Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That ETA is several weeks before my FE which was built on 12/6 but has been delayed until end of March.

Is ours now a "Second Edition"?

Good Luck and Congrats!
I suppose you are right in that statement as FE has really meant nothing to Ford. I honestly think they should give us a break on price, but I realize that is VERY unlikely!!

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
2,053 Posts
I suppose you are right in that statement as FE has really meant nothing to Ford. I honestly think they should give us a break on price, but I realize that is VERY unlikely!!
They should have called it "Special Edition": It certainly is not "First Edition" and I for one do not intend to pay a "premium" for something it is not.

Fortunately I can wait: If the dealer does not reduce the price, I will not take delivery and wait until the Fall and get the Premium AWD LR and save $3,600.

I hope more who have ordered the FE will do the same: not take delivery unless there is a substantial price reduction. If we all do, then Ford will have to reduce the price.

·
Registered
452 Posts
That ETA is several weeks before my FE which was built on 12/6 but has been delayed until end of March.

Is ours now a "Second Edition"?

Good Luck and Congrats!
Depending on when it comes it could be a "second, third or fourth". I don't get the order Ford is going with here.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Depending on when it comes it could be a "second, third or fourth". I don't get the order Ford is going with here.
Going back the June/July, if you review the posts back then, most on this forum felt the following would be the order of production:

• First Edition
  • Premium
  • Select
The more expensive Premiums, AWD LR would follow the First Editions. The Select being the cheapest would be last.

Boy were we all wrong!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Going back the June/July, if you review the posts back then, most on this forum felt the following would be the order of production:

• First Edition
  • Premium
  • Select
The more expensive Premiums, AWD LR would follow the First Editions. The Select being the cheapest would be last.

Boy were we all wrong!
Now that makes sense to me. Not whatever this is.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Now that makes sense to me. Not whatever this is.
First we thought it was color. Then we thought it was geographic areas.

But with a combination of Selects, Premiums and FE as the first production, shipments going all around the country, all different colors, I cannot figure out how Ford is doing the production.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

• First Edition
  • Premium
  • Select

Boy were we all wrong!
Right?!?! It’s unfortunate! But hopefully there was a REAL reason for that, but don’t know if that will ever be explained.

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
With only a limited number of first editions to be built (not talking about the drop versions), they would be too scattered to be built and shipped across the globe first, thats not cost-effective. So it would make sense to squeeze in some of the other models to ensure rail-cars and car-carriers were full to their respective destinations.

This would have been well and good, then came the unexpected delay. Here is my guess based on the many posts in these forums.

EPA results didn’t come back until mid-November.

Production OKTB wasn’t given until mid-December.

The first customer builds from Nov 23 - Dec 1 (right before OKTB) seem to be the ones that have been held for QA, there may have been some adjustments done to get OKTB that they want to ensure are in place on those cars. While unfortunate, it would be a necessary evil.

There has been no evidence of a software issue or serious hardware issue. All the articles are based on hearsay and rumors.

Which unfortunately start on the forums as we play amateur detectives, or dealers giving improper information by confusing Ford TSBs for different vehicles with the Mach-E.

Hopefully as things progress, the time from build to delivery will shorten. @Xaviermd1 and everyone else has to keep us posted if delivery dates change.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
With only a limited number of first editions to be built (not talking about the drop versions), they would be too scattered to be built and shipped across the globe first, thats not cost-effective. So it would make sense to squeeze in some of the other models to ensure rail-cars and car-carriers were full to their respective destinations.
With all due respect, your are the moderator, I do not think this makes any sense.

The initial production line was moving very, very slowly. - perhaps 100 cars a day. There were only three colors for the First Edition, vs. 7 for the Premium and Select. The FE were a limited production. From post on this Forum the number of FE were rumored to be 10% or 5,000 cars.

It would have taken Ford about two months, or even possibly longer, to produce the 5,000 FE. Instead of doing that, they started to produce the Premium and Select: but you still only got 5,000 cars in the first two months. That is all Ford can ship.

Producing the FE because of colors being limited to three, vs. 7, made production of the FE easier. When Ford opened up production to the Select and Premium, 5 additional colors were added. (no grabber blue). This slows down the production line.

At the end of the day, during the first 2 plus months, Ford could only produce 5,000 cars.

Shipping FE or a combination makes no difference.

The bottom line: Ford should have called the FE something else but certainly not First Edition which it is not.

But maybe I am wrong: Maybe getting a ME at the end of March, while others are getting them now, still makes cars delivered end of March, two months later still a First Editions?

Once the First Edition is not FIRST PRODUCTION, I just feel quite foolish paying a premium of $3,600 for basically a Premium AWD LR with a few cosmetic differences.

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
With all due respect, your are the moderator, I do not think this makes any sense.

The initial production line was moving very, very slowly. - perhaps 100 cars a day. There were only three colors for the First Edition, vs. 7 for the Premium and Select. The FE were a limited production. From post on this Forum the number of FE were rumored to be 10% or 5,000 cars.

It would have taken Ford about two months, or even possibly longer, to produce the 5,000 FE. Instead of doing that, they started to produce the Premium and Select: but you still only got 5,000 cars in the first two months. That is all Ford can ship.

Producing the FE because of colors being limited to three, vs. 7, made production of the FE easier. When Ford opened up production to the Select and Premium, 5 additional colors were added. (no grabber blue). This slows down the production line.

At the end of the day, during the first 2 plus months, Ford could only produce 5,000 cars.

Shipping FE or a combination makes no difference.

The bottom line: Ford should have called the FE something else but certainly not First Edition which it is not.

But maybe I am wrong: Maybe getting a ME at the end of March, while others are getting them now, still makes cars delivered end of March, two months later still a First Editions?

Once the First Edition is not FIRST PRODUCTION, I just feel quite foolish paying a premium of $3,600 for basically a Premium AWD LR with a few cosmetic differences.

No worries, we disagree all the time. I’m a volunteer moderator, not an employee or anything. I can give my opinions as any other member here.

The rumor (there is that word again) of 5k FE? That number seems way too high. There were originally 3500 Bronco FE allotted, which they increased to 7k because it was so popular (as per Ford). And that run was expected to be at least 150k, which reservations have far exceeded.

The number of MME FE actually sold will eventually be released. I will be surprised if it gets close to 2500.

Painting vehicles in varying colors does not slow down the line. The body shop feeds to the paint shop, and many painted frames are queued up in a giant holding pen, like a car vending machine. Its quite impressive. the only things I could see slowing the line are Covid precautions, QA checks, and maybe component availability.

Is it worth $3,600? Thats up to the individual. Me personally, I wanted the light interior. I also have no desire to hold the MMe for 25 years on the off-chance it becomes a collectible. An FE could possibly have a higher private resale value, though, compared to us MMe commoners.

What Ford should have done is have two exclusive colors for the FE, not shared by either the regular MMe or the GT. Now, that would be special and justify some of the price.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,625 Posts
No worries, we disagree all the time. I’m a volunteer moderator, not an employee or anything. I can give my opinions as any other member here.

The rumor (there is that word again) of 5k FE? That number seems way too high. There were originally 3500 Bronco FE allotted, which they increased to 7k because it was so popular (as per Ford). And that run was expected to be at least 150k, which reservations have far exceeded.

The number of MME FE actually sold will eventually be released. I will be surprised if it gets close to 2500.

Painting vehicles in varying colors does not slow down the line. The body shop feeds to the paint shop, and many painted frames are queued up in a giant holding pen, like a car vending machine. Its quite impressive. the only things I could see slowing the line are Covid precautions, QA checks, and maybe component availability.

Is it worth $3,600? Thats up to the individual. Me personally, I wanted the light interior. I also have no desire to hold the MMe for 25 years on the off-chance it becomes a collectible. An FE could possibly have a higher private resale value, though, compared to us MMe commoners.

What Ford should have done is have two exclusive colors for the FE, not shared by either the regular MMe or the GT. Now, that would be special and justify some of the price.
I agree that the FEs should have had unique colors to ID them as a limited production vehicle or perhaps the 'GT' grill. The red calipers in my opinion aren't enough (especially when people like me have theirs powder coated) to distinguish the FE. Delivery would have to be in a mix of models since no company is going to put one vehicle on a car carrier and ship it to a dealer in the back bayou of Terrebonne Parish (or the Tri-State area). As to price, they should command more than the 'regular' production MMe's at least sell faster when they are listed by the owners. First Edition vs. Second Edition, that's a topic which can and may be debated just like "Is the Mach-E really a Mustang" for sometime to come. Lastly, if my feeble old brain remembers correctly, there was supposed to be an order to production, FE, Premium although I don't recall that being subdivided into RWD and AWD, Select (can't remember where the CA Rt. One's fell in to the mix).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts