Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I'm picking my Premium AWD Ext Range today, and I cannot wait! Ordered it on May 1. Anyway, the dealer just asked me if I want to purchase an extended warranty? Curious what your thoughts are. Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi All - I'm picking my Premium AWD Ext Range today, and I cannot wait! Ordered it on May 1. Anyway, the dealer just asked me if I want to purchase an extended warranty? Curious what your thoughts are. Thanks to anyone who can help.
If you plan to keep the vehicle for more than 3 years, I would say absolutely!!!! You can also negotiate the price of the plan with your dealer. With so many electronics and computer items that could go bad and become very complicated to diagnose and expensive to replace. Just reading some things about some issues in this forum can tell you a lot. The Ford plan is also transferable to any new owner when you go to sell it. A great selling point. I did the 6 year, 72k miles plan as I usually change vehicles about every 4-5 years. I have a FE wit 10k miles on it since Feb, and zero problems so far. Only service so far was rotating the tires. The two recalls and dealer software update will be addressed when the dealer knows what they are doing and has all the parts. But so far, so good! Loving my ride!

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
3,222 Posts
If you need an extended warranty, shop around, dealers are noted for taking huge markups on them.
Correct and keep in mind that generally an extended warranty can be purchased at any time during ownership. I was getting offers on my 2018 Fusion right up to the time that I traded it in for the MMe.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If you plan to keep the vehicle for more than 3 years, I would say absolutely!!!! You can also negotiate the price of the plan with your dealer. With so many electronics and computer items that could go bad and become very complicated to diagnose and expensive to replace. Just reading some things about some issues in this forum can tell you a lot. The Ford plan is also transferable to any new owner when you go to sell it. A great selling point. I did the 6 year, 72k miles plan as I usually change vehicles about every 4-5 years. I have a FE wit 10k miles on it since Feb, and zero problems so far. Only service so far was rotating the tires. The two recalls and dealer software update will be addressed when the dealer knows what they are doing and has all the parts. But so far, so good! Loving my ride!
Just my $.02:

Presently the price of extended warranties are based on the cost of repairs of ICE.

This is axiomatic, as the cost of the Mach E, beyond the warranty period is totally unkown.

BEV are supposed to cost a fraction of what an ICE does to maintain.

As Summerlin Bob posted, extended warranties can be purchased anytime during the warranty period.

Until extended warranties reflect the cost of repairs on the Mach E, I would wait.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I never buy extended warranties. Ford already extends the battery warranty which is what I was most concerned about.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
3,222 Posts
I never buy extended warranties. Ford already extends the battery warranty which is what I was most concerned about.
I've never purchased an extended mainly because I don't keep my vehicles long enough to matter. However, in the case of my MMe I may keep it longer and if there is an extended down the line which makes sense to me, I might consider purchasing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up the car on Wednesday. (Love it -- almost cried I was so happy driving home.) Anyway, I chose not to purchase the extended warranty except for the tire replacement. It cost $770 for 6 years, unlimited mileage, and covers any damage to the tires or rims, even a scratch. Anything that can't be fixed is replaced, and it includes towing, which is great because there's no spare.

I've gotten flat tires twice in the last six months. I live in Pennsylvania, near Philly, and the roads across the state are the worst.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I picked up the car on Wednesday. (Love it -- almost cried I was so happy driving home.) Anyway, I chose not to purchase the extended warranty except for the tire replacement. It cost $770 for 6 years, unlimited mileage, and covers any damage to the tires or rims, even a scratch. Anything that can't be fixed is replaced, and it includes towing, which is great because there's no spare.

I've gotten flat tires twice in the last six months. I live in Pennsylvania, near Philly, and the roads across the state are the worst.
Is there a mileage limitation?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
nope. unlimited.
Just an observation:

You are prepaying today $770: If you set aside the $770 at 5% for six years it would be worth, $1031.

If at the end of 6 years, if you needed new tires, you would have the money for them.

Remember the MachE comes with a tire inflator kit which you can use to get you to a gas station to have the tire fixed, $40.

If you have less than 50% of the tread life and you have a blowout and the tire cannot be repaired, does the warranty cover the cost of a replacement or 50%?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an observation:

You are prepaying today $770: If you set aside the $770 at 5% for six years it would be worth, $1031.

If at the end of 6 years, if you needed new tires, you would have the money for them.

Remember the MachE comes with a tire inflator kit which you can use to get you to a gas station to have the tire fixed, $40.

If you have less than 50% of the tread life and you have a blowout and the tire cannot be repaired, does the warranty cover the cost of a replacement or 50%?
It would cover a new tire.

You may be right about the $1031, but my wife got the tire warranty for her Lexus, and she has no regrets. Ironically, about 20 minutes ago, she texted me that she has a flat (a nail), her fourth in 2 years. Three of the times they actually had to replace the tire. She has definitely saved money. That said, if I change my mind, I can cancel my warranty at any time and the prorated cost comes back to me. I really think it's a good deal given our circumstances.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
It would cover a new tire.

You may be right about the $1031, but my wife got the tire warranty for her Lexus, and she has no regrets. Ironically, about 20 minutes ago, she texted me that she has a flat (a nail), her fourth in 2 years. Three of the times they actually had to replace the tire. She has definitely saved money. That said, if I change my mind, I can cancel my warranty at any time and the prorated cost comes back to me. I really think it's a good deal given our circumstances.
If you can cancel and get back pro rata, it is not a bad deal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We bought Ford's 3 year premium extended warranty for $1900...the sales person, a real moron tried to slip in a third party warranty and I ripped him a new meaning of dealing with a senior that has a active brain.
Main reason is all the electronics, motors and ca eras. First year build another point. Wife wanteed the GTP and very glad she insisted since the sport seats are so comfortable along with magnaride suspension with smooths out the worst roads. Power is insane. Love the car and so far in 4000 miles a screen reset is the only glitch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We bought Ford's 3 year premium extended warranty for $1900...the sales person, a real moron tried to slip in a third party warranty and I ripped him a new meaning of dealing with a senior that has a active brain.
Main reason is all the electronics, motors and ca eras. First year build another point. Wife wanteed the GTP and very glad she insisted since the sport seats are so comfortable along with magnaride suspension with smooths out the worst roads. Power is insane. Love the car and so far in 4000 miles a screen reset is the only glitch.
I bought the 6 yr 100,000 mile Ford Protect Premium Care Extended Service Plan for Electric Vehicles. Cost at the time of purchase was $1,100. To many electronics can go wrong down the road.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla MY, 2017 Volt, Mach e Premium on order
153 Posts
I bought the 6 yr 100,000 mile Ford Protect Premium Care Extended Service Plan for Electric Vehicles. Cost at the time of purchase was $1,100. To many electronics can go wrong down the road.
And is that specific warranty transferable?

·
Registered
119 Posts
At the time i purchased my car I was working from home with a date to return to the office. My commute is 120 miles roundtrip so 30k+ miles a year. My warranty would be up in a year with the standard 3/36k. So i bought the 5yr/100k mile warranty. Turns out im still working from home with no set date to return yet. With first year car i decided to be safe. I should have shopped it around though.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla MY, 2017 Volt, Mach e Premium on order
153 Posts
From the Ford web site

Coverage is 100% Transferable.
Ford Protect Extended Service Plan is transferable and may increase the resale value of your vehicle.
Thanks. May is the operative term and remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At the time i purchased my car I was working from home with a date to return to the office. My commute is 120 miles roundtrip so 30k+ miles a year. My warranty would be up in a year with the standard 3/36k. So i bought the 5yr/100k mile warranty. Turns out im still working from home with no set date to return yet. With first year car i decided to be safe. I should have shopped it around though.
where did you purchaser?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts