Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Finally! A true AWD performance vehicle from Ford!

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ReturnOfTheMack 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I currently own a 2013 Taurus SHO. I live in the midwest and consider AWD an absolute must on any vehicle I own. I jumped at the chance to buy the SHO as I need something I can drive year round but also enjoy from a performance standpoint. The Taurus had a lot of limitations built into it, however. The FWD based drivetrain created reliability and modding headaches. Also, the weight was a major issue considering Ford neutered the torque output of the EcoBoost so the drivetrain would not break. I personally think there is a large market out there for an affordable AWD EV with a performance slant. Not much is known about the Mach E right now so I am eagerly waiting for the reveal and specs. I am definitely in the market to buy one if it is everything I think it will be.

#3 ·
I haven't had any major issues with my SHO yet. I have a stage 2 tune on it. I had it on an AWD dyno about two months ago and it put down 350 hp at the wheel. This translates to about 412 hp at the crank. I need something with 4 doors and AWD which leaves a lot of vehicles off the list. The Mach E is right up my alley since it will give me 4 doors, AWD and the performance aspect is important also. I will not buy a regular non performance sedan or SUV. I guess I consider a performance vehicle as a little treat to myself. I thought about a Tesla but I am a diehard Ford fan first and foremost and I also think that most Tesla products are just too expensive. I am hoping the Mach E will give me the performance of the upcoming Tesla Y with better handling and a much better price. The Tesla model Y will reportedly be around $60k for the performance version and I am sure there will be a long waiting list so if I can get a Mach E for $40k to $45k and it matches a model Y and hopefully in some ways exceeds it, I will be happy. I am hopeful that the Mach E will pack a lot of value because Ford knows they need to knock this out of the park to have a fighting chance against all of the EV's coming out. I guess we will see.

#4 ·
Wow that sounds like one heck of a setup for your Taurus, nicely done! If Ford is truly basing the Mach E off the Mustang, there shouldn't be an issue for performance. It's incredible how much instant power you can get with an EV.

I'm very curious to see how much of Rivian's technology Ford incorporates into the Mach E, especially with Ford investing $500 million into the company. As for price, I'd be surprised if the Mach E is priced similarly to the Model Y or the Model X, I don't think that would do Ford any favors.

#5 ·
I hope Ford doesn't price the Mach E to close to the Tesla products but from everything I have read so far, pricing is supposed to start at $39k and go up from there based on options. In my opinion, it will probably only undercut the Tesla Y by about $10-15k. That is a potential problem because Ford does not have the brand cachet like Tesla does, especially in the EV market. I guess it will come down to how good the Mach E ends up being. It is highly unlikely that the Mach E will beat the Tesla Y (it's main competitor) on straight line performance but Ford can beat Tesla on handling and bang for your buck depending on how the option packages end up being priced.

#6 ·
If Ford prices the Mach E in the same ballpark as a Tesla it's going to be a huge flop. I agree with @grimey4life they don't have to be faster than Tesla to be successful.

Ford says that the Mach E will have an EPA-estimated range of 300 miles which puts in a great position against the competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.