Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2021 Tesla MY, 2017 Volt, Mach e Premium 11/5/22
191 Posts
This question has been raised in several posts, and in my case it's the convenience of not having to pack and unpack the OEM EVSE for trips away from home. Also, due to a relatively small battery pack in my Fusion PHEV it came with a 120V OEM cord and the 240v cord was an option costing hundreds additional, so I bought a Juice Box 40 and using it for the MMe works out to an <1% of the cost of the MMe purchase, therefore I'm planning on an additional JB 40 for my second house in Utah. Given your field of practice, I'm reasonably certain that you would agree, with what I learned during the clinicals for my MA/MFCC in substance abuse counseling, what works for one individual isn't always the answer for everyone.
Well said. And it's also the case that there is no single path to recovery from substance misuse but rather a number of effective alternatives.

· Registered
20 Posts
My Premium AWD with extended range is being built next week (hopefully...) and I need to get set up to charge my car at home. I will be charging outdoors in the Philadelphia area. My questions:
1. What is the value in purchasing a third-party charger vs. simply using the charger included with the car connected to a 240V outlet?
2. If I purchase a charger, what would you recommend given weather and charging needs (travel about 30 miles per day on average)?
3. Is there value to purchasing a WiFi enabled charger or does the charger app included with the Mach E do the same thing?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Advantage: A little faster charging. Which one: GrizzlE, Juice Box, Charge Point. Wi Fi not needed with the Mach E

· Registered
22 Star White Premium AWD ER
81 Posts
Check with your electric utility to see if they offer money saving programs for EV charging. If they do, it might be worth considering buying a charger from them. My electric cooperative offers reduced rates for off-peak EV charging. The off-peak rate is 6 cents/kWh vs. the normal rate of approx. 11.5 cents. In order to participate, I had to buy a charger from them, however, they also offered a rebate of $800 on the charger so the final cost to me for the charger was around $300.

· Read Only
73 Posts
Yes, checking with the local electric utility is the key and might be worth it. I checked with them and bought a charger they suggested and got a $250 rebate. They quickly put the credit on the bill, it was painless - had to fill out a form with Make Model and Serial No of the charger. Our utility does not have different peak or off peak rates so no change there. I got a Chargepoint home charger which was $700 and came within 2 weeks. Works perfect and shows charge rate of 28 miles per hour. I can get fully charged from 50% in about 4-5 hours.

· Registered
43 Posts
I have an extended Range MME also, I skipped installing the Level 2 charger at home (mainly due to renting). But have had no issues for last 6+ months while I have put 6k miles on the car. Once or twice a week I go over to the EA fast charger nearby and charge up to 80% and the slow 120 volt charger does the rest. I currently have no plans to install a level 2 charger at home, even if I buy a house as I am in a Metropolitan area. I was also able to pick up a spare charger from someone who had totaled his EV (BMW i3) for $150. Everyone's situation is different, but this is my two cents, I also drive about 30 miles a day (if I go to work) and more on weekend.
My Premium AWD with extended range is being built next week (hopefully...) and I need to get set up to charge my car at home. I will be charging outdoors in the Philadelphia area. My questions:
1. What is the value in purchasing a third-party charger vs. simply using the charger included with the car connected to a 240V outlet?
2. If I purchase a charger, what would you recommend given weather and charging needs (travel about 30 miles per day on average)?
3. Is there value to purchasing a WiFi enabled charger or does the charger app included with the Mach E do the same thing?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
My main recommendation is to get a 3rd party charger with a cap that goes over the plug. The factory charger does not. I just got a simple charger from Amazon that has worked well using the Ford app. Then you can use the pre-conditioning feature during the winter.

· Registered
14 Posts
I did end-up springing for the Wallbox Pulsar Plus

· Registered
64 Posts
I'm a little surprised there isn't a pinned/stickied post about top recommended EVSEs. I'm between the ChargePoint Flex and the Wallbox Pulsar Plus myself. Either one I will have hardwired to a 60A circuit to get the full 48A draw out of it. If it makes a difference, which of these two are more recommended for outdoor use? Was going to attach to a wall outside my garage.

· Registered
14 Posts
I can't speak to the ChargePoint unit but the Wallbox Pulsar Plus is NEMA 4 rated. It will withstand directed water with no ingress. I have mine mounted outside my garage as well.

· Registered
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
381 Posts
Having a relatively fast charger at your residence is the height of convenience. Given the charging problems some MMEs are currently having, a level 2 charger with some built-in software might help give some insight, if you ever do experience a charging issue, especially if the reporting on error codes is robust.

· Registered
512 Posts
A little common sense: If you buy a $50,000 (or so) EV, the expense of level 2 charging should be considered as part of the deal. If you are going to pay an electrician to install a GFCI protected 50-amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet, why not save $150 (no GFCI, no 14-50) by buying a hard wired EVSE unit for $400 and get tax credits for cost and installation? Your mobile charger can stay in the car.

· Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
3,225 Posts
A little common sense: If you buy a $50,000 (or so) EV, the expense of level 2 charging should be considered as part of the deal. If you are going to pay an electrician to install a GFCI protected 50-amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet, why not save $150 (no GFCI, no 14-50) by buying a hard wired EVSE unit for $400 and get tax credits for cost and installation? Your mobile charger can stay in the car.
In my situation I spend extended periods at my residences in Las Vegas and in Utah. In LV I have a JuiceBox40 on a 50A/NEMA 14-50 which qualified for the Fed 'rebate' on the unit and install. I had the builder put in a similar set-up in the Utah place and I recently purchased an additional JB40 wall bracket ($45) for the Utah residence and for the immediate future will bring the unit with me when I drive to whichever location that I am staying at. If I find that the local utility in Utah has incentives/rebates I will adjust my plans accordingly and buy a second unit (hard-wired?) if needed.

· Registered
22 Posts
I have a Grizzl-e too. It works great albeit w/o the wireless smart functions (which I don't need anyway). If you are going to use the charger that came with the car, get a premium NEMA 14-50 outlet. Using a cheap one is not a good idea (much about this in the internet). A premium receptacle can cost $80. It will have better quality intervals and hold up to heat cycles and repetitive plugging and unplugging better. Also better for the continuous duty cycle. Don’t use a cheap dryer outlet. Be sure to torque screws down to specs too - both on receptacle and the circuit breaker. You should use AWG 6 for wire for this connection from 14-50 receptacle to circuit breaker.

Another advantage - if possible in your situation, is being able to leave the charger plugged in on cold days/nights. Ford recently distributed a tip, that this will help you get better performance in the winter months by keeping the battery system warmer (preconditioning while plugged in) and ready for the next drive in cold weather.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts