Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
MME, Infinite Blue, Premium, RWD, ER.
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After speaking to yet another competent EA employee I learned a few things:

1. If the car get a “charging error” - unplug the cable from the car and reinsert it within 90 seconds will skip the connection to Ford Pass and let you pay locally either with a card or your EA account. (edit: let the EA charger-screen reset before you re-plug)

2. If you (as I) constantly get charging errors when connecting your car, you can start a charge from the EA app BEFORE plugging in the car. This way it should work right away when you plug it into the car. (Edit: I haven’t personally been able to do this)

3. If you added your EA account to your wallet on an iPhone before they recently overhauled their app, you need to remove the card from your wallet and add it again.

I apologize if this has been mentioned other places, but there’s a lot of treads about EA and I obviously haven’t paid attention, or I would have know if this had bee mentioned before.

·
Registered
290 Posts
After speaking to yet another competent EA employee I learned a few things:

1. If the car get a “charging error” - unplug the cable from the car and reinsert it within 90 seconds will skip the connection to Ford Pass and let you pay locally either with a card or your EA account.

2. If you (as I) constantly get charging errors when connecting your car, you can start a charge from the EA app BEFORE plugging in the car. This way it should work right away when you plug it into the car.

3. If you added your EA account to your wallet on an iPhone before they recently overhauled their app, you need to remove the card from your wallet and add it again.

I apologize if this has been mentioned other places, but there’s a lot of treads about EA and I obviously haven’t paid attention, or I would have know if this had bee mentioned before.
great to get some tips. I'm curious are these issues with EA only or other charging networks as well

Reactions: Puller

·
Registered
2018 BMW i3 Base, 2021 Mach-E4x - Infinite Blue (ordered)
20 Posts
Over a week ago, I installed the EA app on my Android phone. But it says "sorry your account could not be created". I've reinstalled the app three times now, but still no dice. On the positive side, the EA customer support is excellent, and they opened a trouble ticket and have called me once for additional information. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out eventually, but it's pretty bad that there is only one way to create an account, and it doesn't work in my case. Of course, I can still charge and pay with Google Pay or a credit card.

Reactions: Puller

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over a week ago, I installed the EA app on my Android phone. But it says "sorry your account could not be created". I've reinstalled the app three times now, but still no dice. On the positive side, the EA customer support is excellent, and they opened a trouble ticket and have called me once for additional information. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out eventually, but it's pretty bad that there is only one way to create an account, and it doesn't work in my case. Of course, I can still charge and pay with Google Pay or a credit card.
Sorry to hear that. But yes, absolutely amazing customer service.

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
173 Posts
Yeah I can validate point 2. I was able to charge by swiping to start charging in the app and then plugging in. Worked perfectly. Make sure you tap stop in the app or the EA screen before trying to unlock and unplug.

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
173 Posts
Oh yeah it might not be obvious or I might just be an idiot, but also there is a little black tab at the top of the charger connector. It is a button you have to push to unlatch the cable from the car. It isn't immediately obvious you can push it. But if you push hard enough on it, it will unlatch. For anyone else it might confuse, like it initially did me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Also for anyone new to electric cars, don't be surprised to hear different types of hums or sloshing sounds from coolant trying to cool the batteries. These noises initially worried me, but they are a normal part of the cooling and charging process. You usually won't hear much else than a hum when doing level 2 charging. But you will definitely hear stranger noises when level 3 DC fast charging.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
1,946 Posts
1. If the car get a “charging error” - unplug the cable from the car and reinsert it within 90 seconds will skip the connection to Ford Pass and let you pay locally either with a card or your EA account. (edit: let the EA charger-screen reset before you re-plug)
When I was on the line with a very helpful Rep from EA she told me to do exactly what you have posted. She also asked me if my vehicle door was open and to close it until the charging started (I have no idea why).
Oh yeah it might not be obvious or I might just be an idiot, but also there is a little black tab at the top of the charger connector. It is a button you have to push to unlatch the cable from the car. It isn't immediately obvious you can push it. But if you push hard enough on it, it will unlatch. For anyone else it might confuse, like it initially did me.
Before I called EA and was in the throws of a 'panic attack' at not being able to unplug a locked cord, I too had never noticed the 'little button' next to the charge port, you know the one with the unlock icon on the face, (DUHo_O) the Rep told me to push and hold the button while removing the cord. When the Rep was able to get me connected to EA but not to my Ford Pass acct. I offered to use my Debit card but she said no that I was entitled to the "free" kWh offered by Ford and made several more tries at getting me connected to the acct. When she was unable to accomplish it she gave me a free 20% to 80% charge on EA for my "patience" (her words). She also transferred the call to a Ford Rep so that I could report the issue since I had to make an additional stops during my trip. The subsequent stops in each direction were flawless.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Also for anyone new to electric cars, don't be surprised to hear different types of hums or sloshing sounds from coolant trying to cool the batteries. These noises initially worried me, but they are a normal part of the cooling and charging process. You usually won't hear much else than a hum when doing level 2 charging. But you will definitely hear stranger noises when level 3 DC fast charging.
I don't mind the charging noises as long as Ford doesn't opt to add 'Farting' sounds, Ice Cream Truck bells or the song 'La Cucaracha' to the repertoire.:oops:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, EA are very helpful. I just spent 20min with a very sweet representative while trying 5 different chargers at the station in Ooltewah, TN - got a free charge as thanks for my patience.
looking forward to seeing my hotel bed after this charge. Have been driving since 5:30am it’s now 11:30pm with 6 charging stops. Time to sleep.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Yes, EA are very helpful. I just spent 20min with a very sweet representative while trying 5 different chargers at the station in Ooltewah, TN - got a free charge as thanks for my patience.
looking forward to seeing my hotel bed after this charge. Have been driving since 5:30am it’s now 11:30pm with 6 charging stops. Time to sleep.
Stay Safe!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Kind of odd that you have to plug in, and unplug and then plug in again to get it to behave the way it should the first time you plug it in. Shouldn't require plug/unplug cycling to get it to work. Definitely not intuitive. Ford needs to fix that.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Kind of odd that you have to plug in, and unplug and then plug in again to get it to behave the way it should the first time you plug it in. Shouldn't require plug/unplug cycling to get it to work. Definitely not intuitive. Ford needs to fix that.
Based on my recent experiences at EA stations it appears to be an EA issue. The Rep worked on her end to get it to pair. On one other occasion the connection was very slow to pair so I changed to a different charging unit and it worked well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The plug - fault - re-plug is only if there’s a fault once you plug in.

Your VIN is communicated to Ea once you plug in and if you have a Fordpass change account it’s supposed to take you there right away.

Plug:unplug is a way to bypass the “Ford connection” and bring you straight to EA’s start screen that you would have seen if you didn’t have a FordPass charge account.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Based on my recent experiences at EA stations it appears to be an EA issue.
It's a "both" issue as it depends on car and charger talking and being in synch.

Each of the charging systems has quirks you have to learn. ChargePoint works best with their small fob vs. the CP phone app. EA works best via the phone app.

It looks like Ford and EA need to workout the initial handshake. If you do EA manually on the app BEFORE plugging in, it gets around the failing Ford/EA handshake which Ford and EA will address.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's a "both" issue as it depends on car and charger talking and being in synch.

Each of the charging systems has quirks you have to learn. ChargePoint works best with their small fob vs. the CP phone app. EA works best via the phone app.

It looks like Ford and EA need to workout the initial handshake. If you do EA manually on the app BEFORE plugging in, it gets around the failing Ford/EA handshake which Ford and EA will address.
When I use ChargePoint if I use the apple wallet it works flawlessay.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts

I have ChargePoint on my phone which I used for the PHEV but not on the MMe. Is the Fob an order item on the App?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is the Fob an order item on the App?
I think you can order on the App or the web site. The CP tech team sent me one for free because they can't get a signal to my charger to make the phone app work and that was cheapest fastest solution and it works for me. Small 1x1 thin plastic card, easy on key chain or wallet or just leave in the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts