Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how folks feel about the First Edition’s (actually a limited edition) collectibility? Will it command a higher price as a used vehicle?
Later on, will the lack of an internal combustion engine reduce its desirability for collectors?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m sure they might be as the USA only gets 20k of those. But also depends on what VIN it is as well if it’s one of the first ones off line then I’m sure that one will be worth more

·
Registered
14 Posts
Until the tax credit expires, I think the Mach E will depreciate substantially in the first year. Why would you buy a used car when you can get a new car for the same price after the tax credit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Until the tax credit expires, I think the Mach E will depreciate substantially in the first year. Why would you buy a used car when you can get a new car for the same price after the tax credit?
Don't get this. Wouldn't the new car cost $7500 MORE than the price of the car bought a year ago with the tax credit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think what will happen is what happened with the Teslas. People going to buy these MAch-E with Cash to get the tax credit then after say 6mos sell them then the dealer will try and sell them almost at normal price to try and make up the difference cause the demand will be high. The depreciation is extremely high at least on the Teslas it was so only time will tell.

So a cash buyer pays 55k for his Mach E minus the 7500 tax credit which only cost 47500. Most people who can afford cash have enough taxes to cover the full credit amount. So after 6 mos ownership he sells the car or trades in for another car or electric car he will get probably 43 or 44k depending on mileage. So he only out maybe 3k if that much. So the next person who buys that car will probably be paying around 49 -51k for the used version. So buying these cars 2nd hand is not the best idea when it is so new. At least what I saw with some of the Model 3 when they came first came out.

People buy them then shortly after they sell them for a profit or try to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A car, EV or ICE, is not an investment. Its an expense. No one should go in thinking they will make a profit off this. If the MMe is at least as good as it looks on paper, depreciation may not be as bad as traditional ICE are.

the first run, and more-so the first editions, may be worth something to collectors 25+ years from now (as will the first Teslas) especially if the MMe turns out to be the first game-changer for the legacy auto makers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never that naive to make a profit but trying to reduce depreciation cost due to buying the right model and color that increases desirablity in the resale market.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
106 Posts
Once these eventually become collector's items, I expect the FE, especially a unique color like Grabber Blue and a low VIN will fetch the highest value.

I’m sure they might be as the USA only gets 20k of those.
Actually, it looks like the FE numbers are much lower:
50,000 1st year production
30,000 slated for Europe in first year
6-10% unconfirmed estimates of FE allocation
All FE reservation slots filled in US in nine days
My estimate is 1,200-2,000 US FEs,
~25% in Grabber Blue?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Once these eventually become collector's items, I expect the FE, especially a unique color like Grabber Blue and a low VIN will fetch the highest value.
Exactly. The question isn't directed at the Mach E being an investment, it is more of a forward looking situation. Cars eventually deemed "classics" initially depreciated like any other car, but as their "mystique" grew and they were seen to be "ground breaking" their resale value actually increases over time. If the Mach E follows its Pony predecessors, then yes 25 years from now a first edition mach E will most certainly be more valuable than a second year premium edition. How much that difference is in actual cash terms will be highly dependent on the success of the Mach E as a product line: A FE could end up being highly valued like a Shelby Cobra, or scrap metal like a Granada.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think only a gabber blue car has a higher value.
I had a limited , 500 made, Parnelli Jones special edition Salween Mustang. The dash was personally signed by him. It never kept its value. So to answer your question no car truly holds its value unless you keep it maybe 30-40 years. The only car that I know of that holds its value so far is the ford GT. The raptor does however the $25,000 mark up destroys it as well. Msrp would work but you cannot buy them at msrp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Never that naive to make a profit but trying to reduce depreciation cost due to buying the right model and color that increases desirablity in the resale market.
Just lease it then and get the color you want. Won't change those terms. But in all actuality you're looking at a few hundred bucks difference after anything longer than a lease anyway

1 - 17 of 17 Posts