Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much to admire and be excited about with Mach E...but I'm concerned about the interior door handles. Perhaps someone can provide more detail? As I understand it, the front doors have a mechanical override on the interior in case of post-crash power loss so front passengers can exit. But, the rear interior door handles are electronic only... no manual override in case of power loss and the capacitors discharge. Is this another situation like Tesla where the advice is for rear passengers to crawl out through the front? I am so hoping not. Anyone have better/more info? TIA

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have no idea, but I'd be surprised if the door handles from the INSIDE aren't a standard mechanical release. From the inside there's no reason to have it automatically push the door out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Far down in the article, it explains the issue that concerns me. Here is the actual text:

"As for getting out of the vehicle in such a situation, Ford says the little levers shown above that require only a few millimeters of movement to activate the electric latches can be forced rearward farther than just a few millimeters. Doing so mechanically unlatches the doors. Ford says this mechanical release is only present in the front doors, so if the electric system (and the windows) fails for some reason, and you’re in the rear seat, you’ll need to jump up to the first row to get out."

·
Registered
57 Posts
No need for a mechanical release. Modern cars with rear doors are already mechanically disabled from the inside with child locks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If one wishes to use a child lock, they may. This may be (with Tesla Model 3) one of only two vehicles on the market with 4 doors but no mechanical rear door mechanism, so the need is not absent at all. I have not actuated child locks in decades and many without children have no need, but expect the rear doors to be able to be opened, especially in an emergency, such as after a significant crash, possibly after loss of power. Ford apparently feels there is a need for both power and mechanical releases on the front doors. Why are rear seat passengers deserving of less ability to exit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts