Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that's looking to take their Mach-E on a road trip, here's an example of what a trip from New York to Chicago would look like.

Using a http://abetterrouteplanner.com a person on Twitter able to calculate the arrival charge, departure charge, charge duration, charge cost, distance and duration for the whole trip.

Mustang Mach-E Trip New York to Chicago

·
Registered
7 Posts
Using $2.55/gallon as an average price between all the traveled states and a 2020 escape as a reference @ 33mpg highway or and edge @ 28mpg highway for 805 miles. $62.20 to $73.31 for fuel costs. Both would need to stop for fuel only once to make the trip if you started with a full tank so about 4 hours faster but I don’t think you need the full up charge at the last stop in this route plan so maybe only 3 hours difference? I might be reading that wrong though.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using $2.55/gallon as an average price between all the traveled states and a 2020 escape as a reference @ 33mpg highway or and edge @ 28mpg highway for 805 miles. $62.20 to $73.31 for fuel costs. Both would need to stop for fuel only once to make the trip if you started with a full tank so about 4 hours faster but I don’t think you need the full up charge at the last stop in this route plan so maybe only 3 hours difference? I might be reading that wrong though.
Those numbers seem right to me, though math was not my best subject haha.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think what's wrong is the EA charging rate - in network the rate is $.70 /min instead of $.99/min. So EA cost should be $124, assuming this is an ER trim model. Note the EVgo rate is not there, which I believe is on the order of $.31/min - so for an hour of charging at the end add $19.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Remember they changed the pricing for ev rates to be by kw not by minute. Once that policy takes effect you will only be charged by kw instead of by minute like it is now so should be cheaper

edit

my mistake it was only California that put a ban on per minute pricing for EVs. They will use on price per kwh

·
Registered
33 Posts
This must be for a Standard 76 KWH battery --- the LR 99 KWH battery should easily do that with only 3 en-route stops.
Also, the leg times listed indicate only a little over 60 mph cruise --- should get over 3 miles/KWH at that speed unless very cold.
Should only take about 268 KWH’s at a cost of about $90 or so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Need a little help understanding the charges. My Cmax averages 43.6 miles per gallon of gas. 805 miles divided by 43.6 = 18.46 gals x $2.69 = $49.66. The EV cost $178. I must be missing something here. Please help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Need a little help understanding the charges. My Cmax averages 43.6 miles per gallon of gas. 805 miles divided by 43.6 = 18.46 gals x $2.69 = $49.66. The EV cost $178. I must be missing something here. Please help!
Yep, charging from a network like EA or Tesla’s will definitely be more expensive than gas at those prices.

Remember though that most EV owners will be doing the majority of their charging on home chargers with KWH rates that are 1/3 or less of those rates.

On the flip side though --- consider that each gal. of gas has a Fed & State Gas tax of 50 to 75 cents for building and maintaining roads, bridges, etc. --- amounts to Billions of $’s per year in taxes.

Once EV sales get beyond the small 1% or so of current vehicle sales, the free ride will be over and the DOT’s will make sure all pay their fair share --- probably with something like say an additional $350 annual Registration Fee for EV’s.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm not sure what settings they used, but when I select the SR RWD I get a cost of $99 in the planner, which is the non-preferred rate of $.70/min for charging. At the member rate for EA it would be $71 plus the cost of greenlots (ABRP doesn't have that). My settings are below, but I used the defaults for mi/kwh at 65 and set my speed to 10% over that

·
Registered
182 Posts
hmm, changing to AWD ER with 20 degree temps I get $147 calculated ($106 at EA member price). It looks like they configured for longer stops with charging over 80% - which is more expensive per kwhr since it is time-based billing and the charge rate decreases significantly. There is still the stop at greenlots not included in pricing:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for everyone that responded to my post. Here in Illinois they are tacking on an additional $100. year to vehicle registrations for EV cars. I'm going to Chicago Auto show this weekend to see the mach e. From the photos they will have a white and Rapid red one. I am going to bring a copy of my reservation to see if they will let me sit in it. I really dought it though. Does anyone know if the $500. or $1000. voucher that Ford gives you can be used when we purchase the car. Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for everyone that responded to my post. Here in Illinois they are tacking on an additional $100. year to vehicle registrations for EV cars. I'm going to Chicago Auto show this weekend to see the mach e. From the photos they will have a white and Rapid red one. I am going to bring a copy of my reservation to see if they will let me sit in it. I really dought it though. Does anyone know if the $500. or $1000. voucher that Ford gives you can be used when we purchase the car. Thanks!
what voucher is that?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm, changing to AWD ER with 20 degree temps I get $147 calculated ($106 at EA member price). It looks like they configured for longer stops with charging over 80% - which is more expensive per kwhr since it is time-based billing and the charge rate decreases significantly. There is still the stop at greenlots not included in pricing:
View attachment 655
That's really interesting, I wish I knew what the person's settings were when they put together the calculations that I posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This calculation shows that the enroute charging is too expensive for a full EV. My 2020 BMW 530e PHEV has about a 25 mile EV range and as a "super-hybrid" gets close to 40 MPG on the highway, without charging. It serves 100% of my local use in full EV mode, but I do have to charge after every trip. That's not a problem for my home charger. So, using the C-max data, my fuel cost would be a little more than $50 vs. $178 for on-road charging. For someone with a need for more than 25 mi EV range opting for a full EV, this on-road charging is an "extra" cost one would pay for the ability to have a single vehicle and is an acceptable trade-off over the costs of a second vehicle. Given today's conditions, a PHEV is a much better financial proposition for someone whose daily use fits into an EV range of 25 miles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This calculation shows that the enroute charging is too expensive for a full EV. My 2020 BMW 530e PHEV has about a 25 mile EV range and as a "super-hybrid" gets close to 40 MPG on the highway, without charging. It serves 100% of my local use in full EV mode, but I do have to charge after every trip. That's not a problem for my home charger. So, using the C-max data, my fuel cost would be a little more than $50 vs. $178 for on-road charging. For someone with a need for more than 25 mi EV range opting for a full EV, this on-road charging is an "extra" cost one would pay for the ability to have a single vehicle and is an acceptable trade-off over the costs of a second vehicle. Given today's conditions, a PHEV is a much better financial proposition for someone whose daily use fits into an EV range of 25 miles.
My conclusion as well: I drive 100mi a day so I want a BEV, while my wife drives <20 per day so I am trying to convince her of a PHEV that would be the "road trip" car. I think that makes the most sense economically while doing the least ecological damage. But, it would be nice to take a long trip with the autopilot capabilities of the Mach E

·
Registered
70 Posts
For anyone that's looking to take their Mach-E on a road trip, here's an example of what a trip from New York to Chicago would look like.

Using a http://abetterrouteplanner.com a person on Twitter able to calculate the arrival charge, departure charge, charge duration, charge cost, distance and duration for the whole trip.

View attachment 603
So my BMW diesel sedan gets 46+ mpg on the highway and goes 700+ miles on a tank full... Got to be careful about KWH cost...One needs to be able to convert it into cost per mile like gas and diesel. If my diesel is $2.76 per gallon, my cost is 6 cents a mile. The quoted cost was of this hypothetical trip was 22 cents a gallon. And I barely have to stop for fuel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the last at least 4 years, while at the auto show sign up for a test drive with Ford. They send you $50 gift card and usually has an auto show special voucher for $500 to $1000. I bought my Focus using one of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts