Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and noted quite a bit of discussion about the new car warranty. I wanted to start this one regarding the extended warranty. From what I see it's quite pricey, I've owned a lot of vehicles over the years and never purchased an extended warrranty.

BUT having watching a number of vids on just how techy this vehicle is. I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea. BUT I"m assuming you can buy this warranty from ford at any time while the original warranty is in place? Looking for thoughts.

Also, most of the cars I've bought came with four year warranties. Never kept my cars longer than that. Being retired now it seems like this will be a long term vehicle.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you have Geico... look into Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. Pay as you go and surprisingly inexpensive. There is a deductible.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD Rapid Red
244 Posts
This certainly doesn’t appear to be something I’ll be working on in my garage.I figure the dealer will try and sell me a warranty when I pickup the car. I’ll judge then if it’s worthwhile, or if I want to wait a couple years and then add one. It comes with 3 years bumper to bumper. So I’ve got time. And these people keep calling me and offering warranties for all my vehicles.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought the extended warranty here in Canada. which effectively covers you after the standard first 3 years of unlimited warranty. Even if the main display screen fails in year 4- the cost would have paid for itself. To new of a ground up design and too many first time parts for me to have to be worried about repairing in years 3 to 8

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD Rapid Red
244 Posts
I bought the extended warranty here in Canada. which effectively covers you after the standard first 3 years of unlimited warranty. Even if the main display screen fails in year 4- the cost would have paid for itself. To new of a ground up design and too many first time parts for me to have to be worried about repairing in years 3 to 8
You were able to extend the bumper to bumper all the way out to 8 years? May I ask how much that cost?

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Me too thanks. The dealer was willing to warranty me into the next millennium for a 'mere' $5,400. IDTS
Wait, you can add FordProtect anytime before the original 3/36k warranty expires (according to Ford’s website). Its an expense you don’t need out the gate. Plus, Ford sometimes has specials where you can finance it for 0% should you wish to add it.

you may ‘trade-up’ again before the nexxt millennium 😬

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking any of the electronics that fail will be obscenely expensive

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,711 Posts
Wait, you can add FordProtect anytime before the original 3/36k warranty expires (according to Ford’s website). Its an expense you don’t need out the gate. Plus, Ford sometimes has specials where you can finance it for 0% should you wish to add it.

you may ‘trade-up’ again before the nexxt millennium 😬
I politely declined his offer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here! Got the 6yr 120k just to be sure. Everything is new in this car. Can’t take a chance

·
Registered
55 Posts
Extends up to 7 years 100K miles with a $50 deductible for $1770. That’s not bad at all in my book. But your link is broken. That took me to some tech website.
The link is FloodFordesp.com. These plans look good but I would hope "electrical" includes all the MME techy stuff. That isn't specifically clear with the various options. Their terminology is geared to CEVs- you know, those old fashioned vehicles! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,711 Posts
I don't propose to say what it the best in each case, however, as @MachDrive posted:
"Wait, you can add FordProtect anytime before the original 3/36k warranty expires (according to Ford’s website). Its an expense you don’t need out the gate. Plus, Ford sometimes has specials where you can finance it for 0% should you wish to add it."
To add to that the 3yr/36 was due to expire on my 2018 Fusion next month and Ford has been sending me deals on extended warranty plans for the past year. I expect that the same will be true for my new MACH-E if I decide to keep it past the warranty period.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
For simplicity, if we categorize quality issues some broad categories:
  1. Acute: Poor assembly/workmanship, early life mortality. These problems are generally addressed as production matures, dealer service departments can address them with relative ease. A part/assembly prone to failure gets improved versions. Usually these get shaken out during the warranty period.
  2. Chronic: Problems/Issues that are "baked into" the design and not easily addressed with a simple part/assembly replacement.
  3. "reverse lottery" (got the 1 failing part/assembly out of a million good ones)...
Buying an extended warranty is really to protect against 2 and 3. Standard warranty for the MME:
  • Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: 8 years or 100,00 miles (whichever occurs first), with retention of 70% or more of the original High Voltage Battery capacity over that period.
  • Powertrain coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles
  • Bumper to Bumper coverage: 3 years / 36,000 miles
  • Safety Restraint System coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles
  • Corrosion coverage (Perforation only): 5 years / unlimited miles
  • Electric Vehicle Roadside Assistance Program: 5 years / 60,000 miles
If the Acute issues are addressed in the warranty period, that leaves the Chronic and "Reverse Lottery" for any extended warranty to cover. For my own analysis... that parts I am nervous about that would be high cost repairs are the electronics and the air conditioner. To my knowledge Ford has never made or sourced an electric powered (not via an accessory belt) compression unit. But our friends down south who pretty much run it year round would find any issues before I do (maybe before the warranty period).

I think it's best to take a wait and see approach before any extended warranty.

·
Registered
410 Posts
  1. Acute: Poor assembly/workmanship, early life mortality. These problems are generally addressed as production matures, dealer service departments can address them with relative ease. A part/assembly prone to failure gets improved versions. Usually these get shaken out during the warranty period.
  2. Chronic: Problems/Issues that are "baked into" the design and not easily addressed with a simple part/assembly replacement.
  3. "reverse lottery" (got the 1 failing part/assembly out of a million good ones)...
Buying an extended warranty is really to protect against 2 and 3. Standard warranty for the MME:
  • Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: 8 years or 100,00 miles (whichever occurs first), with retention of 70% or more of the original High Voltage Battery capacity over that period.
If the Acute issues are addressed in the warranty period, that leaves the Chronic and "Reverse Lottery" for any extended warranty to cover. For my own analysis... that parts I am nervous about that would be high cost repairs are the electronics and the air conditioner. To my knowledge Ford has never made or sourced an electric powered (not via an accessory belt) compression unit. But our friends down south who pretty much run it year round would find any issues before I do (maybe before the warranty period).

Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: Only the high voltage components are covered for 8/100. That would include the battery, on-board charger, inverter, hv busses and wiring from charge port, the BECM (battery energy control module) and the 400 to 12v dc converter. Any 12v module as well as all SYNC system components only have the 3/36 coverage. I'm considering extended coverage mainly because of the low voltage electrical component hardware.

·
Registered
3 Posts

New member adding my two cents. 😁

I like your approach. IMO, waiting is the best bet at this point since you can purchase the extended warranty before bumper to bumper expires as mentioned in the previous posts.

I purchased from FordFloodESP a few years back for my Ford Fusion Energi. I have not had to make a claim yet and the warranty still active. I plan to use as leverage when selling if I sell before I purchase a Premier Mach E. You can also get a portion your money back if you sell and still have warranty left/unused (probably prorated).

My only reason If I buy an extended warranty like this would be for hedging against costs related to the Sync failures/repairs. As a comparison Tesla's cost to replace their MCU is ~ $2500.

BTW, it is clear the the extended warranty covers the Sync Hardware. It is listed in the High Tech section

High-Tech
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Automatic Park
    Assistant
  • Air suspension, electronic (selected components)
  • Anti-theft alarm, factory-installed
  • Compass and thermometer readout displays
  • Fuel Mixer (Alternative)
  • Forward Sensing
    System
  • Hybrid Engine
    Components (Excluding
    High-Voltage Battery)
  • Instrument cluster, electronic (excluding dash pad)
  • In-Dash Garmin™
    Voice-Activated
    Navigation System
    (Factory-Installed
    and Dealer)
  • Keyless entry system (excluding door handles)
  • Message Center
  • Power antenna
  • Power door locks and retainer clips (excluding door handles)
  • Power seat motors
  • Power window motors/regulators
  • Rain-Sensing Wipers
  • Rear Console
    Refrigeration
  • Safety Canopy
  • Reverse Camera
    System
  • Reverse Sensing
    System
  • SOS Post-Crash
    Alert System
  • Stationary Elevated
    Ride Control
  • Speed Control
  • SYNC® MyFord Touch® (Excludes Software Upgrades)
  • Speed control
  • Stationary Elevated Ride Control
  • Trailer Brake Module
  • Unique Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Components (Excluding High-Voltage Battery and Cables)
The handles are not included here and since the ones on the Mach E are different and new that may be something to look into further. They could be on another section

1 - 20 of 36 Posts