Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is a vague question, but can anyone give a rough estimate how much your electric bill will go up when owning an electric vehicle? I understand it depends on how far you drive and what you pay for electricity, but is there like an average?

·
Registered
41 Posts
With most current EV, you normally get 4 miles per KWh. Freezing temp, could be at 2 miles per KWh. Bigger or less efficient EV may be down to 2 or 3 miles per KWh. I use about 200KWh a month on my Bolt EV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I looked at my usage summary and I used 466KWh on average. Would it be safe to say that would double with a SUV EV? I should budget for my bill to double? Thing of it is I average about 5 miles a day and about 100 miles a week with weekends.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mach E looks like a 3 mile per KWh normal and I would guess 2 miles per KWh in freezing temp.
Your 100 mile a week is 35-50 KWh, so maybe 150-200 Kwh a month. Double would be because you love the EV so much, you drive it much more. :)

You have to study your local rate. There is generally flat rate, time of use, EV rate, etc. You would probably want to charge during EV rate times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I looked at my usage summary and I used 466KWh on average. Would it be safe to say that would double with a SUV EV? I should budget for my bill to double? Thing of it is I average about 5 miles a day and about 100 miles a week with weekends.
No, it will be a lot less than that --- 100 miles per week is only about 433 miles per month.
Even with a lot of high speed freeway driving and / or cold weather driving you should average year round
at least 3 miles per KWH used or about a 25% to 30% increase in your monthly 466 KWH used billing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ford's own PR photos are showing 3.6 miles per key. Some of us are going to get well above 4 miles per kWh as I do in my Ford CMax Energi
But those with the GT version may settle down closer to 3.0.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No, it will be a lot less than that --- 100 miles per week is only about 433 miles per month.
Even with a lot of high speed freeway driving and / or cold weather driving you should average year round
at least 3 miles per KWH used or about a 25% to 30% increase in your monthly 466 KWH used billing.
Correct. But Mp71323 don't forget you're not buying gas for those 100 miles. So if you lived where I do, gas is around 2.15/gal and electricity is 0.13 per kWh. So you'd pay about $7.17 for gas and $4.13 for extra electricity. And these are conservative numbers, ie, the difference is probably larger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This should probably be for another thread, but it looks like insurance will be the only other thing I need to worry about. Does anyone have ideas what insurance will be with these? All the safety features you would think would keep insurance low, however, all the technology will probably make it high. Will having the name Mustang attached to it cause the rates to be higher?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hard to say about insurance. Some companies are "afraid" of EVs and charge a high premium. Others are more reasonable. When the time comes, shop around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have owned a 2018 Chevy Bolt and now a 2019 Leaf Plus. Those cars got 4.5 and 3.4 m/kW-hr respectively. My wife is principle driver and she does around 200 miles per week on average. Our electric bill went up about $8 a month but our electric even in peak ours is only 9 cents a kW-hr. Gas here is $2.37/gallon at present so we save a good deal. As for insurance, expect it to go up about 10 percent higher than a comparable gas fueled car of same price range....that is what we have discovered. Insurance companies are steal very leery of electrics due to unknown repair costs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2016 Camry Hybrid LE insured with Geico. When I was shopping for EVs I got a few quotes from them. For a Tesla model 3, my insurance was going to double. For a Nissan Leaf or Kia Niro, my insurance quote was actually. Granted, my Camry has special safety features except a backup camera. So that may be why the insurance would go down for the Leaf and Niro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The electric bill is not really an issue .I pay 10 cents per/kwh so charging the big pack from empty would be less than 10$. Also remember you never go to the gas station EVER. My focus electric get the equivalent of 110 mpge. The mustang will be less I'm guessing 90mpge. so compare that to about 25mpg for an equivalent size SUV with less performance and that's not counting a huge savings for maintenance. Overall operation costs should be about 1/4th. My Porsche Macan cost 20 cents/mi to operate. The Mustang should be 5 cents/mile or a little less. Also look into bulk rate electricity from your power company. I had unlimited charging at 60 local station for 5$/month.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This should probably be for another thread, but it looks like insurance will be the only other thing I need to worry about. Does anyone have ideas what insurance will be with these? All the safety features you would think would keep insurance low, however, all the technology will probably make it high. Will having the name Mustang attached to it cause the rates to be higher?
in response to your question. I am an insurance agent in California with Farmers. Today the only true electric car that I deal with my clients is Tesla. I will say geography makes a HUGE difference. A Tesla in Bakersfiekd is far cheaper then the same one in LA. A Tesla 3 RWD only their cheapest model about $42,000 is about $600 for 6 months. A Tesla 3 AWD say $60,000 is $900. Now you have to understand the WHY

1. Tesla’s can ONLY be fixed by Tesla body shops because Tesla REFUSES to sell parts to normal body shops. As such it can take as long as 3 months to fix it. Many times they are totaled out because the cost of fixing due to lack of parts can cost mire then the market value.
2. This is THE why I never bought a Tesla. Musk wants to control ALL aspects of the car except financing.
3. Ford will be cheaper simply due to the availability of parts and competition to repair the cars.
4. I forgot. Tesla is an all aluminum frame I think all one piece so a single tweak and the car is totaled because the cost of an entire frame is insane. It cannot be fixed like normal cars can. Special expensive machines have to be used to look for hairline cracks which would destroy the safety ability of the car.

In short I would not sweat the insurance. Just because it is electric is irrelevant. A fusion energy is not significantly more then a gas energy. Maybe a little because it has both gas and electric but not enough to lose sleep over.
If anyone gets a VIN number I can tell you with an exact comparison

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got a recent quote from USAA on a Tesla Model 3. The price seemed inline. I didn’t notice anything that seemed high or low. I think with Ford, things will be a bit more straightforward.

·
Registered
18 Posts
in response to your question. I am an insurance agent in California with Farmers. Today the only true electric car that I deal with my clients is Tesla. I will say geography makes a HUGE difference. A Tesla in Bakersfiekd is far cheaper then the same one in LA. A Tesla 3 RWD only their cheapest model about $42,000 is about $600 for 6 months. A Tesla 3 AWD say $60,000 is $900. Now you have to understand the WHY

1. Tesla’s can ONLY be fixed by Tesla body shops because Tesla REFUSES to sell parts to normal body shops. As such it can take as long as 3 months to fix it. Many times they are totaled out because the cost of fixing due to lack of parts can cost mire then the market value.
2. This is THE why I never bought a Tesla. Musk wants to control ALL aspects of the car except financing.
3. Ford will be cheaper simply due to the availability of parts and competition to repair the cars.
4. I forgot. Tesla is an all aluminum frame I think all one piece so a single tweak and the car is totaled because the cost of an entire frame is insane. It cannot be fixed like normal cars can. Special expensive machines have to be used to look for hairline cracks which would destroy the safety ability of the car.

In short I would not sweat the insurance. Just because it is electric is irrelevant. A fusion energy is not significantly more then a gas energy. Maybe a little because it has both gas and electric but not enough to lose sleep over.
If anyone gets a VIN number I can tell you with an exact comparison
For comparison my Focus electric insurance costs are similar to the gas version

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got a recent quote from USAA on a Tesla Model 3. The price seemed inline. I didn’t notice anything that seemed high or low. I think with Ford, things will be a bit more straightforward.
My only thought on the insurance is that this is a new car and as such there is zero history. In short insurance companies are going to have to guess at what the repair costs are. Many people think that insurance rates are based on the car. Yes to some extent but there are a lot of other factors that include repair costs, theft chances, and geography of where the car is and as well as demographic. For example a Focus ST which is around $25-30,000 I think could potentially cost the same or more then say a Focus RS. Why??? because the average buyer of an ST is in their mid twenties because it is cheaper car to purchase where as the RS was a $45,000 car and there fore most people buying it were in their mid 30-40 years old and a more mature driver. As for the Mach E GT that is a different issue. Insurance rates ae also tied to high performance rates (sport cars rates in laymans terms). Performance rates are based on the ratio of HP to weight. this is THE why a Toyota Tundra is considered high performance and costs more to insure then a Ford Raptor. The Toyota is lightweight with an 8 CYL engine. The Raptor is heavier with a 6.2 liter engine. Crazy concept but a Raptor which is now in excess of say $75,000 is not much more then say a $60,000 F-150.00. Sorry for the novel I am just trying to explain how car insurance costs work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sounds like the expectation is for somewhere in the 3.0-3.5 mile per kWh range for the Mach-e. My home electric rate is $0.1015/kWh. Even at the more conservative 3.0 miles/kWh estimate, that's 3.4 cents/mile.

Compare that to my 2013 Escape that averages 25 MPG. With gas at $2.50/gal, that's 10 cents/mile. So compared to a vehicle like that, the Mach-e costs 1/3rd as much for fuel (if fueled at home). Over 12,000 miles/yr, that's $1200 in gas vs $400 in electricity. An $800/yr savings. ($8000 over a decade, which is something to consider when factoring in lifetime purchase/ownership cost.)

That's assuming one charges at home though. That savings seems to disappear if charging at an Electrify America station. I'm a little confused at their pricing levels and how they would fit for the Mach-e. They show 3 different rates (1-75 kw, 1-125 kw, and 1-350 kw). The Mach-e will charge at up to 150 kw. So does that mean we pay the 125 rate or the 350 rate? When I calculate the rate for 125 kw, it appears to work out to almost triple my home rate. In other words, nearly the same as gasoline. (If I did the calculation right.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
At the start of charging, if you draw 150KW, you are charged the 350KW rate. I wish there was a setting where you can tell the car you only want 125KW. I think Tesla allows something like that, but only for L2 charging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You will only be charged for what you use....ie if you only use a 50kw fast charger ( as the vast majority of them are) expect to be billed 30 cents a minute. That is why I only charge at public chargers to 80%. Your car charges at maximum rate up to about 80% then it drops off to about one third of that for the last 20%. At a 50kw charger I would pay 30 cents a minute regardless. Thus I get a lot more for my money in that first 80%. Hope I explained that right.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts