Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Will the charger be able to be kept outside?

10K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  eastern refugee 
#1 ·
Will the charger be able to be kept outside? I’m thinking I’ll be installing the outlet outside on the side of my house. My friend did this for his Tesla.

#2 ·
If referring to the one that comes with the car and not the fast charging box I would say the one with the car should not be kept outside 24/7. I think it is ok to have it out while it is charging then put the cable back in the car or garage. I am not 100% sure they charging cables are weather resistant or not so better be safe than sorry. NOw if you talking about the Ford Charging Box then yes that is all weather proof and can be left outside with its charging cable. Not to sure the ones that come with the car are rated for outdoor usage. Doesn't mean it can not be used like that but just be cautious since its not an outdoor cable.

#7 ·
I'll be charging my car outside, too. I will be putting a hard wired charger (called an EVSE) outside for my charging. While you can technically have an electrician put a wet-location outlet outside, I don't know it the included charger is actually rated for outdoor use. Even if it is, I would suggest against using a plugin charger constantly outside. The good news is that New Jersey will begin offering a $500 rebate for getting an EVSE installed starting later this year so that will help defray the cost.

#5 ·
If I get an electric car I will need to park my car outside but run the cable inside the garage so it is feasible just need to remove when done charging and remember to never shut the garage doors on the cables.
I am sure the cables will work for outside use but I like to be cautious.

#8 ·
And remember, NJ currently waives sales tax on electric vehicles. All you have to do is fill out an exemption form.

SALES TAX EXEMPTION - ZERO EMISSION VEHICLES (ZEV)
(N.J.S.A. 54:32B-8.55)

The New Jersey Sales and Use Tax Act provides a sales and use tax exemption for zero emission vehicles (ZEVs), which are vehicles certified pursuant to the California Air Resources Board zero emission standards for the model year.

The exemption is NOT applicable to partial zero emission vehicles, which includes hybrids such as the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid. The exemption is also NOT applicable to labor or parts for qualified vehicles.

The definition of "sale" in the law includes rentals and leases. Thus, the exemption is applicable to the sale, rental or lease of a new or used zero emission motor vehicle on and after May 1, 2004.

Motor Vehicle Dealers, Leasing and Rental Companies and Other Vendors:
In order to document the exemption for the sale or rental of a qualified zero emission vehicle, the customer should complete an Exempt Use Certificate (ST-4) and insert the statutory reference "N.J.S.A. 54:32B-8.55."

#9 ·
ClipperCreek website has info on outdoor charging. If the charger is outdoors it should be the hard wired type as the box with the electrical components needs to be water tight and that is easier to do with the hard wired type. If you have a plug outdoors at a minimum it needs to have a water tight cover. How about having the charging box inside and run the charge cable through the wall as it seems the car end of the charge cable is more weatherproof than the plug or charge unit. If the run length is too long you might need a lower AWG wire (larger wire). Seems that there could be some ingenous solutions here depending on the layout. Wish you luck. My electrical panel is on my garage wall so all I need to do is run a install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and run about 20 feet of 6AWG wire to the service panel and install a 50 amp 240 volt circuit breaker. It should be less than $150 of materials.

#11 ·
I have a colleague who has his car charger outsite for more than 4 years now. It is full in the open , no roof , nothing. It still works great but became from black to gray. The charger that comes with the car is a low capacity charger, it wil give on a 230 volt outlet about 2,3 kw per hour. Charging will take extra long. I personally have already a dedicated 16amp charger at home with gives 3,7 kw per hour (At 230 volt) That is enough for daily use.

#12 ·
I think you're mixing the 120 volt performance with 240. Per Ford at 240 volts the portable that comes with the car charges at 23 miles per hour, and their hardwired one which uses 32amps can charge at 32 miles per hour. So, the portable one must draw 24 amps, which is 5.75kw at 240.

#13 ·
@timbop, I think @Rene was referring to a different EVSE that his friend uses, and in the Netherlands where voltage may be 230.

I don't know specs for the mobile charger Ford is providing in Europe. In North America though, based on the U.S. press releases, I believe it's consuming up to 32A at 240V. The connected wall charger accessory can do 48A continuous at 240V.

#14 ·
If I remember correctly I think people are correct that the cables and adaptors they provide are for the 110v outlet which only does like 1mile an hour charging. Then they provide the 240V adaptor for the 13mile charge rate. However if you want you can purchase after market charger from $150 to $600 that can be plugged in or hardwired that are all weather proof. These normal can do 32 mile charge an hour on 40A charge rate. This would require space for a 50A breaker same with the additional plug for the NEMA 14-50 outlet. Or you can have Ford provide you can buy Fords box and have Amazon Home install it as long as it is close to the fuse box they only allow I think $650 for work required if more than that they will not do it if requires more extensive work like running lines thru house from fusebox

#16 ·
In the Netherlands we have standard 230 volt. Max allowed from a wall outlet is 10 Amps. The charger delivered with my current PHEV delivers 2,3 kwh (V*A=P). In my home i have a 3 * 25 Amp at 230 volts deliverd, this sums to max usage of 17,25 kwh for my home and car. on the dedicated wall charger i can load 16 amps. This isthe max usage allowed for a house.

i can get a heavier power connection but it costs a lot more per month.

i hope this helps your calculations.

#21 ·
OK, I see where you're coming from. Here in the US the "normal" house plugs are 120V@15Amp. Ford will be shipping 2 plugs for the included portable charger: a standard 120V/15A plug that will give 3 hrs of charge an hour, and a 240V plug that is normally used for electric ovens (which are typically a 40 or 50 amp circuit) that can charge at 22 miles an hour (so must draw less than the allowable max of 40Amps).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.