Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some good news about the growth of EV charging in the US. Electrify America announced that they are partnering with Bank of America to install EV chargers 40 EV charging stations with a total of 140 EV chargers.

The charging stations will be at select Bank of America financial center locations in California, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Oregon, Washington, Virginia, and Massachusetts. The chargers will be able to 150 kilowatt (kW) to 350kW charging.

Here's the full announcement from Electrify America:

Electrify America to Install EV Charging Stations at Bank of America Financial Center Locations

Installations mark Electrify America’s first collaboration with a financial institution

Reston, VA (December 17, 2019) – Electrify America, a leader in ultra-fast charging for electric vehicles (EV), announced today that it is teaming up with Bank of America, one of the world’s leading financial institutions, to install electric vehicle charging stations at select financial center locations across the U.S. This marks the first time Electrify America will install EV charging stations at a bank location, further adding convenient options for consumers who drive battery electric vehicles.

“As we continue to offer more convenient places to build new charging stations, Bank of America was a natural fit,” said Brendan Jones, chief operating officer at Electrify America. “As one of the largest banks in the country, its locations enable current and future EV drivers to save time by charging their vehicles while visiting a financial center. These new charging sites are also open to any EV driver needing a convenient place to charge their vehicle.”

Approximately 40 EV charging stations with a total of 140 EV chargers will be available for use by the end of 2020 at select Bank of America financial center locations in California, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Oregon, Washington, Virginia, and Massachusetts.

Through Electrify America’s focus on future and present-day electric vehicles, Bank of America customers will be able to access ultra-fast charging systems with the latest charging technology available with a range in power from 150 kilowatt (kW) to 350kW. With an electric vehicle capable of accepting a 350kW charge, EV drivers can add up to 20 miles of range per minute as a result of Electrify America’s ultra-fast chargers technology.

“We are focused on making it easier and more convenient for our clients to connect with us in any manner they choose, and we’re pleased to partner with Electrify America to offer on-site EV charging stations,” said David Tyrie, head of advanced solutions and digital banking at Bank of America. “A low-carbon lifestyle is important to our bank and to the communities we serve, and we are committed to developing and supporting initiatives that can lead to a more sustainable future.”

In addition to this initiative to bring low-carbon EV chargers to its financial center locations, Bank of America is an EV100 member and has also installed EV charging stations at employee offices. Currently the company has more than 100 EV charging ports installed at office locations for employee use with more installations planned in 2020. Bank of America also provides a reimbursement to employees who choose to purchase or lease an approved electric vehicle.

To locate a charging station and its associated power levels, electric vehicle drivers should check the Electrify America mobile app or the website at https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tis is awesome...but I have a question that I cannot wrap my head around. Obviously this pertains to long distance driving. Electrify America states that the cost of charging on a long trip is $0.70 cents per minute. I tried figuring out for the sake of argument what the cost would be to go from complete empty to full for AWD which is 270 miles. If you go by the minute assuming in the literature it states 47 miles in 10 minutes it costs a boat load to fill up the car compared to gas which means I am obviously doing something wrong. Can someone obviously more intelligent then me figure this out please??? Thank you

·
Registered
41 Posts
Charging outside, you are paying for the DC charger (much more expensive), power rate, plus profit. Here's EA's typical rates. It's not a flat 70 cents per minute.

POWER CHARGING
1 - 350 kW $0.99 / min. could be about 5 KWh/40 miles per minute/~20 cents per KWh
1 - 125 kW $0.69 / min. could be about 2 KWh/8 miles per minute/~35 cents per KWh
1 - 75 kW $0.25 / min. could be about 1 KWh/4 miles per minute/~25 cents per KWh

Looks like the 47 minutes in 10 min is with <75KW charging.

At home, you provide the EVSE and pay per KWh to the power company, at unknown cost per KWh charging because you don't know how long your EVSE will last. US avg rate is 13 cents a KWh... I am on TOU with EV rates and pay 4-6 cents per KWh, depending if Summer rate or rest of the year rate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you for the explanation but this is where my math skills suck. Can you estimate say you are on a long trip and your Mach e gets 270 to a full charge what it would cost with EV America. When I do the math the cost is higher then gas which is obviously wrong. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts

With peak charging rate of 150 kW, the Mustang Mach-E with an extended battery and rear-wheel drive can add an estimated average of 47 miles of range in approximately 10 minutes while charging on a DC fast charging station. The standard-range Mustang Mach-E is estimated to charge from 10 percent to 80 percent in approximately 38 minutes while charging on a DC fast charging station.

Range is 270 miles, so 80% would be 216 miles.

So from 10 to 80%, taking 38 min on 99 cents a min = $37.62
That's good for 216 miles, so about 17.4 cents a mile.
My 2017 RAV4 Hybrid achieved 36 MPG on a 2K mile trip this past summer, so it was like 8 cents a mile.
A gasoline RAV4 would be about 25 MPG, so 12 cents a mile.

Yes, a bit more expensive, but are you driving cross country every day?

BTW, you can consider for a long day of driving charging at the EA station mid day then drive another 200 miles to rest at a hotel with free charging... that would then cut your charging cost in half. You gotta rest, right?

·
Registered
86 Posts

With peak charging rate of 150 kW, the Mustang Mach-E with an extended battery and rear-wheel drive can add an estimated average of 47 miles of range in approximately 10 minutes while charging on a DC fast charging station. The standard-range Mustang Mach-E is estimated to charge from 10 percent to 80 percent in approximately 38 minutes while charging on a DC fast charging station.

My 2017 RAV4 Hybrid achieved 36 MPG on a 2K mile trip this past summer, so it was like 8 cents a mile.

[/QUOT

·
Registered
86 Posts

Thank you. Ok. That makes sense. So when planning a trip one should budget similar for electricity like gas unles you say find a hotel that will let you plug in for free overnight

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep, and the savings really come from charging at home for commuting. You will probably not money on the family summer trip.

Now, if you're adventurous and can sleep in the car (with A/C) while the car charge over night on Level 2 (6-7 KW rate so takes maybe 10 hours), you get a good night's rest plus save on lodging. Just make sure you get some great window shades.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yep, and the savings really come from charging at home for commuting. You will probably not money on the family summer trip.

Now, if you're adventurous and can sleep in the car (with A/C) while the car charge over night on Level 2 (6-7 KW rate so takes maybe 10 hours), you get a good night's rest plus save on lodging. Just make sure you get some great window shades.
OMG I live it!!!!! I recently saw a MB plugged into a 110 charger outside a Marriott. They ran an orange cord from their room to their car parked 2 floors below.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

We might have stumbled on a new EV trend haha.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am surprised that gas stations like Chevron/Standard are not putting in EV stations. It would draw the same customers who may switch form one to the other.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am surprised that gas stations like Chevron/Standard are not putting in EV stations. It would draw the same customers who may switch form one to the other.
Charging stations really should be at places of business (e.g. convenience store, restaurant, grocery store, department store, hospital/clinic, etc). Due to the slower rate of charging, you really want to offer something else aside from the gas station fast food joint.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Charging stations really should be at places of business (e.g. convenience store, restaurant, grocery store, department store, hospital/clinic, etc). Due to the slower rate of charging, you really want to offer something else aside from the gas station fast food joint.
I think you'll start seeing more sit down restaurants like Chili's, Applebee's, etc start offer charging. You're probably going to be there 45 minutes to an hour anyway, so it's a good opportunity to charge. If you can count on certain chains having charging available, EV drivers will target those businesses while traveling. The real challenge is if their infrastructure can handle the extra power. Ten 150 kW chargers is roughly equal to the power draw of a decent sized hospital. A 1.5 MW natural gas genset isn't cheap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think you'll start seeing more sit down restaurants like Chili's, Applebee's, etc start offer charging. You're probably going to be there 45 minutes to an hour anyway, so it's a good opportunity to charge. If you can count on certain chains having charging available, EV drivers will target those businesses while traveling. The real challenge is if their infrastructure can handle the extra power. Ten 150 kW chargers is roughly equal to the power draw of a decent sized hospital. A 1.5 MW natural gas genset isn't cheap.
I didn't see any mention on the power output of the BofA charging sites, but I think these will be 50kW urban chargers as opposed to 150kW rapid chargers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For commercial business, even 25KW would be great... 20 min stop and get 6-8KW. Great for in-town use.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Keeping in mind though that locals rarely need to charge at public chargers, as long as they have the ability to charge at home. It's the people driving long range that need public chargers. Thus it makes sense for most of those to be right along highways. At restaurants next to the highway is even better, but the bigger factor IMO is the highway proximity. That's where I think EA has a good location plan, by placing most of them along interstates.

The other place where chargers (mostly Level 2) are need is apartment buildings (for people that don't have a house and garage to charge overnight). But otherwise, I think it's a mistake to try and put a bunch of fast chargers all over the cities. That might have been necessary with an old 70 mile range Leaf, but not with a 200+ mile newer BEV. Locals will just charge at home each night, not at public chargers in their home city. It's travelers that need public fast chargers, along long distance routes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts