Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Mustang Mach-E, F-150 EV, Transit EV and a 2023 Volkswagen MEB-based EV (for Europe) as the first electric cars from Ford, do you consider them a leader in EV tech? If not, then what needs to be done?

At the moment, Tesla is taking the lead (especially with shares at $1,000) but Ford, VW and many other automakers are quickly catching up. VW alone has big plans already in the works that could help the Ford-VW alliance produce more than just the confirmed 2023 EV.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback / 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Select RWD SR
75 Posts
In my opinion, I will wait 2 years before stating that Ford is a leader in EVs. There is still a lot of Tesla and Nissan on the road and that's still the first choice of most EV buyers. Start to see some Kona too. The C-Max and the electric version of the Focus was not a big hit in Canada with the low range.

But if the MME don't have to much issue it will put them in a good spot later.

·
Registered
Grabber Blue FE
77 Posts
Not in my opinion. Ford is actually behind the curve. However, they have made an impressive move with the ability to put together the MACH-E in about a 3 year window. But they are way behind Tesla on tech and self driving AI. But I think they can catch Tesla where Tesla is weak. That is in customer service/support and in fit and finish. That will woo customers from Tesla because Tesla seems to be oblivious to the issues from a customer service standpoint.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Announcements and plans do not products make. You can't possibly call a company who CURRENTLY has ZERO BEV's and run-of-the-mill hybrids a leader in EV's by any measurement. Their copilot 2.0 isn't due to be available until next May or June and could be delayed 3-5 years like Tesla's FSD. Beyond that, the only information we have on the Mach E's battery efficiency puts it at the back half of the pack in mi/kwh. What precisely is cutting edge here? That 4 BEV's MAY be available by 2023? Even GM leads Ford in announcements and actual BEVs available today.

·
Super Moderator
1,224 Posts
One innovative thing ahead of the competition is the use of the A/B partitions for over-the-air updates. This allows for most updates to apply in 10 seconds. No need to watch the bar move or to even schedule.

Thats the type of innovation that needs to be seen on the other components, such as battery pack layout/usage and electric motor design.

The rest of the vehicle, outside of the electric components, should meet or exceed Tesla. Such as build quality, ergonomics, Suspension, ride and handling.

when you look at the MMe as a whole, it is more competitive than the individual parts.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,009 Posts
Ford is talking a good talk. Let's see if they actually move into the lead. The Mach E is a nice start but the F-150e will be a big entry. The Transit-E will be huge entry because so many companies are pledging to go green and their fleets are a great way to do it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not in my opinion. Ford is actually behind the curve. However, they have made an impressive move with the ability to put together the MACH-E in about a 3 year window. But they are way behind Tesla on tech and self driving AI. But I think they can catch Tesla where Tesla is weak. That is in customer service/support and in fit and finish. That will woo customers from Tesla because Tesla seems to be oblivious to the issues from a customer service standpoint.
That's the problem with big companies, they can't move fast like the small guys.

I still have hope for Ford.

They haven't shown anyone EV plans beyond the models in my OP (unlike Mercedes, Volkswagen Group, BMW and Toyota that have extensive plans) and that could change if they develop a dedicated EV platform. The MME rides on the Global Electrified 1 (GE1) platform, a modified version of whats under the European-spec Focus.

There are also talks of more Volkswagen MEB-based Ford EV's:

‘Yes, we are in talks about this,’ the head of Ford Europe, Stuart Rowley, told the publication. Rowley added that it does not make any sense ‘to produce only one car based on MEB’. Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess, speaking with the VW employee newspaper, has also announced the possibility of a ‘new supply contract for a second vehicle’.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts