Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve owned my MachE GTPE since March of this year and really like it, but have only driven it from my home in Tucson to my condo in San Diego once and probably won’t again until either the charging network is improved or I’m making the trip alone (I can’t bear listening to my wife complain about a 6 hour trip taking over 8 hours or risk being stranded in the desert with her along).

BUT, anticipating that I would be making that trip more often, last November I polled my fellow condo owners about their interest in having EV charging available in the building; exactly one other person showed interest. Oh how times have changed. Last week at our annual meeting 10 out of 14 owners not only expressed interest, they put me in charge and authorized me to get estimates to install EVSE for the building.

I didn’t have the heart to tell them that over the past year I sent at least 20 requests to be contacted by contractors listed by the San Diego Association of Government, the local entity in charge of getting EVSES into the community as authorized installers and received only one response. Not interested, project too small. I’ve called commercial electric companies and they either want a few hundred dollars upfront just to come out or aren’t interested or don’t call me.

I‘ve read that Generac, who makes backup generators is swamped by demand in California but is unable to find enough electricians to install their products - I assume the same issues apply in my case.

So, I’m appealing to you good folks for any and all pertinent ideas or information which could help me move this project forward. Any advice or ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I spoke with a friend this morning who is an HOA president and he had some points to consider.
Are you installing a group of L2's in in a communal area or are you routing L1 or L2 to each parking place?
Is the cost going to be covered by the individual or the association - that would require a vote.
When he has a government project to get moving, he contacts the local City Council representative to cut through red tape.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We prefer to install one Charger per two spaces and pay for it ourselves, which is the mandate I was given. Owners know it’s an expense but feel the added amenity and convenience is worth it. The votes are there as I said in my previous post. The government money is aimed at shared public chargers and all available funds have already been requested by others; apparently that’s why I can’t get a response from any contractors or ChargePoint- they’re all more interested in the government money.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you have a contractor that does maintenance for the communal infrastructure they would be the best source to add equipment or provide a recommendation.

Consider a simpler L1 (120 volt / 20 amp) socket and charge over three nights instead of one. That may be easier to "add on" without raising too many flags.

I found this concerning EV charging with Tesla. Welcome to the high weeds!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts