Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm really not clear on what the charging options will be for the Mach-E. Will we have to get our own home fast charger? Does it come with the car? (optional extra?)

That said, for EV owners now, what home charger do you use now and do you like it?

I've read good things about the Bosch Level 2 EV Charger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From Ford's Mach E FAQ:

“Your vehicle is equipped with a Ford Mobile Charger that is estimated to add an average range of 22 miles per charging hour through a 240V outlet.⁶ The same Ford Mobile Charger is estimated to add an average range of three miles per charging hour on a 120V outlet and you can plug in just about anywhere.⁶"

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Level 2 is some brand I don't even remember that was thrown in with the purchase of my used Leaf. I mounted it on the wall and installed an outdoor "dryer" outlet for it. Honestly, it works great. I flip it on, plug in the car, charges every night. Unless you want connected or load sharing, etc. just about any of them will work. You don't need to spend a lot. I plan on using this same one with my Mach E and keeping the Ford charger in the trunk. I do the same thing with my Leaf and have used it's mobile charger once or twice on the road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Level 2 is clipper creek--I have a 50 amp nema 1450 outlet. I also use the wall outlet for my CMax Energi when the weather is warm. Never charge it to full as this is bad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
From Ford's Mach E FAQ:

“Your vehicle is equipped with a Ford Mobile Charger that is estimated to add an average range of 22 miles per charging hour through a 240V outlet.⁶ The same Ford Mobile Charger is estimated to add an average range of three miles per charging hour on a 120V outlet and you can plug in just about anywhere.⁶"
An outlet with 50amps NEMA 1450 and your charging cord rated to handle 40 maps continuous will net you about 29 miles per hour--not 22.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but clearview energy (green electricity supplier) has a program wherein you can get a $75 rebate on a chargepoint charger AND free weekend EV charging (I think up to 250 kwhr/month).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Chevy Bolt EV with the OEM EVSE. It is 110/220 capable, so I have two adapters (14-50P to 6-20, 6-20 to 5-20) to allow me to use NEMA 14-50R on the EVSE's NEMA 5-20P. It charges at 12A/~3KW... more than enough to replenish the day's drive in a few hours before I wake up. It is so convenient. No need to plan trips to the gas station or have an unexpected longer commute and worry if I have enough gas. :)

Look forward to more viable EV (~250 miles or longer range) out there for future purchase/recommendation to friends.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like a level 2 home charger is a good plan. I'll need a 240v outlet regardless so I might just get the charger installed now and future-proof the house for more EVs to come.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you get a NEMA 14-50R installed, then all you'll need to do is plug in the charger that is included with the vehicle. No need to buy an EVSE now, unless you want more than one.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Based on my research, I bought this 14-50 plug to install in my garage for charging:
Wow, that one is very heavy duty. I just got one from Lowe's and keep the EVSE plugged in.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, that one is very heavy duty. I just got one from Lowe's and keep the EVSE plugged in.
Yeah, I'm guessing something like this is sufficient ($9)...

Not sure if I'll try to buy my own parts or just let the eletrician I hire provide them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed a JuiceBox 40 Amp WiFi enabled EVSE on a 50 Amp circuit and a NEMA 14-50 Outlet. That is a max of 9.6kW for this unit.

My current Chevy Bolt can charge at up to 32 Amps or 7.7kW with level 2 charging.

The specs I have seen state the Mach-E can charge at up to 48 Amps or 11.5kW with level 2 charging.

But for my normal driving patterns, the Juicebox will be just fine. I see no real reason to change out this unit.

It has worked perfectly for me over the last 2 years.

Jim I

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
507 Posts
From the information on the Ford web site, the MachE will come with, at no extra charge, a 32 amp/3 amp charger.

The charger is a level 2: to charge at 32 amps will require a 240 volt with a 40 Amp breaker. The 3 amp you can plug into any 110 volt socket. This can be plugged in and is portable.

The Ford charger at 48 amps is an extra cost, price not yet published, and must be hard wired. The maximum you can use a socket is a 40 Amp charger.

Where I live on Long Island the electric company gives you a $500 rebate against the cost of installation of certain charges, The 40 Amp Juice Box, recently at Costco for $549 is included. To qualify you must submit a bill from a licensed electrician showing the installation. Right now the 32 amp charger from Ford is not on the list - but that might change!

I am thinking of doing this installation, as the extra cost above the 32 Amp Ford Charger will be $49 for the juice box and the cost of a 50 Amp instead of a 40 amp breaker. In both cases I will use #6 wire so labor and materials will be the same. So for under $100 I will go from a 32 amp to a 40 amp charger.

Hopefully this may change and the Ford 32 amp will be included.

If not, I can either leave the Ford charger in my trunk or sell it on Ebay!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
871 Posts
We had an electrician install a Clipper Creek for our Leaf. Reasonable price and great job. We did opt for the cheaper 32 amp option because our panel only had room for a 40 amp circuit. Upgrading the panel or adding a second box would have been much more costly. I may add an outlet next to the charger in case I want to plug in the included Ford mobile charger (couldn't run that and Clipper Creek at the same time, though). I doubt I'd buy and install the new Ford Charger as I don't think I could get the MD tax credit a second time -- I'll have to check that, though. If MD is pay for most of the cost, perhaps it would be worth it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
660 Posts
I currently use a standard 100v outlet for my Energi PHEV with the Ford supplied cord. However, I had an electrician install a 50Amp breaker with a 14-50 Box outlet which together with the Ford MME cord will suit my charging needs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Ford charger at 48 amps is an extra cost, price not yet published, and must be hard wired. The maximum you can use a socket is a 40 Amp charger.
Thanks for the update. If anyone learns the part number, please post and let me know. I would think that Ford would want to reach out to everyone waiting for a Mach-E and try to sell these home chargers and get everyone setup before the cars arrive. Ford reaching out and confirming that everyone has an adequate charging setup would sell parts and probably reduce the number of cancellations.

I currently have a Webasto branded unit that I bought at a local Chevy dealer, but I like the idea of selling it and having the Ford logo one in my garage...

I prefer having a wall-mounted level 2 so that I can keep a cable neatly packed away in the vehicle for emergencies. That's where the Ford-supplied cord will be. Constantly unrolling that and then packing it away is much less convenient than reaching for a wall-mounted cord, and I definitely want to always have an emergency cable with me just in case.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I prefer having a wall-mounted level 2 so that I can keep a cable neatly packed away in the vehicle for emergencies. That's where the Ford-supplied cord will be. Constantly unrolling that and then packing it away is much less convenient than reaching for a wall-mounted cord, and I definitely want to always have an emergency cable with me just in case.
Right, I'm waiting to see how much a replacement cord will be so I can keep one in the garage and the other in the car.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts