Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a mention about Exportable Power in today's live stream. Are we going to be able to hook up MME to power our home when needed ? Unfortunately I couldn't screen grab the presentation slide.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Apparently, it's not much of a thing yet... And for now, only the CHAdeMO standard includes a possibility of vehicle-to-grid power delivery. Mustang Mach-E doesn't support CHAdeMO protocol or connectors.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
865 Posts
Tesla is also considering this as well.

Personally, as we have a whole house gas powered automatic standby generator, (Generac 20KW) so this has little to no value to me.

Does anyone have any idea what an 88 kw battery will do in a house: I assume we are talking about the situation where you lose power from the grid, for example during a hurricane: how long will an 88 KW battery power your refrigerator, lights, heating, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 6.6 kW solar and it will be good if I can charge my car with the excess energy. And of course, I don't have to buy a generator if the car can power my house.

·
Registered
865 Posts
But my question was: how long and what will 88 KW from the MachE battery power in your house?

Are we talking about 1 day, 2 days a week or just hours?

In other words in the real world is this reversibility meaningful or is only enough power to keep a few lights on for several hours until power is restored?

·
Registered
148 Posts
There was a mention about Exportable Power in today's live stream. Are we going to be able to hook up MME to power our home when needed ? Unfortunately I couldn't screen grab the presentation slide.
All kinds of video on You Tube to power homes from an EV for emergencies. Here is a short one.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,117 Posts
But my question was: how long and what will 88 KW from the MachE battery power in your house?

Are we talking about 1 day, 2 days a week or just hours?

In other words in the real world is this reversibility meaningful or is only enough power to keep a few lights on for several hours until power is restored?
Here's the comparison:
I have a 6.6 kW solar and it will be good if I can charge my car with the excess energy. And of course, I don't have to buy a generator if the car can power my house.
88 kWH battery vs 6.6 kW solar array: The Mach E ER battery holds 13 1/3 hours of power from the solar array @jineshkj has on his house. So, it is probably about 1.5 days' power. If you are running the battery as an emergency backup, that probably means a few days on pared-down power use.

The real limiting factor is output from the battery. My system for house power off our Leaf connects to the 12v battery. It is limited to just over 1kW sustained output because that is the limit of the system that recharges the 12v off the drive battery. This system gives me 1 kW for under 30 hours on the Leaf (a day) and could under 88 hours on the Mach E (3+ days). The whole idea is in case our home is out of power, we can keep the freezer and fridge cold and run minimal systems until the power comes back on. It requires a daily trip to a DCFC to recharge the Leaf -- every 3 days with the Mach E. I haven't tested it for system losses but it should last a day on the Leaf. I'm not sure if the same approach is viable on the Mach E -- I hope so.

A fully reversible system through the charger would be limited to 9.6 kW (although I don't recall seeing the actual maximum specs on the Mach E onboard charger for 220v). 88 kWh/9.6 kW = 9.2 hours at full discharge.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
All kinds of video on You Tube to power homes from an EV for emergencies. Here is a short one.

That's cool but expensive. Alibaba has the 3kW system for $2,600-2,800 and the 6kW for $5,000. It's also limited to CHAdeMO.

A 1kW sine wave inverter to run off the 12v battery is about $100.

·
Registered
865 Posts

Prior to my whole house 20 KW standby generator, I had a gas powered Mistubishi 6 KW generator. It was able to power my refrigerators, freezers, a TV and about 12 lights and if I turned off the lights a range for cooking but of course no AC, dryer etc. So I would image I was using about 3/4 KW per hours.

With the MachE, 88 KW that would be a bit more than 1 day.

But to do that, would require:

• an inverter capable of handling 6 KW
  • a transfer switch if you wanted to power your whole house
If you do not get a transfer switch, they you would wind up running a whole bunch of extension cords from the inverter to your appliances. Do not think that is viable solution.

So I guess the MachE could power a few appliances: beyond that you would need a transfer switch

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

Prior to my whole house 20 KW standby generator, I had a gas powered Mistubishi 6 KW generator. It was able to power my refrigerators, freezers, a TV and about 12 lights and if I turned off the lights a range for cooking but of course no AC, dryer etc. So I would image I was using about 3/4 KW per hours.

With the MachE, 88 KW that would be a bit more than 1 day.

But to do that, would require:

• an inverter capable of handling 6 KW
  • a transfer switch if you wanted to power your whole house
If you do not get a transfer switch, they you would wind up running a whole bunch of extension cords from the inverter to your appliances. Do not think that is viable solution.

So I guess the MachE could power a few appliances: beyond that you would need a transfer switch
Agreed. The question is whether you feel the need to maintain your entire home electrical system during an outage or just keep critical systems on. You can do the latter a lot cheaper with extension cords.

Of course, having paid thousands of dollars for the installation of a 20kW standby, it's clear you were looking for the former.

Because the CCS charging system in the Mach E doesn't allow for reverse power, you won't be able to implement a 6-10kW solution. That requires CHAdeMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on the type/size of Home and Family. My Grid Tied Solar (36 - 300 Watt Rated produces not more than 7.6 KW/hr at daytime peak). I have 11 KW of battery backup connected to this with a 7.5 KW inverter that will power half of my Home (a few lights, outlets, ventiliation Fans, Refrigerator, etc.) for 18 to 36 hours of power outage.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depends on the type/size of Home and Family. My Grid Tied Solar (36 - 300 Watt Rated produces not more than 7.6 KW/hr at daytime peak). I have 11 KW of battery backup connected to this with a 7.5 KW inverter that will power half of my Home (a few lights, outlets, ventiliation Fans, Refrigerator, etc.) for 18 to 36 hours of power outage.
Using a Nissan Leaf EV for emergencies.

·
Registered
865 Posts
This in theory will of course work.

However, this is a very dangerous way to do it and clearly in violation of so many electrical codes.

If you forget to turn off the main breaker, you will be feeding power into not only your house but the electric grid.

For example you have a power outage: you hook this system up and forget to kill the main breaker. You hook the battery up and power is now in your house and the electric grid.

Someone working on the electric grid, who thinks the system is dead and is trying to repair it, will get a rude awakening.

The correct way to do this is to have a compulsory lock out from the grid on your panel before you can take any power from an auxiliary source to power your home.

The best way, which is what I have with my Generac standby whole house generator, is a UL certified automatic transfer switch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts