Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking up some of the local Ford dealers in my area and I noticed some of them are certified for EVs.

I wasn't sure what that meant so I did some research and here's what I've found so far. To become EV certified, Ford dealers must:
  • Have at least two on-site charging stations (one in the service area and the other located in the customer area)
  • Go through specialized training from Ford in EVs (mechanics and staff)
But that's pretty vague, does anyone know specifically what kind of training a dealership has to do to become certified?

Also if you're interested in finding out if a dealer is certified you can do a filtered search for EV dealers here: https://www.ford.com/dealerships/

·
Registered
691 Posts
this is what I found out earlier this year:
  • To service the SUV, Ford dealers are installing charging stations, buying new tools and assigning technicians to specialized training. Ford says the Mach-E's redesigned battery will make that service easier, safer and faster.
  • Shawn Barry, general manager of Red McCombs Ford in San Antonio, says his dealership is undergoing "the full certification program" for Mach-E service. That includes sending his eight EV-certified techs to a Ford center for training specific to the Mach-E; they also are receiving online instruction. They are trained to work on the Ford Focus BEV, Ford's only other battery-electric vehicle.
  • Barry says he will have to buy special tools for Mach-E service. Ford will define those requirements next spring, he adds, and the Mach-E is scheduled to arrive at dealerships in late 2020.
  • More than 2,100 dealers have signed up to be certified for the Mach-E and subsequent EVs, says George Goddu, the lead for aftersales strategy on Team Edison, Ford's division of EV planning. That's up from the 900 dealers who had been previously certified to service EVs.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda RX-8
87 Posts
Several dealerships around me are showing EV certified and certified for EV repair. Somewhat surprising actually. Seems earlier than I would have thought.

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
The dealer I reserved my MMe at is EV Certified, but not yet for EV repairs. I hope they are working on that. I would hate to have to travel 15 miles instead of 3 should I need a repair.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer I reserved my MMe at is EV Certified, but not yet for EV repairs. I hope they are working on that. I would hate to have to travel 15 miles instead of 3 should I need a repair.
I would hope so too, that would be odd if they're able to sell EVs but not be able to fix them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not seeing where it shows they are EV certified on the website. It looks to me it is just dealers in the area.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Looks like all the dealers within a 50 mile radius around me is EV certified.
In my case, it seems that while seemingly every dealer in my area is EV certified, some are NOT EV REPAIR certified - including the dealer I plan to buy from. I might change just for that reason; I'm not sure I want to take it somewhere other than where I bought it for warranty work. That feels a little cheesy, and I'm not sure I'll get the same level of service/consideration.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda RX-8
87 Posts
In my case, it seems that while seemingly every dealer in my area is EV certified, some are NOT EV REPAIR certified - including the dealer I plan to buy from. I might change just for that reason; I'm not sure I want to take it somewhere other than where I bought it for warranty work. That feels a little cheesy, and I'm not sure I'll get the same level of service/consideration.
If you are inclined, you may want to verify with the dealership. Strange that they wouldn't have both certifications. Could be a website issue or their training hasn't officially completed.

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
For EV repair certification, a dealer needs trained technicians and special equipment to safely remove and discharge batteries. I assume that training is way more intense than a salespersons, and retrofitting service bays takes longer than installing charging equipment. I hope all EV dealer candidates are pursuing both certifications.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I guess I totally read this differently. In all the press, Ford has said that dealers need to be EV certified. They never have mentioned EV Repair. My thinking was that EV repair was related to the earlier electric vehicles based on the description:
Ford dealers and their teams have been trained and certified to sell and service your Plug-in Electric Vehicle. C-MAX Energi Plug-In Hybrid, Fusion Energi Plug-In Hybrid, and Focus Electric are available nationwide through our Certified EV Dealership Network.
I assume that they now have a new term and certification system for their next-gen EVs.

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
...I assume that they now have a new term and certification system for their next-gen EVs.
My post was based on my recollection of an interview a few months back. But your explanation makes sense, too.
No one is at the dealership to ask right now, everything is done via e-mail. We’ll see if i can get a straight answer without them trying to sell me something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts