Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my job they have a tesla charging station is it possible to charge a Mach E from this? Do I need an adapter? Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes, an adapter like the teslatap will work as long as it is a "Tesla destination charger" (ie a level 2 charger) and not a "supercharger" (DC fast charger). You do need to find out how much current (amperage) the tesla charger is set to output as there are different versions of the teslatap that have different thicknesses for different power levels. Naturally the thicker the cable the more expensive, but too thin of a cable for the charging current will overheat and possibly cause a fire. So if you don't know the current, err on the side of ordering the thickest one (80A).

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
Yes, an adapter like the teslatap will work as long as it is a "Tesla destination charger" (ie a level 2 charger) and not a "supercharger" (DC fast charger). You do need to find out how much current (amperage) the tesla charger is set to output as there are different versions of the teslatap that have different thicknesses for different power levels. Naturally the thicker the cable the more expensive, but too thin of a cable for the charging current will overheat and possibly cause a fire. So if you don't know the current, err on the side of ordering the thickest one (80A).
Also, if is your company-owned L2 Telsa charger you should be okay.

Tesla-owned L2 chargers in the network are slowly being replaced with intelligent units that expect a Tesla to be connected.

Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,249 Posts
I just got off the phone with Dave at TeslaTap. The 50A is fine, especially for occasional use like I'm intending.

He recommends the 80A, especially if you will be using it regularly and will be plugging your Mach E into a 60-80A Tesla charger. Wiring, etc. are beefier on the 80A unit.

He actually has tested his units at way over their rating and they do fine. He just likes to recommend people make sure they have all they need.

So, assuming the Mach E will top out at 12kW, the 50A is fine as a backup, the 80A would be preferable to be on the safe side.

He also now has a J-1772 charger modified from a Tesla charger that will be an awesome 48A unit for the Mach E. He sells it at $699 with a standard 12' cable, all UL rated. The great part is if you need a longer cable, he will make it custom for you at whatever length you need.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,249 Posts
I gave my 50A TeslaTap a try this weekend, getting about a half of a charge in the Leaf, courtesy of Elon, while having lunch.

Of course, now they have a high power TeslaTap mini that is much smaller and handles 80A!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Are these charging stations for tesla free? THey've just installed a couple at a burger king I go to frequently.

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
Are these charging stations for tesla free? THey've just installed a couple at a burger king I go to frequently.
With small L2 units like these it is usually free, The energy is usually supplied is from the premises owner, not Tesla. The idea is if you stop to charge, you will patronize their store. Sometimes free locations have 14-50 outlets, and some have J1772.

The trick is, grab free electrons wherever you can when you are out and about. If its cold weather its even better when you plug in to these destination chargers, to keep the battery prepped.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I gave my 50A TeslaTap a try this weekend, getting about a half of a charge in the Leaf, courtesy of Elon, while having lunch.

Of course, now they have a high power TeslaTap mini that is much smaller and handles 80A!
What is required to activate a Tesla Destination Charger? A Tesla account or asking host to turn on power or nada?

·
Registered
452 Posts
What is required to activate a Tesla Destination Charger? A Tesla account or asking host to turn on power or nada?
The majority of existing Tesla "destination chargers" (L2 units that look like the one @ChasingCoral photographed) are free at this time.

This is my understand from what I read a few months back. I might be wrong about this:

Recently, Tesla started making it possible for property owners to retrofit these destination charger setups to allow pass through billing. Previously the equipment wasn't network connected and couldn't do that. Now, if you encounter a Tesla destination charger that is NOT free to use, then you will probably not be able to use it at all unless you're plugging it into a Tesla. So far, Tesla is still not permitting paid-charge authorizations to non-Teslas.

·
Registered
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
57 Posts
I've read through all the posts here, and I just placed my order for the Tesla Tap Mini 60A:
TeslaTap MINI 60 AMP

Thanks to you all for the advice and assistance here!

smp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts