Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bottom line, I want the cheapest EV that will replace both of my cars and allow me to drive from NC to NJ (480 miles) without costing me more than 15 minutes in additional travel time.
Spoiler alert here the above will not happen in a Strictly BEV. I think for that trip you will spend maybe extra half hour to an hour for charging to make it to your destination. If long distance traveling is something you do often and you have strict timing deadlines you want to keep might as well get a hybrid or normal ICE car for your travels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like the Model Y, but would choose the Mach-E because of several reasons:
1. I know Tesla is far advanced in their EV tech, but I trust Ford more for reliability. I also think the Mach-E is the first real threat to a Tesla from a legacy auto maker.
2. I think the Mach-E is a better value. Not ONLY because of the incentives still available, but as an overall in my opinion.
3. I don’t have a “distance” issue for a Tesla service center, but I hear horror stories and I see the place. They have cars parked on the grass along the road and in neighboring parking lots. Sometimes they even park them at the mall where a Tesla store is located because they don’t have space. I know I can trust the 8 Ford dealerships within my area.
What other incentives are available other than the federal credit? Do you think Ford will deliver some premium models this yr with shutdowns due to the virus?

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
What other incentives are available other than the federal credit? Do you think Ford will deliver some premium models this yr with shutdowns due to the virus?
each state varies. For instance: New Jersey does not charge any sales tax, offers $5000 purchase rebate for vehicles MSRP 55k or less (Waiting to see if this is base price before options), and $500 rebate towards home charger. So look around, your state (and city even) may have some goodies.
i Hope things get to a point in a few weeks where we start to see things roll again. I’m optimistic people will come together and do the right thing to get through this crisis.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One word, "Android Auto", actually 2 words ;-). Tesla OS sucks, I cannot even use regular google maps, only a castrated version of it. I need Google play music and not spotify ... "but you can open the glove box in the OS and only there" what a BS!
Also Tesla is to Applelike to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just curious who seriously considered a Model Y and why did you end up going with the Mach-E in the end?
I absolutely struggled between the Model Y and Mach E. The reasons I decided for Ford was $7,500 federal credit, I placed an order for 300 mile range, I like the style of the Ford. My biggest draw back is I hope ford fully takes advantage of OTA updates to improve range, efficiency, ability, etc of the car. My biggest regret so far of ordering the Mach E is not being able to pick the grabber blue for my “premium” model. They should’ve offered a unique color at least for premium that you couldn’t get with select.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One word, "Android Auto", actually 2 words ;-). Tesla OS sucks, I cannot even use regular google maps, only a castrated version of it. I need Google play music and not spotify ... "but you can open the glove box in the OS and only there" what a BS!
Also Tesla is to Applelike to me.
Android? ?? ? ??‍♂

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
720 Posts
My first car was a 1966 Ford Mustang GT, complete with disc brakes, dual exhaust, rallye pack, 4 on the floor convertible with manual top to save weight, British Racing Green with black interior. I installed seat belts with shoulder straps bolted to the floor in the foot well of the rear passenger seat. It was my favorite car ever! However, after three years of winter driving in Syracuse, NY it had rusted out. So when the new Mustang EV was announced I immediately put down a $500 deposit for the First Edition in red.

Now that the Tesla Y has come out and I have watched many youtube videos I am not as sure. I will wait and see how the build quality, ride and interior of the two compare. I am not interested in the full self driving autonomy of the MY which is $7000 extra. I presently have a Ford Edge Sport (second one) which I lease. We love the car. I do not want to buy - I prefer to lease. I suspect the Mustang EV will lease out much better than the MY which may be a determining factor. For long trips I intend to keep the Sport as I really do not want to spend 45 minutes to an hour charging the car on the road - especially at night.

·
Registered
720 Posts
This is not a real "comparison": it a comparison of specifications - not how the cars perform in the real world.

This video was posted on you tube over 1 month ago - it is not current.

But there is a real problem in this video: It does not take into account the Federal Tax credit of $7,500 plus any state tax credits which will reduce the price of the Mustang EV to below the price of the Tesla Long range AWD.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Also the fact that, like all similar comparisons right now, there are no actual definite specs for the e right now. It's all guesses and estimates until finalized

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
997 Posts
This video was posted on you tube over 1 month ago - it is not current.
Considering most of the specs we have on the MME are still guesstimates, I don't really see how this is so out of date.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I test drove both a Tesla Model 3 Performance and a Jaguar I-Pace 400S. Both cars handled well, both were fast (the 3P was noticably faster), but what stood out was how cheap the 3P's interior looked. The Mach-E's interior looks much nicer. I was sliding around a lot in the 3P's seat during violent maneuvers (I autox). The Mach-E offers an optional Performance seat.

But the real Tesla-killing factor is the styling. The Model 3P looks like a bar of soap, and the Model Y looks even worse (the back half of the Y is out of proportion). Best-looking of the bunch is the I-Pace. But ALL of the Teslas have the same problem...too-conservative styling. Even the new $200k Roadster suffers from too-timid styling (in comparison to it's similiarily-priced competitors). There's just no visual excitement there.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have driven the Model 3 and I found the seats quite comfortable and supportive. Of course, I did not race the car, nor do I intend to. If you intend to race either than the competition seats in the Mustang might be necessary. However, when I placed my order for the First Edition performance seats were not an option.

Styling is purely subjective. Based on the consumer acceptance of both the Model 3, Model Y and the Model S, I think it is safe to say there are enough people who find the Tesla styling just fine. I prefer the styling of the Mustang, but that is purely personal.

Interior: Here I tend to agree with you: having been in the Model 3 with my friend and his 15 year old son, his son had to tell his dad how to adjust many common things that in most cars are done with a simple button. Having to use the drop-down menu to adjust a mirror seems just plain stupid to me. I really like both the huge knob on the Mustang center screen and the speedometer and range directly in front on the dashboard.

The minimalistic interior of the Tesla model Y is not a deal buster for me. But I am old school and love gauges for everything. So, given the choice I rather have more gauges than fewer.

One final point: in many of the videos on YouTube for the Tesla Model Y they point out that on the center screen now appears stop signs, traffic lights, etc. To me this utterly useless information: When I drive, I will be looking forward through the windshield and not down on the screen – and hopefully other drivers will be doing the same!

When you are driving you want your attention to be where you are driving – not looking at a center screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious who seriously considered a Model Y and why did you end up going with the Mach-E in the end?
I wanted to buy from a local dealer who will personally support me and be there for maintenance and repair when I need them. I hear Tesla is good with support and repair, but I prefer the old fashion dealer relationship. If the all electric, AWD Mach-E had not come along, I was going to buy a Model Y.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
127 Posts
I just completed a Model Y test drive. It's extremely fun to drive. The crazy acceleration is addictive, and the handling was good, a slight tendency to roll but only at speeds typically above my comfort level. The high center console gained a thumbs-down from me, impacting driver comfort. I also wanted the convenience of local support & service, so I'm going with the Mach E from a local dealership. Hopefully the Mach E will be just as much fun once I get behind the wheel.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just completed a Model Y test drive. It's extremely fun to drive. The crazy acceleration is addictive, and the handling was good, a slight tendency to roll but only at speeds typically above my comfort level. The high center console gained a thumbs-down from me, impacting driver comfort. I also wanted the convenience of local support & service, so I'm going with the Mach E from a local dealership. Hopefully the Mach E will be just as much fun once I get behind the wheel.
Will not the MME have a similar high center console?

Let us know what you think after driving the MME. I have driven both the Model S and 3 and they are fun.

I intend to drive both the Model Y and the MME and then make my decision - plus the Audi Q4eTron.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts