’ll update what they say. Charger is highlighting amber even without the car plugged in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is still 103F at 9pm in the garage in Phoenix here and my first attempt for charging at home repeatedly fails from a 110V outlet. It starts with the blue light but after several minutes goes to orange. I will try to put the mobile charger inside a cooler with icepacks around tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts