Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you calculate the cost of a full charge on a Mach-e with an extended range battery? Is it as easy as multiplying 88 x the cost per kWh, or is it more involved than that?

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
How would you calculate the cost of a full charge on a Mach-e with an extended range battery? Is it as easy as multiplying 88 x the cost per kWh, or is it more involved than that?
There is a loss during charging with AC/DC power conversion. At 110 charging, the loss is grester than at 240. Att at least 10% (or 8 kWh for the worst case estimate.
So at .11¢ per kWh, its $11.52 when you include the overhead. For me in NJ, it cost me an estimated $16.32.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
There is a loss during charging with AC/DC power conversion. At 110 charging, the loss is grester than at 240. Att at least 10% (or 8 kWh for the worst case estimate.
So at .11¢ per kWh, its $11.52 when you include the overhead. For me in NJ, it cost me an estimated $16.32.
and then if you really want to get it close. You have to figure the real cost per kwh. So for my flat rate plan here in GA is 5.7 cents per kwh. BUT if you factor in all the taxes and fees, it increases it significantly. I think I figured it averaged out to around 12-13 cents per kwh all in. I've been averaging 4.4 m/kwh since taking delivery in late may. (I haven't reset trip 2 since getting the car so I have a cumulative picture). Considered my previous car (alfa giulia) I had to run premium fuel. I'm saving a ton of money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So far, after 2 months of ownership, my cost for charging is $0.00. I have not used any "pay for" chargers, and my home charger (which is the Ford one that comes with the car) is hooked up about once a week, when I hit around 50% charge.

We have 21 solar panels, and haven't paid more than the minimum electricity charge of $9/month for a LONG time! 🤑

·
Registered
2021 Mach-e Premium Rapid Red EX-4
85 Posts
I take total electric bill divided by total KWH used and multiply that time 88. In PA our rate per KWH rate is .07544 but... there is Distribution charges and transmission charges when you add them all up it comes to .1245 per KWH

·
Registered
6 Posts
I take total electric bill divided by total KWH used and multiply that time 88. In PA our rate per KWH rate is .07544 but... there is Distribution charges and transmission charges when you add them all up it comes to .1245 per KWH
Just curious, where do you calculate your number as '88'?

I have a Mach E Premium, Standard Range, RWD, so trying to figure our my cost pre charge based on your method, which seemed quite sound.

Thanks...Jim

·
Registered
2021 Mach-e Premium Rapid Red EX-4
85 Posts
Just curious, where do you calculate your number as '88'?

I have a Mach E Premium, Standard Range, RWD, so trying to figure our my cost pre charge based on your method, which seemed quite sound.

Thanks...Jim
88K battery for extended range. In your case you you would multiply times 68 for the standard battery size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far, after 2 months of ownership, my cost for charging is $0.00. I have not used any "pay for" chargers, and my home charger (which is the Ford one that comes with the car) is hooked up about once a week, when I hit around 50% charge.

We have 21 solar panels, and haven't paid more than the minimum electricity charge of $9/month for a LONG time! 🤑
We’re in a similar situation. We installed 22 solar panels and have paid only the monthly connection fee for the past 2 years. We have net metering and our local utility “owes” us just under 5 mWh of electricity. We did take a joy ride to check out the EA station at the National Corvette Museum. We spent just over $6.00 there, so our total cost for electrons has been that $6.20.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now figure in the cost of your solar array over the estimated lifetime of the system. You may win the "Boobie Prize" for highest cost overall. I'm waiting still for system costs to come down enough to make it economical where I live, as we don't have a very high solar rating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now figure in the cost of your solar array over the estimated lifetime of the system. You may win the "Boobie Prize" for highest cost overall. I'm waiting still for system costs to come down enough to make it economical where I live, as we don't have a very high solar rating.
I’m 74. If I live to see the break even date for our solar array, that’ll be a plus. I also planted a tree this year. If I live long enough to sit in its shade, that’ll be a plus. If my as yet unborn great grandchildren can still visit the Florida Keys when they’re adults, that’ll also be a plus.
Life to me is more than a cost-benefit analysis. But that’s just me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts