Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - My MME arrives around April 10 to my Orlando Florida dealership. (By the way, I'm getting Premium - Extended AWD - Infinite Blue.) I'm getting estimates from Electricians to get the 240V outlet installed. Because I typically won't go anywhere near the rated 270 miles/charge, I'm just going to plug in each night, using my (mounted) Mobile Charger. My dilemma is that I don't have the Mobile Charger yet, and I cannot find info about the brackets on the back (IF there are brackets on the back!) First of all, does it make sense to do what I'm doing (so that each evening I only have to plug the Mobile Charger into my car)? Second, can anyone give me info as to what to tell the Electrician regarding installing brackets for the Mobile Charger (and additional brackets for the Cord)? Ideally, I would also be able to easily "un-mount" the Mobile Charger so I can take it with me on weekend/week-long trips.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Rex

·
Registered
Premium RWD SR Black
77 Posts
Hi All - My MME arrives around April 10 to my Orlando Florida dealership. (By the way, I'm getting Premium - Extended AWD - Infinite Blue.) I'm getting estimates from Electricians to get the 240V outlet installed. Because I typically won't go anywhere near the rated 270 miles/charge, I'm just going to plug in each night, using my (mounted) Mobile Charger. My dilemma is that I don't have the Mobile Charger yet, and I cannot find info about the brackets on the back (IF there are brackets on the back!) First of all, does it make sense to do what I'm doing (so that each evening I only have to plug the Mobile Charger into my car)? Second, can anyone give me info as to what to tell the Electrician regarding installing brackets for the Mobile Charger (and additional brackets for the Cord)? Ideally, I would also be able to easily "un-mount" the Mobile Charger so I can take it with me on weekend/week-long trips.

Rex
The mobile charger is just that - mobile. It doesn't mount to the wall. You just plug it into either a standard 120V NEMA 5-15 plug (Level 1 charging) or a 240V NEMA 14-50 plug (Level 2 charging). Give your electrician copies of pages 153-154 of the Mach-E owner's manual and that should give them everything they need to install a dedicated circuit & plug for the mobile charger. You should get a 240V circuit installed with at least 40A (the minimum amperage needed to use the mobile charger at peak capacity) and with a NEMA 14-50 plug.

If you ever want to upgrade to a dedicated charger in the future then you may want to get a 50A circuit installed now. The dedicated charger is when you need to understand how it mounts and if it needs to be hard wired (in which case you'll need to have the electrician come back to do that) or can use the NEMA 14-50 plug that the mobile charger uses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rex: I'll add to what the previous poster said. The mobile charger has a 'brick' where the modular plug fits into it, so you can choose 120v or 240v plug. That 'brick' does have a mounting bracket that comes with it. That mounting bracket is just a simple piece of plastic. It attaches to a wall with two screws. You would need an area about 8 inches below the outlet to mount the 'brick' to the wall. Best of luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ran my line to a RV/EV power outlet. I use the mobile charger to connect to that outlet.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Rex
This will help.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just an add on to the post above. The Ford mobile charger is typically mounted below the outlet which means putting the ground pin on the NEMA 14-50 receptacle on the top side of the receptacle. I have a wall mounted plug in version of the Juice Box 40 and the cord for plugging in the unit comes out of the bottom of the unit putting the receptacle location below the unit and the proper location of the ground pin of the receptacle at the bottom of the receptacle. So I could still use the Ford mobile charger, but I would have to orient it upside down based on the ground pin location if you can follow my explanation. I do not anticipate having to use the mobile charger except if my Juice Box would fail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.