Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oct 15 (Reuters) - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV will invest between $1.35 billion and $1.5 billion in its Windsor assembly plant in Canada to build electric vehicles as part of a tentative deal with Canadian autoworkers, Unifor National President Jerry Dias said on Thursday.

The auto union said FCA would invest in a state-of-the-art vehicle platform that will enable the assembly of plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles, with at least one new model in 2025.

The announcement comes less than a month after Unifor said Ford Motor Co ( F

) would invest C$1.95 billion ($1.46 billion) in its Oakville and Windsor plants.

"Not only is Fiat-Chrysler maintaining the current portfolio but they will be investing three derivatives to enhance the current portfolio," Dias said. (Deal with Fiat Chrysler secures $1.5 billion electric vehicle investment)

Unifor also said it expects to extend the life of the Chrysler 300, a rear-wheel-drive luxury car and introduce multiple derivatives of the Dodge Charger and Challenger.

The union said as many as 2,000 jobs would be added in 2024 at the Windsor plant.

Market forecasting firm LMC Automotive on Thursday said it would take until 2024 for U.S. vehicle sales to recover from the coronavirus downturn and get close to the 17 million vehicles sold in 2019.

Ratification meetings for the FCA deal will happen over the weekend, and members will vote on whether to accept the agreement on Sunday.

The union is expected to begin negotiations with General Motors Co's ( GM

) Canadian unit next week. (Reporting by Sanjana Shivdas in Bengaluru; Editing by Ramakrishnan M.)

·
Registered
582 Posts
FCA could be the big loser in the transition to electrification. What do they have at present? A couple of Fiat city cars? The Grand Wagoneer should have been built as a BEV platform.
Yup - they're even worse than Toyota. Their fleet pooling with Tesla basically ended any real motivation for BEVs, and I question their desire even for PHEVs.

Within 10 years what's left of the Chrysler carcass will be sold off for parts. I would say "good riddance", but of course the clowns responsible for it will all pad their golden parachutes with the pension fund while the frontline workers will get left with nothing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yup - they're even worse than Toyota. Their fleet pooling with Tesla basically ended any real motivation for BEVs, and I question their desire even for PHEVs.

Within 10 years what's left of the Chrysler carcass will be sold off for parts. I would say "good riddance", but of course the clowns responsible for it will all pad their golden parachutes with the pension fund while the frontline workers will get left with nothing.
I do think Toyota will eventually get it together.
Subaru will likely become a part of Toyota at some point.
What happens to Mazda?

If the MME experience goes well... I may put a deposit down on a full sized SUV. Right now Rivian is the only option but there may be a Hummer BEV pickup based SUV shortly.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
997 Posts
There's now a hybrid Jeep Wrangler 4XE. Still, pretty slim picking.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
exactly correct: slim pickings. I don't see them pushing those; they seem like just another compliance checkbox.
The biggest hurdle for FCA will be the logistics of mounting a wind turbine on the vehicle's roof to keep the multiple AA Battery packs charged to date they're working on an adhesive that won't cause the glass roof to blow off.o_O

·
Super Moderator
1,218 Posts
Don’t forget, they merged with Peugeots, and they have an EV program.

Hopefully, they can get their act together and get something cooking.

Reactions: symos

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
997 Posts
Don’t forget, they merged with Peugeots, and they have an EV program.

Hopefully, they can get their act together and get something cooking.
Thanks. I forgot Peugeot was now part of FCA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts