Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have ordered a '22 GT PE and if it lives up to the hype, I'll be driving it until either I croak, it turns back into its base elements, or the wheels pop off. I'm truly hoping this is another "half-million mile" car like my old VW Jetta diesel (RIP).

Old farts like me like to tinker around with our cars, and I'm not talking about flourescent eBay add-ons that attach with glue, but serious hot-rodding. This is one thing that almost turned me off to EVs, as there just isn't an aftermarket for performance parts yet. I think Ford, with the Mustang Mach-e, has an opportunity here that I hope they fully exploit. U.S. "Car culture" of modifying your ride is too important (and profitable, I think) to let wither and die with EVs just because they are perceived as more complex. The E-luminator crate motor is a good start, but as battery, software and motor technology improves, will I someday be able to go to the Ford parts counter or the aftermarket and order a 150 or 200 kWh "performance" solid-state battery pack? Upgraded inverters and on-board chargers? How about a tuner that allows me to "tweak" power curves (for off-road use only, of course). Better motors? Suspension upgrades? Superconductor power cables to the Flux Capacitor? (OK, that's a stretch)....
When the original IBM PC came out, "what you got is what you get." Nowadays, you can modify your PC with everything from "overclocked" processors to liquid cooling rigs and just about any tweak you can think of. I hope Ford is thinking similarly (and also a bit outside the box) as to the future of EV performance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, so I have ordered a '22 GT PE and if it lives up to the hype, I'll be driving it until either I croak, it turns back into its base elements, or the wheels pop off. I'm truly hoping this is another "half-million mile" car like my old VW Jetta diesel (RIP).

Old farts like me like to tinker around with our cars, and I'm not talking about flourescent eBay add-ons that attach with glue, but serious hot-rodding. This is one thing that almost turned me off to EVs, as there just isn't an aftermarket for performance parts yet. I think Ford, with the Mustang Mach-e, has an opportunity here that I hope they fully exploit. U.S. "Car culture" of modifying your ride is too important (and profitable, I think) to let wither and die with EVs just because they are perceived as more complex. The E-luminator crate motor is a good start, but as battery, software and motor technology improves, will I someday be able to go to the Ford parts counter or the aftermarket and order a 150 or 200 kWh "performance" solid-state battery pack? Upgraded inverters and on-board chargers? How about a tuner that allows me to "tweak" power curves (for off-road use only, of course). Better motors? Suspension upgrades? Superconductor power cables to the Flux Capacitor? (OK, that's a stretch)....
When the original IBM PC came out, "what you got is what you get." Nowadays, you can modify your PC with everything from "overclocked" processors to liquid cooling rigs and just about any tweak you can think of. I hope Ford is thinking similarly (and also a bit outside the box) as to the future of EV performance.
As an original IBM PC buyer and PC product reviewer I can assure you that the original PC (Thanks to Don Estridge at IBM) was an open architecture machine that was literally attacked by hardware and software vendors who modified everything but the basic bus. Companies started, thrived, failed, restarted, failed, and were wildly successful in that business. IBM didn't have to lift a finger.

Not so much in a car market that has become heavily safety regulated by the DOT and emissions regulated by the EPA. Wheels, tires, maybe springs, and bolt-ons are likely your best options!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts