Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done at Sil-Tehar motors in Colorado, actually, typing this up in the parking lot.
I love the car, but I am seriously disappointed with the rep they had. He was great at pointing out the problems I’ll have ordering,

Some highlights were, ( and I know one thing is builcrap )
  • the under hood divider isn’t actually going to come in the car
  • the GT will be ala cart. If you want the B&O system, it is an option. If you want ( insert premium feature here ), it will have to be ordered separately.
  • you will need a 30AMP breaker for the 110v L1 connection . In the US, the breakers for 110v is always 15A. If you need more, it’s Not L1
  • he claimed to be an electrician. I doubt it.
  • the argued and put me off everything I asked about.
  • I actually walked away pissed.
-he went on to say that I won’t be able to get orange because I reserved ( not ordered ) a black one.Orange wasn’t available when I reserved. IfI wanted to change the color, I would have to cancel my reservation and go to the back of the line.
- you weren’t allowed to turn on the car.
So in short, I won’t go Tesla, but if some of the things this guys says is true, like no option packages for the GT, everything is ala cart, or that the self driving feature is a $300 a year subscription, then FORD is going to fail.

I doubt anyone can debunk much of what he has to say, even if it doesn’t sound right, but I would love to know that the L1 draw is, and if it’s adjustable like on other cars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just got done at Sil-Tehar motors in Colorado, actually, typing this up in the parking lot.
I love the car, but I am seriously disappointed with the rep they had. He was great at pointing out the problems I’ll have ordering,

• the under hood divider isn’t actually going to come in the car
  • the GT will be ala cart. If you want the B&O system, it is an option. If you want ( insert premium feature here ), it will have to be ordered separately.
  • you will need a 30AMP breaker for the 110v L1 connection . In the US, the breakers for 110v is always 15A. If you need more, it’s Not L1
  • the argued and put me off everything I asked about.
  • I actually walked away pissed.
-he went on to say that I won’t be able to get orange because I reserved ( not ordered ) a black one.Orange wasn’t available when I reserved. IfI wanted to change the color, I would have to cancel my reservation and go to the back of the line.
- you weren’t allowed to turn on the car.
So in short, I won’t go Tesla, but if some of the things this guys says is true, like no option packages for the GT, everything is ala cart, or that the self driving feature is a $300 a year subscription, then FORD is going to fail.

I doubt anyone can debunk much of what he has to say, even if it doesn’t sound right, but I would love to know that the L1 draw is, and if it’s adjustable like on other cars.
I'll take a stab . . . .
a) divider is coming installed as of last known info, but will be easily removable. This may change as it is something to do with govt safety requirements.
b) Look at the Ford.com site - it will show you the GT standards and options.
c) For Level 1 (slowest charging), you don't need anything other than a standard household plug.
d) If you haven't ordered yet (only reserved), you can change anything you want but probably the GT trim level - color, options, etc . .. Once you order, changing will be more difficult, but not impossible until you have a production date scheduled. Then you won't be able to change without cancelling and reordering.

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
wow, almost sounds like an undercover Te-la fanboy trying to discourage customers.
  • i also heard that the divider will not be on production (NJ showing)
  • nobody knows what the GT configurator looks like. There may be more options for the GT, but there most likely will be packages (like the performance package)
  • i dont want to be in a house that this guy wired-up! The adapter on the mobile charger has two vertical prongs, so it is a 15a plug. If it had one horizontal and one vertical, it would be 20a. There is an included 14-50 adapter for the mobile charger should you have a higher amperage outlet available.
  • You can speak with your dealer to change anything about your reservation prior to ordering ( except to/from a GT). And even after ordering, as long as it hasn’t been put into ‘production’ status.
  • the hands-free driving feature has an additional cost of $600 to purchase as a downloadable OTA update.
  • there are no costs identified yet for the connected services beyond the period included with the car. There is speculation that there will be a monthly subscription beyond that. It cant be too expensive, how much would you be willing to pay? Thats a discussion for an entirely different thread.

All I can suggest is to let the car speak for itself, and try not to let people like this rep ruin your experience.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,376 Posts
wow, almost sounds like an undercover Te-la fanboy trying to discourage customers.
  • i also heard that the divider will not be on production (NJ showing)
  • nobody knows what the GT configurator looks like. There may be more options for the GT, but there most likely will be packages (like the performance package)
  • i dont want to be in a house that this guy wired-up! The adapter on the mobile charger has two vertical prongs, so it is a 15a plug. If it had one horizontal and one vertical, it would be 20a. There is an included 14-50 adapter for the mobile charger should you have a higher amperage outlet available.
  • You can speak with your dealer to change anything about your reservation prior to ordering ( except to/from a GT). And even after ordering, as long as it hasn’t been put into ‘production’ status.
  • the hands-free driving feature has an additional cost of $600 to purchase as a downloadable OTA update.
  • there are no costs identified yet for the connected services beyond the period included with the car. There is speculation that there will be a monthly subscription beyond that. It cant be too expensive, how much would you be willing to pay? Thats a discussion for an entirely different thread.

All I can suggest is to let the car speak for itself, and try not to let people like this rep ruin your experience.
Is the hands free an option that's purchased at the time of delivery from the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Easy.... He could be an electrician who's not been trained before being sent out on the roadshow.

As for breakers for 110V always being 15A in the US. I think you mean 120V.
So Home Depot is selling 100+ 120V, Single Pole, Circuit Breakers to ship overseas? I wonder how my house is full of them.

Although 120V 30A circuits are pretty rare for residential so I doubt that's what's required for L1.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
120 Posts
Easy.... He could be an electrician who's not been trained before being sent out on the roadshow.

So Home Depot is selling 100+ 120V, Single Pole, Circuit Breakers to ship overseas? I wonder how my house is full of them.

Although 120V 30A circuits are pretty rare for residential so I doubt that's what's required for L1.
It is very clear in all the materials that the Ford Mobile Charger supports NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50 outlets only. It's not really excusable for a dealer rep to not know this.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Pretty much guaranteed given that they were at a dealership.
Sad really.... How little dealers and reps know about the product they're selling. Every car I purchased I knw more about the available features + options, specs, etc than the salesperson. I just don't get this... there's so much downtime for the sales people... why aren't they studying the product?

I will say that my local Ford dealer changed ownership since we've last owned a Ford (Lincoln MKX) and the visit to place our order was far more pleasant than with the previous ownership.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
120 Posts
Sad really.... How little dealers and reps know about the product they're selling. Every car I purchased I knw more about the available features + options, specs, etc than the salesperson. I just don't get this... there's so much downtime for the sales people... why aren't they studying the product?

I will say that my local Ford dealer changed ownership since we've last owned a Ford (Lincoln MKX) and the visit to place our order was far more pleasant than with the previous ownership.
Truly frustrating.

I don't get why you would half-ass any job, but if your job is literally to convince someone to pick your widget over a competing widget, wouldn't it be helpful to UNDERSTAND your widget in order to help you do that?

I don't get taking a job like that and not living and breathing the entire lineup.

When I mentioned my First Edition to my dealer their response was "wait there's a First Edition of the Mach-E?"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

So, you are telling me, that when I look into my breaker panel, and most I have seen, that everyone is running 20 or 30A single leg breakers? I only see 15A.

II know this is the internet, and you can find someone to argue with you that a PB&J has neither peanut butter or Jelly, but honestly, I am trying to have a serious conversation, with and to gather accurate data. You are twisting what I am saying, for what reason, I am not sure. And yes, I never said they didn't exist, I said its not what is in most places. And as far as voltage, yes, you can say 110v or 120v.Put a volt meter in your electrical sockets and depending where you live, it will be in that range. When I lived in Florida, I used to see as high as 129v . I also went through a lot of TVs.

The thing is, The common standard in houses, I don't know what type of matchbox you live in, are full of 15A per leg circuits. You need to rewire for something higher. Houses are usually wired up 12 or 14 gauge wiring depending on local code .

But if you want to sell me that This MACH-E will require 120v @ 30A, go ahead. Then show me proof. This is one of the reasons I was irritated with the so called expert. Luckily, this group has been great, and helped me get the correct info.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
So, you are telling me, that when I look into my breaker panel, and most I have seen, that everyone is running 20 or 30A single leg breakers? I only see 15A.

II know this is the internet, and you can find someone to argue with you that a PB&J has neither peanut butter or Jelly, but honestly, I am trying to have a serious conversation, with and to gather accurate data. You are twisting what I am saying, for what reason, I am not sure. And yes, I never said they didn't exist, I said its not what is in most places. And as far as voltage, yes, you can say 110v or 120v.Put a volt meter in your electrical sockets and depending where you live, it will be in that range. When I lived in Florida, I used to see as high as 129v . I also went through a lot of TVs.

The thing is, The common standard in houses, I don't know what type of matchbox you live in, are full of 15A per leg circuits. You need to rewire for something higher. Houses are usually wired up 12 or 14 gauge wiring depending on local code .

But if you want to sell me that This MACH-E will require 120v @ 30A, go ahead. Then show me proof. This is one of the reasons I was irritated with the so called expert. Luckily, this group has been great, and helped me get the correct info.
My "matchbox" has 20A circuits so multiple woodworking tools can be run with the dust collector on. You'll find that 20A circuits are not that uncommon. Large wall AC units, kitchens with multiple countertop appliances, etc... of course, the alternative is to run multiple 15A circuits. But assure you "In the US, the breakers for 110v is always 15A." is simply not true... just like the Ford rep's statement wrt to the 30A circuit.

·
Registered
385 Posts
He was great at pointing out the problems I’ll have ordering,
Not having a divider for the frunk is a "problem"?

On the GT and options, some features are options, others are not, just have to add up final cost for features you want. This is true on lots of cars. I'd like the Cyber Orange also but can't change "order", can't cancel "order" to reorder in GT Cyber Orange. Just how ordering system works. When only building 50,000 cars, Ford has to be build to what the initial depositors ordered so can understand having to cancel and re-order reservation.

What I'd want the rep to be able to answer about the car are car functions vs. wiring the house and don't see many car issues in the questions to the rep.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
My daughter visited and brought the 2018 Tesla Mod 3. I plugged it into the Juicebox 40 on a 50 amp breaker (NEMA 14-50) outlet. In 4hrs 15 mins. the car added 176 miles of range stopping at '100%' . That equates to 41.4 miles per hour. Are Tesla's that much faster than the MMe on charging?

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,948 Posts
My daughter visited and brought the 2018 Tesla Mod 3. I plugged it into the Juicebox 40 on a 50 amp breaker (NEMA 14-50) outlet. In 4hrs 15 mins. the car added 176 miles of range stopping at '100%' . That equates to 41.4 miles per hour. Are Tesla's that much faster than the MMe on charging?

It would seem so: Remember you are in the "sweet spot" of charging, between 20% and 80% when charging is the most efficient:

see: Tesla Model 3 (2019) Charging Guide | Pod Point

and

and

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
It would seem so: Remember you are in the "sweet spot" of charging, between 20% and 80% when charging is the most efficient:

see: Tesla Model 3 (2019) Charging Guide | Pod Point

and

and

Thanks, very useful data. Since I'm not certain what settings were on the Mod 3 my Juicebox App indicated a 100% charge but I unfortunately didn't ask about what percentage was left on the batteries and this was the first time that I used the J B 40 to charge her car. I'm fortunate that my driving situation will require few plug-ins at the house and as long as I can charge the MMe during the EV rates 2200-0800 hrs. I'll be happy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm fortunate that my driving situation will require few plug-ins at the house and as long as I can charge the MMe during the EV rates 2200-0800 hrs. I'll be happy.
What would your electric rate be for off peak hrs? Is there an additional fixed monthly charge for a time of day pricing plan? Those are really good rates. You will be able to afford extra whiskey when you get your Mach E. 😀

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
What would your electric rate be for off peak hrs? Is there an additional fixed monthly charge for a time of day pricing plan? Those are really good rates. You will be able to afford extra whiskey when you get your Mach E. 😀
There are summer and winter rates on the time of use plan (TOU) if you send Nevada Power a copy of your PHEV or BEV you're eligible for a rate of approx. 05 cents from 2200hrs-0800hrs and all weekend all year. The summer rates from 0800 to 1300 are around 11 cents then jump to .43 cents until 1900hrs. The winter rates are around 11 cents until the EV rates kick in at 2200. There's no fee to sign up and if after a year you don't save money you will be put back on the standard plan. The 'EV" rate applies to the entire house. To charge my PHEV costs me around 25 cents for the 5 kWh. which covers my daily (often several days) driving.
As to my Irish whiskey consumption, I just bought a 2019 Midleton Very Rare, Jameson's Distillers Safe and Cooper's Croze, hoping for a drop in electricity rates or huge incentives from Ford.🤪

1 - 20 of 25 Posts