Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received my Mach-e and this is my first trip where i will need to charge on the road.I am taking a major interstate 4 hours away doing some business and then driving 4 hours back.

The trip planner in fordpass is not all that friendly and it won't let me set up a round trip route. It also says i won't need to charge if I leave at 100%. But that of course does not cover local travel and the return.

I have a few questions:

Do I need to set up an Electrify America account if I have activated the fordpass charging network?
Should I be setting up accounts on other networks like charge point?
Is there better trip planning apps that show fast chargers than the fordpass app on android?

I am not really near a EA fast charger to test before my first trip. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
The nearest EA site for me is 40 miles away so I went with chargepoint (charging stations a couple miles from my house). I actually tried if for the first time yesterday, dead easy FYI I couldn't get the charge station to recognize my phone even tho I did all the steps multiple times, BUT the RFID card they sent me worked perfectly.

I haven't planned any trips, but this A Better Routeplanner has been recommended by a lot of the experienced EV people so you might look into this as far as figuring out your route.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I Better Route Planner is used by all EV owners, including Tesla. I personally like it since I can control where I stop to charge instead of Ford Nav telling me. But I'd absolutely make sure you have Plug and Charge activated on your FordPass app, theres a few screens where you have to press "ok". Then login to your ford account on a desktop and go to the "connected services" screen under your Mach-E. You get free fast charging through EA so that'll save you some money. Plus it'll link your credit card to your Mach-E so you'll have a seemless charging experience. I haven't had a single issue fast charging my Mach-E.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I Better Route Planner is used by all EV owners, including Tesla. I personally like it since I can control where I stop to charge instead of Ford Nav telling me. But I'd absolutely make sure you have Plug and Charge activated on your FordPass app, theres a few screens where you have to press "ok". Then login to your ford account on a desktop and go to the "connected services" screen under your Mach-E. You get free fast charging through EA so that'll save you some money. Plus it'll link your credit card to your Mach-E so you'll have a seemless charging experience. I haven't had a single issue fast charging my Mach-E.
I'm not sure I understand this. Don't you also have to pay the monthly fee to EA? How does the free fast charging work, aside from the 250kw we get with fordpass app I wasn't aware anything else was available for free?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this. Don't you also have to pay the monthly fee to EA? How does the free fast charging work, aside from the 250kw we get with fordpass app I wasn't aware anything else was available for free?
No at first. When we bought the Mach-E Ford threw in 250kWh worth of free fast charging. You can see this in your "connected services" section on the Ford account website. It shows what you used and how much free charging you have left. I don't have an EA account at all and I use their fast chargers. When you setup "plug and charge" through FordPass, it'll pull the credit card info that's on file in your Ford account. So when you go to EA to charge, it'll recognize the car, see the credits, use those to charge, or it'll charge your credit card at the end if you don't have credits left. EA and Ford have a special contract together so we don't have to setup an EA account. Other EV brands need an account.
Also, once you run out of free charging you can signup for EA's monthly membership if you want for $4. It'll bring the kWh charge down to $0.31. If you go on frequent road trips, that'll save a few bucks.
Here's a video of me fast charging for the first time. I setup "plug and charge" on Fordpass, then enabled my free credits through "connected services" on a desktop. Then I just plugged in and it charged automatically.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts