Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Premium AWD with extended range is being built next week (hopefully...) and I need to get set up to charge my car at home. I will be charging outdoors in the Philadelphia area. My questions:
1. What is the value in purchasing a third-party charger vs. simply using the charger included with the car connected to a 240V outlet?
2. If I purchase a charger, what would you recommend given weather and charging needs (travel about 30 miles per day on average)?
3. Is there value to purchasing a WiFi enabled charger or does the charger app included with the Mach E do the same thing?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
Current; 17' Escape SE AWD (Soon to be traded in!)
49 Posts
I personally went with a Grizzle-E EVSE to use at home since I did not want to rely on the provided charger in case it goes bad or I need it while travelling.
I researched several brands and settled on the Grizzl-e because of the adjustable charge rate (with dip switches) and the fact that it is totally waterproof in case it did need to be put outside.
Here's a great video by Tom Mologhney

Tony

·
Read Only
73 Posts
I have an extended Range MME also, I skipped installing the Level 2 charger at home (mainly due to renting). But have had no issues for last 6+ months while I have put 6k miles on the car. Once or twice a week I go over to the EA fast charger nearby and charge up to 80% and the slow 120 volt charger does the rest. I currently have no plans to install a level 2 charger at home, even if I buy a house as I am in a Metropolitan area. I was also able to pick up a spare charger from someone who had totaled his EV (BMW i3) for $150. Everyone's situation is different, but this is my two cents, I also drive about 30 miles a day (if I go to work) and more on weekend.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
3,225 Posts
My Premium AWD with extended range is being built next week (hopefully...) and I need to get set up to charge my car at home. I will be charging outdoors in the Philadelphia area. My questions:
1. What is the value in purchasing a third-party charger vs. simply using the charger included with the car connected to a 240V outlet?
2. If I purchase a charger, what would you recommend given weather and charging needs (travel about 30 miles per day on average)?
3. Is there value to purchasing a WiFi enabled charger or does the charger app included with the Mach E do the same thing?

1. Value is a bit subjective. I purchased a JuiceBox 40 because I didn't want to have to unpack and repack my Ford supplied cable. I use the Ford cable only when I travel to friends and family that have a 240v Nema 14-50 outlet. Whatever works since both will do the job
2. Any wall unit that is UL approved will suffice just be sure that your breaker will handle the load.
3. The JuiceBox is Wi-Fi however the Ford app will do the same as the JB app
Lastly the Feds rebated one third of the cost of the unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I consider the factory supplied EVSE as something to be left in the trunk for if needed. I would much rather have a dedicated wall mount EVSE from a reputable company. I currently have a Seimens unit for my wife's 2017 Volt on a 50 Amp circuit in the attached garage, but will probably move that to outdoors on the detached garage/shop, then upgrade the one in the house to a Grizzl-e Duo, as the Mach-e will share space with the Volt. The Seimens EVSE will then be available outdoors for guest use. Don't just consider the car when selecting EVSE and placement, but also your lifestyle and living situation. I know that can be a real issue for those of you renting or with not-so-private parking, and I have to salute some of the ingenious work-arounds I've seen on the web.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mach-E GT Performance
21 Posts
Honestly, if you are putting only 30/40 miles a day you can just use the factory charger plugged into a 110 outlet and top it off every night. That is what I'm using while waiting for my new garage to be built in the spring. It works just fine. Depending on where your electrical panel is located relative to the charger location, and your DIY abilities you are looking between $700 to $2500 to get a level 2 charger set up. Some folks will need it, for others its just overkill.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Simply put, one size does not fit all. If trying to decide, find someone with similar driving habits (on the Forum) and compare how well it has been working for them. As an example, during a visit to my daughter's I utilized the Ford 120V connector for the first time despite the fact that they have a NEMA 14-50 240V in the garage. I did this because the overnight temperatures were in the 20s and the MMe was parked in the driveway. Also, in as much as I was staying for 10 days, rather than plugging and unplugging their Tesla and the MMe into the 240V outlet the 120V allowed me to stay online for the entire visit. While it took almost a week to get the MMe to 100% in this instance it was a better solution.
All of the UL rated wall units are fine as well as the unit supplied by Ford so take your pick.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I Have the Grizzl-E smart Charger - was using the included car charger but on 110V was taking upto 18 hours to charge from 20%
now I can charge from 15% in 5-7 hours using the Grizzl-E, it has an app but they retired it, a new one is coming soon (so i am told) and if you get the smart version, and mount it externally, you can monetize it - list it as a public charger and set your own charging costs and schedule of availability (make a little side money) if you don't mind people using your driveway.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

Seven months in I use the mobile EVSE the car comes with exclusively, on a nema 14-50 plug 240v it charges at 20 mph. It more than meets my charging needs Describing your driving, you really don't need an aftermarket evse.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Seven months in I use the mobile EVSE the car comes with exclusively, on a nema 14-50 plug 240v it charges at 20 mph. It more than meets my charging needs Describing your driving, you really don't need an aftermarket evse.
I agree with you with one exception.

Using an aftermarket charger means you can leave the included charger inside your car for ad-hoc/unforeseen longer journeys where you may need the included cable to charge at a friend/family member's home

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I have installed a 60A breaker on the panel and have the 48 JuiceBox charger on the inside wall of the garage next to the panel on the outside wall. Total distance about 4 feet (1.1 metre) from panel to charger. The JB 48 is hardwired naturally. (a 60 amp breaker is required to draw 48 amps of charging power).
Have not yet taken delivery of the 2022 Mach e Premium AWD EBatt. but will do so in about 2 weeks. I have been looking at the Mach-E forum on charging the EB and understand that the 2022 model holds about 91 Kwh (slight increase over the 2021 EB)

I went with a Hard Wired 240 volt circuit.
Each person has to decide what best fits their situation. It can also depend on whether your electrical circuit box has room for expansion – mine did the electrician moved around some breakers to allow for the 60A circuit.
I opted for the flexibility of a 60 amp circuit with a 48 amp output hardwired Juice Box 48 charger. We will see if I can get the transmission rate for charging of 11kWh.
Any one with experience with this setup and the EB?

·
Registered
22 Star White Premium AWD ER
81 Posts
I thought I'd share my charger installation info. I purchased a charger from my electric utility. I'll be able to charge off-peak (9:30 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.) for 6 cents/kwh and on-peak for 30 cents. The electric company offers a $800 rebate for the unit - I believe actual cost to me will be around $300 after rebate. In addition, the garage had to be wired for 240. Materials for that cost around $500 and a 12 pack of beer for the help from my electrician neighbor. The charger is a Clipper Creek model HCS-50. It requires a 50 amp circuit breaker. The electric company wants me to use it / test it sooner than later (I'm the first person on their system to install a charger) but I don't have my MME yet so the dealer is letting me take their demo for the weekend - the dealer is also interested in knowing how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I've always gone with the OEM 240v chargers on our PHEV and our Tesla and had good experiences with them. Why shell out the $$ for another?
This question has been raised in several posts, and in my case it's the convenience of not having to pack and unpack the OEM EVSE for trips away from home. Also, due to a relatively small battery pack in my Fusion PHEV it came with a 120V OEM cord and the 240v cord was an option costing hundreds additional, so I bought a Juice Box 40 and using it for the MMe works out to an <1% of the cost of the MMe purchase, therefore I'm planning on an additional JB 40 for my second house in Utah. Given your field of practice, I'm reasonably certain that you would agree, with what I learned during the clinicals for my MA/MFCC in substance abuse counseling, what works for one individual isn't always the answer for everyone.

·
Registered
22 Star White Premium AWD ER
81 Posts
Each situation will be different depending on programs offered by the electric company, etc. I will get an income tax credit on the cost of the charger - including installation - after a significant rebate off the cost of the charger from the electric company. This all makes the up-front cost relatively cheap. My normal electricity cost is 11.5 cents/kWh. By using the charger from the electric utility and charging during off-peak hours, the cost is 6 cents/kWh. That amounts to a 48% savings in electricity cost which is a very nice incentive from the electric company. I expect I would rarely, if ever, need to charge during on-peak. Now, the next challenge is getting a car! 6 1/2 months since ordering and still no news on a build date.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts