Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn’t find another post regarding the large percentage of battery climate is using. It’s dropping into the 20s here in Michigan, I’m starting the car on house power and typically shutting of steering wheel and heated seat, only leaving vent heat on low auto 74 degrees.

Does the low auto 74 degrees really use that much battery power?

Curious what others are doing. I tried no vent heat but that just seemed stupid.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I couldn’t find another post regarding the large percentage of battery climate is using. It’s dropping into the 20s here in Michigan, I’m starting the car on house power and typically shutting of steering wheel and heated seat, only leaving vent heat on low auto 74 degrees.

Curious what others are doing. I tried no vent heat but that just seemed stupid.
OK here is a limited report from Minnesota. I've not driven many miles in the cold yet, but the weather is dropping to 20-30 F range. First off, do you really need 74 to stay warm…I use 70 at most. Why shut off heated seat as that uses a lot less power than the PTC heater in the coolant line. My April-October average is 3.7 mi/kwh on Trip 2 which has never been reset. I have now dropped to 2.6 for the last few weeks and I expect further dropping. Virtually no high speed trip miles here, mostly local driving. I pre-warm the car for 10 min use the heated seat on 1 or 2 setting, use E-heat and set the fan speed on 2 or 3. I have not used the AUTO setting.

If you want to find out a worst case scenario go to macheclub.com and search for the post titled “-35F\-37C Real World Mach-E Range Test. What could go wrong?” The poster did an Alaska trip with a Mach E starting with a car parked outside with no pre-conditioning. The result was 1.8 or 1.5 m/kwh (depending on how it was calculated) or half of summer range. The post is an interesting read.

I will experiment with using recirculated air if possible without fogging the windows. Some report that the system will not stay in recirc mode but switches back to outside air automatically (like big brother knows better than you do). When you calculate the extra cost of keeping warm in the car (if charging at home), yes it is foolish to not stay warm. It is bigger concern for winter road trippers as is range and charger availability

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

using the heater is a HUGE drain on power. Turning off the heated seat is the opposite of what you should be doing. I was amazed even in the summer, I just left on auto when first got it. and it used a decent bit of energy then. To reduce your drain, you'd want to reduce your temp setting and use your heated seats more (they have an auto mode, Turns on/off based on thermostat setting in your car.

·
Registered
2021 Mustang Mach e Select AWD
19 Posts
Lots of practical tips in this string that I can use here in SW Ontario as the temps are staying around or below 0C. I normally plug in to charge at 20% but now I am getting a message at shut down that the vehicle should be plugged in when not in use, due to the cold temperature. As a result my preferred charge time setting will bring the charge up to 85% nightly regardless of the starting point. So is this bad for the battery? If so would lowering the target charge % to or to just above the actual battery percentage nightly be the way forward?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of practical tips in this string that I can use here in SW Ontario as the temps are staying around or below 0C. I normally plug in to charge at 20% but now I am getting a message at shut down that the vehicle should be plugged in when not in use, due to the cold temperature. As a result my preferred charge time setting will bring the charge up to 85% nightly regardless of the starting point. So is this bad for the battery? If so would lowering the target charge % to or to just above the actual battery percentage nightly be the way forward?
I believe Ford recommends 90% charge regularly. That’s what I do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts