Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
MME Premium 4X Rapid Red
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled up my Ford Escape today for $1.35 a gallon. Anyone think falling gas prices will have an effect on orders or reservations?

·
Registered
2006 Mazda RX-8
48 Posts
If the price of gas stays that low, I would say yes, it will reduce EV sales somewhat. We may still be early enough in the EV market that "fanboys" (like me) will buy them anyway, so the sales may not drop by a large amount. Unless we get a protracted recession or worse, I don't think gas prices will stay that low so it won't matter.

For me personally, I just love what I've seen so far with the Mach E and I love new tech. Unless my financial situation changes due to a coming bad economy, I will be buying that GT no matter the gas prices.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe not in the US, but here in Europe i expect that it comes to problem getting the gas from the well to the pump.
There is a lot that need to work well for that, so i expect raising prices.

·
Registered
MME Premium 4X Rapid Red
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW - I am not changing my mind. I have been waiting for this. We had a Ford Escape hybrid when they were new, and have bought our second Fusion Energi. The tech nerd and environmentalist in me wants this car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Fuel prices were never the primary factor in my wanting an EV.
In the not-so-distant future, oil will be sitting at refineries unused, the wells shut down, gas will be worth less than it costs to produce. Some of the biggest economies and markets are pushing renewable energy sources.
2 million current EVs on the road averages more than One Billion gallons of gas not consumed Per Year! The more EVs, the better!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't think it will matter for most folks. Even those on the fence can see EVs are the future.

Plus, I think this oil situation is short term as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I filled up at 74.9 cents a liter the other day which is incredible, but I don't think it'll affect EV sales that much because these prices aren't here to stay. It's because of the virus and the oil war with Russia and Saudi Arabia.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It seems like whenever gas prices are high, people go out and buy fancy new hybrids and more fuel efficient cars. Whenever they are low, they go out and buy big fancy SUVs. Doesn't make any sense, buying a new car every few years isn't going to save any money over gas savings.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I filled up my Ford Escape today for $1.35 a gallon. Anyone think falling gas prices will have an effect on orders or reservations?
Yes, there's always some impact at the margin. But I don't expect it to be major. Gas prices have been relatively low for some time anyway, and I don't think many really expect it to stay below $2 for long.

The much bigger impact should be on car sales in general from the economic crisis. Sales of big-ticket items suffer as many people try to preserve their income and savings for the essentials. Experts are already predicting a 35% drop in March auto sales numbers.

·
Registered
378 Posts
One thing i noticed is that diesel prices haven't dropped nearly as much as gas prices have. I wonder why that is.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's probably the case, I guess Russia and Saudi Arabia aren't flooding the market with diesel.
They'd typically only be shipping crude oil, not refined product (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, asphalt, etc). The refineries are the ones that separate crude into their end products. Refineries are usually located in or near the countries consuming the products, since it's much easier to ship crude long distances.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts