Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
MME Premium 4X Rapid Red
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you have tried the interactive tool that Ford has for charging networks, but I just reviewed a trip that I take often because of family and was surprised at the lack of charging spots along the way (NE Ohio, through WV, and on to coastal VA). I 77S is a major interstate, and I was really surprised to find hardly any stations on the WV turnpike - you would think they would start putting them in the travel plazas and charge you an arm and a leg like they do for gas. It will be interesting to see how networks continue to evolve and get built out. It will be interesting to see how my car will plan that trip - and yes there is another route but it goes through DC, and who wants to do THAT? It will also be interesting to see how long the "free" stations stay free.

I also wonder why other than allowing you to see the true DC fast stations and filter by that, they don't give the level of the other stations on the map.

Here's a link to the map.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think Ford's map (at least the one you've linked) is just a simple skin over plugshare.com's map data. Check out PlugShare. It has details about each charger, including check-ins from drivers using their app.

Another interesting tool is abetterrouteplanner.com. Tough to figure out how to use it, but it has really fine grained route planning controls. PlugShare has some route planning functionality, too, if you create a free account.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if any of you have tried the interactive tool that Ford has for charging networks, but I just reviewed a trip that I take often because of family and was surprised at the lack of charging spots along the way (NE Ohio, through WV, and on to coastal VA). I 77S is a major interstate, and I was really surprised to find hardly any stations on the WV turnpike - you would think they would start putting them in the travel plazas and charge you an arm and a leg like they do for gas. It will be interesting to see how networks continue to evolve and get built out. It will be interesting to see how my car will plan that trip - and yes there is another route but it goes through DC, and who wants to do THAT? It will also be interesting to see how long the "free" stations stay free.

I also wonder why other than allowing you to see the true DC fast stations and filter by that, they don't give the level of the other stations on the map.

Here's a link to the map.

I do see a submission form on the EA, Electrify America website where anyone, even an individual, can suggest a new location for a charge station. They are still building out their network, so you can make your case for a new location.

·
Registered
MME Premium 4X Rapid Red
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do see a submission form on the EA, Electrify America website where anyone, even an individual, can suggest a new location for a charge station. They are still building out their network, so you can make your case for a new location.
Can I make that location my driveway, or the cul de sac in front of my house? :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think Ford's map (at least the one you've linked) is just a simple skin over plugshare.com's map data. Check out PlugShare. It has details about each charger, including check-ins from drivers using their app.

Another interesting tool is abetterrouteplanner.com. Tough to figure out how to use it, but it has really fine grained route planning controls. PlugShare has some route planning functionality, too, if you create a free account.
thr problem with those is that they show free chargers as well which could be a serious issue as you don’t know if working or not. EA tells you like Tesla how many chargers and how many are empty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
thr problem with those is that they show free chargers as well which could be a serious issue as you don’t know if working or not. EA tells you like Tesla how many chargers and how many are empty.
This is a current problem: It's a bit of the Wild West out there on the road as EVgo gives you current information on EVgo, ChargePoint for ChargePoint, etc. It will be interesting to see if the Ford app has realtime updates of station status -- and if the information is reliable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
BINGO. People need to stop looking for FREE. The old adage still Apply’s. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Use EA app. It tells you where they are and it has the Mach but there mileage is much higher then ford which I personally find fascinating. So to you the app change the setting to be what Ford states it is which I think will actually be lower then reality.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks like in West Virginia a home charger is a must, i hope you have that option for you. I just did a test from Ranger, WV to Shanks, WV, 276 mile trip cutting straight through the State.
there were no FordPass in network or fast-chargers available.
interestingly, though. There were 12 charge locations along the route, all free of cost.
I hope the States like this that are behind on their charge networks will get the ball rolling soon.
When EVs like the upcoming F150 arrive, there may be more effort on these networks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts