Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard from my dealer contact that apparently there's a package of tools dealerships need so they can properly work on the Mach-E.

I don't have a list of exactly what those tools are, but apparently it costs the dealership about $15,000 to buy from corporate.

The issue is, cars are on the verge of being delivered and dealerships don't have the tools yet. And no word of when they'll get them. So if a customer gets a car and there's an issue shortly afterward, dealers might not have the tools to fix them.

·
Super Moderator
2,904 Posts
The most special component I would guess is the mechanism that is used to drop the battery safely. I also heard there was some sort of chemical tester for the coolant system. I wonder what kind of other gizmos are new.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just heard back from the dealer, he says the biggest one is a special charger to revive dead batteries and a "smoker", which basically measures cabin pressure's etc.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So is it a requirement for the dealership? For small rural dealerships who may sell 1 or 2 MMEs in the next year, it seems like a big cost.

·
Super Moderator
2,904 Posts
So is it a requirement for the dealership? For small rural dealerships who may sell 1 or 2 MMEs in the next year, it seems like a big cost.
The program is voluntary. If the independently-owned dealerships opted in, they put up the expense of tooling, charging, and training. In exchange, if they meet all requirements, they are EV certified and allowed to sell the upcoming BEVs.

Around 2/3 of all Ford dealerships signed up even with the up-front costs. After all, thats where the market is heading. In the end, Its just another business expense.

Its a bit nicer than the GM approach with Cadillac: $200k+ to convert, or we buy you out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My local dealer opted out. Big mistake, I think.

EVs are clearly the future. Like it or not, that is where the money is going...

·
Super Moderator
2,904 Posts
Do you have an MME on order with them? Maybe switching dealers might give them a nudge?
You can’t order the MMe from a dealer that didn’t participate in the certification process. They will lose out big-time. Especially with the F150e and the eTransit coming.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You can’t order the MMe from a dealer that didn’t participate in the certification process. They will lose out big-time. Especially with the F150e and the eTransit coming.
Correct. Ford gave my order to another dealer, 70 miles away. He was ecstatic, and said the hometown dealer couldn't sign up for maybe a year of so.

·
Registered
337 Posts
One of our FB fans is saying this is all BS by the way. He said his dealership has the parts.

He even posted pics
So what are these leak test adapters for? It looks like some sort of electrical adapter plug. The sheet on the picture mentions air leaks. Testing for leaks in HV battery case integrity? That case is a sealed aluminum case. Testing one of the coolant loops? The owners manual has no relevant references. I can't wait to get my hands on a manual that describes all the coolant/heating loops and how they work.

·
Registered
452 Posts
So what are these leak test adapters for? It looks like some sort of electrical adapter plug. The sheet on the picture mentions air leaks. Testing for leaks in HV battery case integrity? That case is a sealed aluminum case. Testing one of the coolant loops? The owners manual has no relevant references. I can't wait to get my hands on a manual that describes all the coolant/heating loops and how they work.
The battery pack needs to be sealed to keep in the coolant that is pumped through it.

A smoke test is performed on the sealed pack before filling it with coolant. If smoke escapes, it's not properly sealed.

You can watch a video demonstrating this on the WeberAuto YouTube channel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
These bloggers are such a joke. Scooping "news" from anxious customers, with zero fact checking.
After one says it, then 10 say it and reference the BS and after 10 say it then it is fact. Getting harder to get facts. EPA dyna numbers are facts and no hype can change that.

·
Registered
MME Premium extended range AWD
286 Posts
The most special component I would guess is the mechanism that is used to drop the battery safely. I also heard there was some sort of chemical tester for the coolant system. I wonder what kind of other gizmos are new.
I bet that mechanism to drop the battery is expensive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts