Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was looking up more Tax credit info and found there is a Federal Tax credit up to $1000 for installation and purchase of a home car charger. It pays 30% of the cost of the charger/materials/installation. But it ends dec 31st 2020. It was extended last year. Any word if it will be extended again? Or if we could get one installed before we have a car and get the credit?

·
Registered
393 Posts
The EVSE credit doesn't require ownership of an EV. So you could get that work done now if you wanted to, and figure in the credit while reconciling 2020 taxes.

Will Congress decide to extend it again? No idea. Late last year, Congress retroactively extended the credit for 2017-2020 tax years. Who knows, but maybe it will be reinstated for 2021 but not right away, just like last time?

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
89 Posts
The EVSE credit doesn't require ownership of an EV. So you could get that work done now if you wanted to, and figure in the credit while reconciling 2020 taxes.

Will Congress decide to extend it again? No idea. Late last year, Congress retroactively extended the credit for 2017-2020 tax years. Who knows, but maybe it will be reinstated for 2021 but not right away, just like last time?
My difficulty is that my utility requires delivery of the vehicle in the same calendar year as the EVSE install in order to get their rebate. In theory, since the rebate is paid as a check after I pay for the charger and installation, I imagine I could claim the credit and the utility rebate... but the utility rebate is worth more, and as I don't have a build date yet I will have to wait till 21 anyway. :(

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
872 Posts
My difficulty is that my utility requires delivery of the vehicle in the same calendar year as the EVSE install in order to get their rebate. In theory, since the rebate is paid as a check after I pay for the charger and installation, I imagine I could claim the credit and the utility rebate... but the utility rebate is worth more, and as I don't have a build date yet I will have to wait till 21 anyway. :(
I believe you posted that you presently have a Model 3.

Why not just use the charger for the Model 3 for your FE?

There are adapters available at a modest cost.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I believe you posted that you presently have a Model 3.

Why not just use the charger for the Model 3 for your FE?

There are adapters available at a modest cost.
I currently just use a wall outlet. I was debating using the utility rebate (which didn't exist when I bought my 3) to install a Level 2 station.

I'm not 100% convinced I will go Level 2 though. It hasn't been needed so far in the last 2 years with the 3.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
872 Posts
I currently just use a wall outlet. I was debating using the utility rebate (which didn't exist when I bought my 3) to install a Level 2 station.

I'm not 100% convinced I will go Level 2 though. It hasn't been needed so far in the last 2 years with the 3.
For the MME the 120 volt wall unit is projected to give 3 miles per hour. Overnight that is 30 miles.

That would not be sufficient for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
For the MME the 120 volt wall unit is projected to give 3 miles per hour. Overnight that is 30 miles.

That would not be sufficient for me.
My commute (prior to WFH) was under 5 miles round trip.

I drive 20,000+ miles a year, but mostly on road trips.

So buying a home charger at all is only going to happen opportunistically, like the $500 rebate from the utility + the tax credit, for example.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts