Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Extended warranty

19K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  merien36 
#1 ·
I did a search and noted quite a bit of discussion about the new car warranty. I wanted to start this one regarding the extended warranty. From what I see it's quite pricey, I've owned a lot of vehicles over the years and never purchased an extended warrranty.

BUT having watching a number of vids on just how techy this vehicle is. I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea. BUT I"m assuming you can buy this warranty from ford at any time while the original warranty is in place? Looking for thoughts.

Also, most of the cars I've bought came with four year warranties. Never kept my cars longer than that. Being retired now it seems like this will be a long term vehicle.

#2 ·
If you have Geico... look into Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. Pay as you go and surprisingly inexpensive. There is a deductible.

#5 ·
This certainly doesn’t appear to be something I’ll be working on in my garage.I figure the dealer will try and sell me a warranty when I pickup the car. I’ll judge then if it’s worthwhile, or if I want to wait a couple years and then add one. It comes with 3 years bumper to bumper. So I’ve got time. And these people keep calling me and offering warranties for all my vehicles.:ROFLMAO:

#6 ·
I bought the extended warranty here in Canada. which effectively covers you after the standard first 3 years of unlimited warranty. Even if the main display screen fails in year 4- the cost would have paid for itself. To new of a ground up design and too many first time parts for me to have to be worried about repairing in years 3 to 8

#17 ·
I don't propose to say what it the best in each case, however, as @MachDrive posted:
"Wait, you can add FordProtect anytime before the original 3/36k warranty expires (according to Ford’s website). Its an expense you don’t need out the gate. Plus, Ford sometimes has specials where you can finance it for 0% should you wish to add it."
To add to that the 3yr/36 was due to expire on my 2018 Fusion next month and Ford has been sending me deals on extended warranty plans for the past year. I expect that the same will be true for my new MACH-E if I decide to keep it past the warranty period.

#18 ·
For simplicity, if we categorize quality issues some broad categories:
  1. Acute: Poor assembly/workmanship, early life mortality. These problems are generally addressed as production matures, dealer service departments can address them with relative ease. A part/assembly prone to failure gets improved versions. Usually these get shaken out during the warranty period.
  2. Chronic: Problems/Issues that are "baked into" the design and not easily addressed with a simple part/assembly replacement.
  3. "reverse lottery" (got the 1 failing part/assembly out of a million good ones)...
Buying an extended warranty is really to protect against 2 and 3. Standard warranty for the MME:
  • Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: 8 years or 100,00 miles (whichever occurs first), with retention of 70% or more of the original High Voltage Battery capacity over that period.
  • Powertrain coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles
  • Bumper to Bumper coverage: 3 years / 36,000 miles
  • Safety Restraint System coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles
  • Corrosion coverage (Perforation only): 5 years / unlimited miles
  • Electric Vehicle Roadside Assistance Program: 5 years / 60,000 miles
If the Acute issues are addressed in the warranty period, that leaves the Chronic and "Reverse Lottery" for any extended warranty to cover. For my own analysis... that parts I am nervous about that would be high cost repairs are the electronics and the air conditioner. To my knowledge Ford has never made or sourced an electric powered (not via an accessory belt) compression unit. But our friends down south who pretty much run it year round would find any issues before I do (maybe before the warranty period).

I think it's best to take a wait and see approach before any extended warranty.

#19 ·
Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: Only the high voltage components are covered for 8/100. That would include the battery, on-board charger, inverter, hv busses and wiring from charge port, the BECM (battery energy control module) and the 400 to 12v dc converter. Any 12v module as well as all SYNC system components only have the 3/36 coverage. I'm considering extended coverage mainly because of the low voltage electrical component hardware.

#21 ·
I bought it because its fully transferable and I can see myself losing the main monitor (like the Tesla) in the 37th month. Its less that 5% of the final vehicle cost. It does seem a bit odd to pay for this 3 years in advance. Its like loading up your Starbucks card and then not buying a coffee for 3 years.

#24 ·
At the end of the day, something I've never done before, I purchased the extended warranty, just in view of the sync 4 system alone (I can just imagine what the sync 4 screen itself costs if if fails), I felt it was necessary as I plan to keep the car for a long time (which is a departure for me). I'd seen people get quotes as low as $1600. from certain dealers that specialize in the warranties, My dealer gave it to me for $2k so I went ahead with that price. My dealer did point out that as an EV a lot of the usual items to fail wouldn't be an issue here, but he did point out the tech stuff as being the area probably most likely to have issues.I have seen the price range all over the place from various posters.

#32 ·
I downloaded the brochure for the PremiumCare extended warranty. The hi-tech section states components unique to hybrid/electric vehicles. I would assume this includes the inverters and on-board charger. My concern is it is written around ICE vehicles. No where do I see it covering the electric motors unless they are considered hi-tech. Can anyone with an extended warranty clarify this point? Thanks.

#38 ·
Watch out on third party warranties which are big profit for dealers. I opted for the Ford extended warranty just because of the high cost of sensors, cameras, motors etc on a first year vehicle. My wife ordered the GTPE fully optioned fast, excellently built, and fits two cars seats.
Our 2011 Kia Optima SX has over 100000 miles and the only out of warranty repair was the back up camera. The 6 recalls were expected on a first year model. We negotiated the Ford warranty and paid $1900 which is transferable to next owner. Great selling point.

#39 ·
Yeah I ended up going with the ford extended warranty. Doing a bit of research I found you could get it for around $1600=1700 online. My dealer gave it to me for $1900 at time of purchase so I got it. I didn't realize the ford warranty was transferable, that's good to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.