·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
975 Posts
Interesting calculation they’ve done on Ford’s EV sales. Edmunds figures Ford only has ~50,000 cars to sell before the Federal EV tax incentive drops. That’s means if you want the $7500, you’d better get a first year Mach E.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Interesting calculation they’ve done on Ford’s EV salutes. Edmunds figures Ford only has ~50,000 cars to sell before the Federal EV tax incentive drops. That’s means if you want the $7500, you’d better get a first year Mach E.
I'm not sure that is true - a significant portion of those cars will be sold overseas - which means there will be no federal $7500 rebate for them. I would hope that the 200k limit is for cars eligible for the fed rebate (ie sold in the US), not 200k electric cars produced.

·
Registered
566 Posts
from the fueleconomy.org article here:
The credit begins to phase out for vehicles at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after the manufacturer has sold 200,000 eligible plug-in electric vehicles (i.e., plug-in hybrids and EVs) in the United States as counted from January 1, 2010.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm not sure that is true - a significant portion of those cars will be sold overseas - which means there will be no federal $7500 rebate for them. I would hope that the 200k limit is for cars eligible for the fed rebate (ie sold in the US), not 200k electric cars produced.
Good point. I forgot that the estimate is around 30,000 of the first year's productions are for Europe/UK. That means US 2022 Mach E sales will probably just squeak under. If we see a 2022 F-150 BEV and Transit BEV, folks will be grabbing up the remaining credits fast!

·
Registered
93 Posts
nteresting calculation they’ve done on Ford’s EV sales. Edmunds figures Ford only has ~50,000 cars to sell before the Federal EV tax incentive drops.
That’s means if you want the $7500, you’d better get a first year Mach E.
Nope,
"The credit begins to phase out for vehicles at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after the manufacturer has sold
200,000 eligible plug-in electric vehicles (i.e., plug-in hybrids and EVs) in the United States as counted from January 1, 2010.
IRS will announce when a manufacturer exceeds this production figure and will announce the subsequent phase out schedule "

Tesla figured out this phase out "quirk" and stockpiled a lot of deliveries for that second calendar quarter after hitting the 200,00 phase out number.

A company with the manufacturing capability of Ford should easily be able to stockpile for delivery in that still full credit second calendar close to another 100,000 deliveries.
And Ford will still have the 3rd quarter at 50% credit and the 4th quarter at 25% credit.
This will be well over another "Billion" $'s in Fed Income Tax Credits After hitting the 200,000 magic number.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda RX-8
87 Posts
Interesting calculation they’ve done on Ford’s EV sales. Edmunds figures Ford only has ~50,000 cars to sell before the Federal EV tax incentive drops. That’s means if you want the $7500, you’d better get a first year Mach E.
I thought I saw Ford still had about 80,000 cars to sell before hitting the 200,000 limit. This IRS site seems to show 121,000 sales for Ford at the end of 2019.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I thought I saw Ford still had about 80,000 cars to sell before hitting the 200,000 limit. This IRS site seems to show 121,000 sales for Ford at the end of 2019.
Yep, and with only 20,000 of the first year production going to North America sales --- it will be well into 2022 before hitting the 200,000 US limit.
Hopefully, by then Ford will be fully geared up to produce some huge numbers of both the Mach-E and the F-150 EV that will still
qualify for the $7,500 Fed Tax Credit as it sunsets.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Another interesting discussion is the reviewers' disappointment in the Model Y's limited rear window visibility. This comes at about 16:30.

·
Super Moderator
1,166 Posts
There is also another major design flaw with the rear hatch of the Tesla model Y. The bottom of the hatch is really low, and it protrudes further out than the bumper.
So, If you bump another vehicle backing into a spot (or they you) even at low speeds, the rear hatch WILL be damaged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts