Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is still early days, but based on the leaked specs, I can't shake the feeling that the Mach-E is a swing and a miss for Ford. We all know that the Tesla model Y was the target for this vehicle. So knowing that, why didn't Ford make sure that it beat the Tesla in every category possible? The Tesla, depending on the trim level, still has equal or better range, faster charging potential with the updated Supercharger network, equal or better performance specs and comparable or even better pricing. (Yes, I know there will be a $7,500 tax credit for a limited time, but a tax credit does not necessarily mean $7500 can be taken off the price). In addition, the Tesla has an advanced autopilot system and a lauded user interface that Ford will likely not have an answer for in the short term. More importantly, Tesla has for the moment, captured that elusive pop culture zeitgeist that Ford has not had since the launch of the original Mustang back in 1964. I am a die hard Ford fan but I would never argue that Ford has the same brand appeal as Tesla does right now. So, why would anybody pony up (pun intended) $60k+ for Ford's first year top of the line electric when they can have the proven Tesla design with equal or better specs for roughly the same money? To be a home run the Mach-E needs to match or exceed the Tesla and do it for less money. I sure hope Ford has an ace up their sleeve when they roll out the big reveal Sunday...........

·
Registered
612 Posts
LOL. "proven Tesla design".
I get that Tesla has a lot going for it, but seriously, so many Teslas are barely road-worth. They're falling apart in owners hands.
Elon has done amazing things for the EV movement, but wow.... they have a lot to learn still.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tesla vehicles have had their share of issues but a lot of the teething issues can be blamed on Elon Musk building a car company from the ground up and also pushing the envelope on technologies such as autopilot. That said, they still have far more experience than Ford does making electric vehicles. Do you think Ford is going to make a brand new electric platform and not have problems? Look at how many issues Ford has had lately trying to get the new Exploror made. There are literally hundreds, maybe thousands of them sitting up at the Flat Rock plant waiting to be diagnosed with electrical and mechanical issues. Also, let's be honest. Ford rushed the Mach-E to market. It is a quick attempt to make a "me too" electric vehicle so Ford has something to try to compete with Tesla while they work on a better version 2.0 electric. The Mustang styling and name is the shock value that Ford hopes will get people to buy it. Other than that there is nothing about this CUV that differentiates it from Tesla and even worse, it is a 80% copy at a 100% price point and If you think Ford isn't copying Tesla go look at the interior shots again. Henry Ford was an innovator. Many things that we take for granted on vehicles were invented by Ford. Where has the true groundbreaking innovation gone? I am dissapointed because it seems like Ford is constantly playing catch up instead of leading. They had an opportunity to knock this one out of the park. They could have made something so interesting that it would have created the excitement the the 1964 Mustang did. The Mach-E is not that vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The best the Mach E can do is match the Tesla Y. There isnt really one thing its significantly better at except getting your $7500 tax credit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Y'all,
This car is going to be the next big thing. Ford's making Mustang a brand not a model, get over it. Great Marketing! Demand will be great. People will line up.... Ford must meet production requirements and quality or it will fail...
Lendon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm...ouches: Made in Mexico (forget MAGA); so so range; red lips for a front end; Ravy-like booty; anything else?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Who cares where it's made? This is 2019 nearly everything we purchase is manufactured in another country. Watch how many cars start coming in from China in the next ten years. It's the best looking under $50k electric car... Right? They all look too much like a lozenge. Just remember Tesla can't even sell in every state because of dealership laws... Raises the bar for entry. Ford is everywhere. Going to be huge...lol
Lendon

·
Registered
6 Posts
The best the Mach E can do is match the Tesla Y. There isnt really one thing its significantly better at except getting your $7500 tax credit.
So you are saying that is comparable to a Tesla, but the Tesla will cost 20.5% more with the tax credit ($7500/$36.5K) and will include a full dealer network in case there is problem? I would say that is SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know it is still early days, but based on the leaked specs, I can't shake the feeling that the Mach-E is a swing and a miss for Ford. We all know that the Tesla model Y was the target for this vehicle. So knowing that, why didn't Ford make sure that it beat the Tesla in every category possible? The Tesla, depending on the trim level, still has equal or better range, faster charging potential with the updated Supercharger network, equal or better performance specs and comparable or even better pricing. (Yes, I know there will be a $7,500 tax credit for a limited time, but a tax credit does not necessarily mean $7500 can be taken off the price). In addition, the Tesla has an advanced autopilot system and a lauded user interface that Ford will likely not have an answer for in the short term. More importantly, Tesla has for the moment, captured that elusive pop culture zeitgeist that Ford has not had since the launch of the original Mustang back in 1964. I am a die hard Ford fan but I would never argue that Ford has the same brand appeal as Tesla does right now. So, why would anybody pony up (pun intended) $60k+ for Ford's first year top of the line electric when they can have the proven Tesla design with equal or better specs for roughly the same money? To be a home run the Mach-E needs to match or exceed the Tesla and do it for less money. I sure hope Ford has an ace up their sleeve when they roll out the big reveal Sunday...........
A couple of things (just my opinion):
1. The 1965 Mustang sold more in 18 months than Telsa has sold it TEN YEARS. It was a mass market car. The average Tesla buyer has 3-4 vehicles already and is very wealthy. The sales volumes for Telsa is still small. Tesla is NOT a "pop culture" icon like Mustang was, not even close.
2. This vehicle's target statistically may be Tesla, but its market is broader than those looking for a Tesla. It is for the Mustang owner who might want a more utilitarian car that is easier to get in and out of. It is for the person looking for a small but luxury car/SUV that may stumble upon this at a dealer. These people may never consider a Tesla.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So you are saying that is comparable to a Tesla, but the Tesla will cost 20.5% more with the tax credit ($7500/$36.5K) and will include a full dealer network in case there is problem? I would say that is SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER.
I sincerely hope you're right about the dealer network. There are legitimate concerns about the training and commitment required for the existing Ford dealership organizations to be "certified EV dealers," and Ford (corporate) will need to figure out how to incentivize a non-captive dealer network to push these vehicles--particularly when you look at what the dealer profit is likely to be. Don't be surprised to see A/X/Z plan suspended for this range of vehicles...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be fair, Tesla did not even make a mass market vehicle until very recently with the model 3. They have also been constrained by production issues that come with building a car company from the ground up. The point is that Tesla is a desirable brand. People want to be seen in them and they are considered far more upmarket than the Ford nameplate. They are part of pop culture right now. Elon Musk is in the news constantly with new and even wilder ideas. He built a space company, Tesla is soon to reveal an electric truck and their electric semi is already in field testing. People are excited about Tesla and what they will be doing in the future. The point in all of this was, if Ford wants to compete with that momentum right now, you don't launch a Ford electric at a Tesla price. Not to mention throwing the Mustang name on it in the hope that aging Gen Xers will buy this because it reminds them of their youth. I am 47. If I want a Mustang, I will actually go out and buy a Mustang. I am sorry I just don't see any of this as a good idea. If Ford would have launched something extremely sporty looking and electric and called it the Thunderbird or some other name they could resurrect, I would be all for it. I just don't think this was the way to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The mach E is slower, has less range, and will be more expensive when the tax credits run out
Yea its disappointing

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sincerely hope you're right about the dealer network. There are legitimate concerns about the training and commitment required for the existing Ford dealership organizations to be "certified EV dealers," and Ford (corporate) will need to figure out how to incentivize a non-captive dealer network to push these vehicles--particularly when you look at what the dealer profit is likely to be. Don't be surprised to see A/X/Z plan suspended for this range of vehicles...
A/X/Z Pricing will be available on this vehicle. Ford Announced it to employees. Look it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The mach E is slower, has less range, and will be more expensive when the tax credits run out
Yea its disappointing
Looks like the states are nearly identical. How are you seeing "slower" and "less range" and "more expensive?"

Also the Base Telsa will be 20%+ more than the Mustang Mach E with the tax credit. That is a HUGE discount for at least several months of sales.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like the states are nearly identical. How are you seeing "slower" and "less range" and "more expensive?"

Also the Base Telsa will be 20%+ more than the Mustang Mach E with the tax credit. That is a HUGE discount for at least several months of sales.
0-60 is 6.5 for mach e, 5.9 for model Y
cost mach E is $43,895, model Y is $39,000

The AWD mach e only has 210mi range, which is less than the model Y

·
Registered
21 Posts
0-60 is 6.5 for mach e, 5.9 for model Y
cost mach E is $43,895, model Y is $39,000

The AWD mach e only has 210mi range, which is less than the model Y
Your numbers seem to be off from what is published on the Tesla website for Model Y.

Tesla Model Y: $48,000 (purchase price and no options) rear drive long range for 300mi range and 5.5s 0-60mph

Mach E Select: $43,895 rear drive standard range for 230mi of range and low 6s 0-60mph
Mach E California RT 1: $52,400 rear drive extended range for 300mi of range and mid 6s 0-60mph

·
Registered
40 Posts
The smart money will purchase a Model Y unless Ford discounts the Mach-E. My guess is that they will offer discounts. Also, Ford has partnered with EA for charging. EA is not the most reliable network with lots of complaints. I hope they get this fixed before people start buying the Mach-E. On the plus side, the largest battery is ~100kWh, which is larger than Tesla. My guess is the real range will be more like 375-400 miles, which is a huge advantage IMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts