Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I know, they haven't announced the price to charge on the Ford Network after the free 2 years runs out. It seems to me that based on the current Electrify America rates, it will be much more expensive to fast charge the Mach-E compared to the Model Y.

On the Ford website, they say that you can go from 10% to 80% in 45 minutes for the 300 mi range model. According to Electrify America, if you're not a Pass+ member, the cost is $1.00 plus $0.99/min for any car capable of charging greater than 125 kW. So charging for 45 minutes will cost you $45.55. If you have the Pass+ membership, it is $0.50/min for the same rate, resulting in a cost of $22.50 (they don't charge the extra dollar if you have a Pass+ membership).

The Tesla website says Superchargers charge $0.28 per kWh. The model Y long range (300 mi, apples to apples with the long range Mach-E) battery is 75 kWh. So to charge from 10% to 80% (7.5 kWh to 60 kWh, or 52.5 kWh) will be $14.70. So charging the model Y will cost about 2/3 the price of charging a Mach-E with a Pass+ membership (which doesn't include the $4.00/month membership fee) or 1/3 the price of charging a Mach-E without a membership.

I don't know how much people plan to use DC fast chargers, but hopefully the Ford Network charging prices will move closer to the Tesla Supercharging prices. I'm on the fence on whether I'd want a Mach-E or Model Y, but just wanted to give people something else to think about while we wait for the two cars to come out next year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I wish EA charged by the kWh. The thing is, though, we don't know the max kW the Mach-E will take. I could be 125kW, in which case the cost would "only" be 2X the supercharger rate as opposed to 3X. In any event, it's more expensive than gasoline unless you live in CA or other high gas cost areas. By the way, EVgo rates are even higher....

·
Registered
28 Posts
By the way, I currently drive a Chevy Bolt (238 EPA mile range) and I take 2 or 3 road trips per year that require me to stop at a DCFC. Most of my driving is around town and I charge at home, which is way cheaper than buying gasoline or using a DCFC. So I don't really mind paying a little extra if I can charge up and get on my way. Trouble is, in my experience, about 50% of the EA chargers either don't work or require time consuming phone conversations with EA to remote start them. To me, that's a bigger problem than the expense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, I currently drive a Chevy Bolt (238 EPA mile range) and I take 2 or 3 road trips per year that require me to stop at a DCFC. Most of my driving is around town and I charge at home, which is way cheaper than buying gasoline or using a DCFC. So I don't really mind paying a little extra if I can charge up and get on my way. Trouble is, in my experience, about 50% of the EA chargers either don't work or require time consuming phone conversations with EA to remote start them. To me, that's a bigger problem than the expense.
That's really interesting, I had heard of that but not having an EV myself I wasn't sure how true that was. Hopefully they'll be other charging networks beside EA that we can use in the Ford Network.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Where are you reading 2 year free charging? I don't think that's true for Ford. Ford just claims that all electric car charging stations are in 'their network'.
You're right, I saw this on their website: "Ford gives you two years of complimentary access to the FordPass™ Charging Network for easy pay-as-you-drive charging."

When I first read it quickly, I thought it meant free charging for two years, but it looks like it means you're in the Ford network free for two years.

Now it annoys me more. You're buying the Ford and will still have to pay to be in the network? Isn't paying to charge enough?

·
Registered
18 Posts
You're right, I saw this on their website: "Ford gives you two years of complimentary access to the FordPass™ Charging Network for easy pay-as-you-drive charging."

When I first read it quickly, I thought it meant free charging for two years, but it looks like it means you're in the Ford network free for two years.

Now it annoys me more. You're buying the Ford and will still have to pay to be in the network? Isn't paying to charge enough?
Very bad first step for Ford. Leave a bad taste in the consumer's mouth a year before release. Sigh...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fast Charging in rural areas is going to be a tough sell. Going to a dealership for a "charge" at 240volt level is what some of us are going to be facing with any longer distance road trips. It isn't going to be faster than a ICE or even a PHEV automobile. I got money down on a Mach -e Premium extended range vehicle. and looking forward to the future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have to admit, I don't own a BEV and have no experience with them. I reserved a Premium Mach E. I have read that most EV owners mostly / only charge at home anyway. Can anyone who is a current BEV elaborate on your "daily" charging experiences? Looking to understand what the ramifications might be of a 2x - 3x more expensive charging network!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have to admit, I don't own a BEV and have no experience with them. I reserved a Premium Mach E. I have read that most EV owners mostly / only charge at home anyway. Can anyone who is a current BEV elaborate on your "daily" charging experiences? Looking to understand what the ramifications might be of a 2x - 3x more expensive charging network!
I drive a BEV with 238 mile range and mostly drive around town. I usually drive until the charge level is around 20% and charge up to 85-90%, at home. That means I have around 170 miles range for local driving, which is enough for around a week for me, leaving some reserve if necessary. If I go on a trip, I'll charge to 100% and drive until I get down to 20% or so, or for around 190 miles. I plan my trips to be at a DCFC when I hit 20%, still leaving some reserve in case the DCFC isn't working.
Of course the Mach-E has around 300+ miles range, so the range/charging experience should be better than my car.
Edit: Note that speed greatly reduces range. There's a big difference between 60mph and 70, and an even bigger difference between 70 and 80. I usually drive around 65-70 in the "slow" lane to get the mileage above. Also, depending on the heating system (heat pump ? resistance heater ?), cold weather can reduce your range by 33%. So, driving in winter at freeway speeds really reduces range. This is the same for all EV's, including Tesla.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh interesting, so not plugged in each night, just when it gets low. Do you use a regular 120 / 240 outlet at home?
I installed a Clipper Creek 240 volt charger. It charges around 25 miles per hour for my car but would be faster for the Mach-E. Normally I plug in at night and 6-8 hours later (in the morning) I have a full "tank". A 120V charger will give about 5 miles per hour. I take the 120V with me on trips in case I can't find a L2 or L3 charger and have to use it as a last resort.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm guessing recharge station pricing will go down once there's a reasonable saturation of availability, and more customers to use them. But both are a long ways off in the U.S.

I'm interested in the Mach-E because I want an electric car and it looks like it should satisfy many of the "wants" that I've been waiting for, but realistically, I expect that for most trips out of the valley (Phoenix Metro), I'll need to rent an ICE car. Within the valley, 99.9% of my charging will be done at home.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is an item not always mentioned, the Charging rate at individual Tesla stations do not always provide the kW rate posted. Various factors involved.

·
Registered
76 Posts
BEV might not be vehicle for you if cross country long distance hauling etc is your thing. Many other vehicles to choose from.
Going 200 to 300 miles round trip on a charge is a problem only when the vehicle is used in the wrong application. (what they might do in California is not applicable)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts