Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All... When you ordered your MACH E, did the dealer want to mark it up above sticker price? I plan to discuss this with the local dealer but I thought I might ask what others have experienced first. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi All... When you ordered your MACH E, did the dealer want to mark it up above sticker price? I plan to discuss this with the local dealer but I thought I might ask what others have experienced first. Thanks!
OK couple different things. Online when you order a car, you'll get a summary, Look carefully to make sure your dealer hasn't added an adjustment. This will be reflected in the "dealer selling price" in my case when I ordered, my dealer had a $5k markup. I spoke with the dealership GM and got in writing a commitment to msrp and xplan pricing. And that's how things went, smooth and easy.

Some dealers are charging markup on ordered cars (ie not cancelled orders). Pretty sleazy for them to do but they can legally do it. To eliminate angst and worry for when the car finally comes in. When you order your car get some sort of written, email, text confirmation from dealer gm that they will honor msrp and if possible xplan (not all dealers do xplan). This way you don't get a nasty surprise when the car arrives. Here's a screenshot of my original order (and I as stated I did get xplan and msrp)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes in my experience in northern NJ most of them are adding markup on orders. I was asking about GT and of the 15 I called only 5 were not marking it up, and only 1 would take X-plan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You get a special discounted rate: "For non-Ford Motor Company employees, X-Plan provides an opportunity to experience the benefits of driving a Ford Motor Company vehicle. Selected individuals may be sponsored by a Ford Motor Company employee or may be eligible as an employee or member of a partner company or organization. Current X-Plan programs that recognize an ongoing relationship include: Supplier Partner Recognition, Fleet Account Employee Appreciation and Friends & Neighbors."

I didn't realize but when I checked my company was a partner and I was able to get through them.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sorry, what is X plan?
not all dealers accept it. easiest way to get xplan is join mustang club of america and be a member for at least 90 days before your car arrives. Xplan knocks about $800 off msrp, but also caps "doc fees" at less than $100. Quite a number of threads about this with more detail. BTW, you can also get xplan if you own 100 shares of ford stock for six months and apply for a PIN.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told by the dealer (Fremont Ford, California) that the only way to get a Mach E without paying a dealer premium was to order one and wait six months. That is what I did. Unlike the example above, my order page showed the dealer selling price equal to the MSRP, and the “Difference from total MSRP” line showed $0. When my vehicle finally arrived, the dealer tried to charge a $9995 premium. I was livid. I showed them the page that showed the dealer selling price being the same as the MSRP. He told me that was meaningless and I would have to pay the premium to take delivery. After a very short amount of back-and-forth, the sales manager told me he wanted me to be happy and would sell me the car at MSRP. I was totally confused, but completed the transaction. I spoke to two other local dealers, neither of which were marking up the customer ordered vehicles over MSRP.

it is one thing to be upfront about markups, and another completely unethical thing to say they would sell it at MSRP only to completely reversed course six months later. I felt like they were using their customer ordered vehicles to build their inventory when the customer refused to pay the markup and had to cancel the transaction. Then they could sell it to someone else at a huge mark up. Whether the original customer or a different customer paid the premium, they won. Sleazy.

If you do order one, make sure to get something in writing from the sales manager before moving forward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am still waiting on my Mach-E that I've ordered in June 2020 and just reviewed the status of my vehicle. I noticed that the price has changed and that the dealer added 5K to the price. The original price include only 1.5K. I have decided to cancel my order and await an EV from another manufacturer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is so maddening that the dealers can apparently get away with anything. Not list a premium on the order and then add one upon delivery. Add a premium and then increase it on a whim. Ford told me that since the dealers are independently owned, they have limited ability to do anything, but Ford really needs to get a handle on this.

A friend of mine forwarded me a link to the story where Ford is trying to get a handle on dealer shenanigans with respect to the F150 Lightning. The article says that Ford is threatening to withhold allocations of the Lightning if they don’t behave better as it is giving Ford a bad name

Ford to dealers: Stop 'threatening customers' by upselling F-150 Lightning reservations — USA TODAY

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I am still waiting on my Mach-E that I've ordered in June 2020 and just reviewed the status of my vehicle. I noticed that the price has changed and that the dealer added 5K to the price. The original price include only 1.5K. I have decided to cancel my order and await an EV from another manufacturer.
well don't you think before you do that, you just go to the dealer, explain you ordered at an agreed upon price, if they won't honor it THEN cancel. AND if they do agree then get it in WRITING from a human being with some authority at the dealership. I just don't understand why people at the time of ordering don't get a confirmation in writing from a human being at the dealership that you'll get it at msrp or agreed upon price. And if they won't commit, find another dealer.

Do you think any other new EV that comes out won't have the same ADM issues , waiting list etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was not concerned about the delivery timetable, but to add the extra dealer cost to my order really upsets me. As for another manufacturer, there will be more options for 2022 for an EV vehicle that will be just as good or better than the Mach-E. Just my two cents....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes in my experience in northern NJ most of them are adding markup on orders. I was asking about GT and of the 15 I called only 5 were not marking it up, and only 1 would take X-plan.
care to share the names of the names of the dealers not charging a mark up?
TIA

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,912 Posts
Unfortunately, any of the dealers who are selling popular EVs are pulling the ADM crap. See my post on the IONIQ 5 fiasco that occurred when Kyle Conner's (Out of Spec You Tuber) dad drove three hours to NH and was told that they would not sell the car to him for the price quoted by the salesman, just keep shopping around until you find a dealer with some integrity

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Unfortunately, any of the dealers who are selling popular EVs are pulling the ADM crap. See my post on the IONIQ 5 fiasco that occurred when Kyle Conner's (Out of Spec You Tuber) dad drove three hours to NH and was told that they would not sell the car to him for the price quoted by the salesman, just keep shopping around until you find a dealer with some integrity
yeah everyone seems to get worked up about the adm and thinking it's a ford thing. Dealers of all marques pull this with a popular car. EVs are just in the crosshairs right now, and ford particularly since they're the first big manufacturer to come up with a competitor to tesla.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Once my dealership got the "it is being shipped" notification from Ford, my dealer sent me a Purchase Agreement for my MME GTPE that I had ordered in Jan 2020.
I immediately noticed they had added $5000 to the agreed price on the Ford.com online papers. When i asked what this was about they told me that these are popular cars and everybody wants one.
I replied that everybody who wanted one should have ordered one like I and many others had done over the internet which is known as the World Wide Web as there are no restrictions.
They said that they are adding a markup of $5000 for ordered MME's and $15000 for in stock MME's. I got them down only $1000 and also the $500 deposit that I had paid to Ford so in the end I paid the $3500 more because I had been waiting for it for so long...Bastards.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Once my dealership got the "it is being shipped" notification from Ford, my dealer sent me a Purchase Agreement for my MME GTPE that I had ordered in Jan 2020.
I immediately noticed they had added $5000 to the agreed price on the Ford.com online papers. When i asked what this was about they told me that these are popular cars and everybody wants one.
I replied that everybody who wanted one should have ordered one like I and many others had done over the internet which is known as the World Wide Web as there are no restrictions.
They said that they are adding a markup of $5000 for ordered MME's and $15000 for in stock MME's. I got them down only $1000 and also the $500 deposit that I had paid to Ford so in the end I paid the $3500 more because I had been waiting for it for so long...Bastards.
While what dealers are doing to online buyers is legal, it's simply despicable. However, as long as buyers are willing to continue to pay ADM the dealers will charge whatever they can get. When ordering online a prospective buyer should go to the dealer and get a price in writing. I almost learned this the hard way when back in Jan. 2020 I reserved a Mach E online from Ford. Later that June when I was notified that my reservation could be converted to an order, the dealer that I had selected on the Ford website and who I had bought my Fusion from tacked on a $5000 ADM and refused to accept the X Plan discount saying the same thing as your dealer "This is a very popular car, and we won't honor the X Plan or sell at MSRP." I walked out the door and went to another dealer who, in writing guaranteed MSRP and the X Plan. Again, while I didn't enjoy being played by dealer #1, I understand that 'money talks' and they will get (extort) whatever they can.
I hope that you ultimately enjoy the MMe as much as I.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
While what dealers are doing to online buyers is legal, it's simply despicable. However, as long as buyers are willing to continue to pay ADM the dealers will charge whatever they can get. When ordering online a prospective buyer should go to the dealer and get a price in writing. I almost learned this the hard way when back in Jan. 2020 I reserved a Mach E online from Ford. Later that June when I was notified that my reservation could be converted to an order, the dealer that I had selected on the Ford website and who I had bought my Fusion from tacked on a $5000 ADM and refused to accept the X Plan discount saying the same thing as your dealer "This is a very popular car, and we won't honor the X Plan or sell at MSRP." I walked out the door and went to another dealer who, in writing guaranteed MSRP and the X Plan. Again, while I didn't enjoy being played by dealer #1, I understand that 'money talks' and they will get (extort) whatever they can.
I hope that you ultimately enjoy the MMe as much as I.
I definitely am enjoying my MME even after only having it for a few days so far!
But being that I don't live in the USA and I had reserved the MME online I was just perturbed that when the dealer accepted the online reservation and converted it to an order, the online papers from Ford had a spot on there where the dealer could put something and they didn't, it was left blank and I thought the final price was the MSRP. They waited until the notification from Ford that it was on the train a few days before receiving the car and sent me the Purchase Agreement with the ADM on it. That just didn't settle good with me and I let my salesman know about it and he basically said they can sell it by night fall for $15k more if I don't want it.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I definitely am enjoying my MME even after only having it for a few days so far!
But being that I don't live in the USA and I had reserved the MME online I was just perturbed that when the dealer accepted the online reservation and converted it to an order, the online papers from Ford had a spot on there where the dealer could put something and they didn't, it was left blank and I thought the final price was the MSRP. They waited until the notification from Ford that it was on the train a few days before receiving the car and sent me the Purchase Agreement with the ADM on it. That just didn't settle good with me and I let my salesman know about it and he basically said they can sell it by night fall for $15k more if I don't want it.
You are definitely in a unique situation from those of us with a bit more leverage. However, your weather and beaches are much nicer. 🏌️‍♂️🏄‍♀️

·
Registered
35 Posts
They will continue to mark up cars when folks like yourself pay for it. I checked every dealer in 100 mile radius BEFORE we ordered our GTPE and had a dealer 4 miles from us that agreed in writing to sell at msrp. Shultz Ford of wexford pa. Recd it no hassle pricing in Oct 2021. Remember the PT cruiser with adjustments of $5000 on a $20000 car? Never pay more.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts