Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious for those who actually went to one of the tour stops and got to see a "production" vehicle, did anything stand out for you?

Anything you didn't love? Or thought was different than it was?

Or is everyone pleased?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've now been to two tours and going to one more on November 10th. I was disappointed the representatives were limiting how long you could be with the car and they really didn't know anything about it but the basics. One of them definitely seemed to be very tired but Iunderstand it's not a fun when you have to do it all day long. What they need to be reminded is we are excited about the car and have been waiting since November just to see it.

For the car itself I was hoping that the screen would be angled a little bit better or allow you to move it up and down or side to side. It just seems too much of a straight view and I don't know how that's going to be as you're driving. I was also surprised how small the frunk is and that I didn't like the color of the white seats; they look creamy which makes me happy I got the black ones. This is a production model so maybe the color is off. I don't know why they made the armrest a floating one and it doesn't have any USB ports inside it, just a 12 volt. I tried to stick my purse under it as someone suggested but that doesn't work either so it seems like a waste of space which brings me to the observation that it seems to be lacking in overall storage places. The back passenger door was narrow and you could tell a lot of people were hitting their foot on the molding because it was very dirty. I did like the overall height of the car and it was easy to get in and the front seat was roomy.

I'm curious to see what others think. I'm still deciding if this is the car that I want to spend $55,000 on but it does look really nice and has the right amount of sportiness versus SUV.

·
Registered
Star White Premium AWD ER
34 Posts
For the car itself I was hoping that the screen would be angled a little bit better or allow you to move it up and down or side to side.
If I remember right from the live immersion Episode 3, they said it is positioned to avoid sun reflection

·
Registered
85 Posts
If I remember right from the live immersion Episode 3, they said it is positioned to avoid sun reflection
I don't understand why they didn't include a way to cantilever it so that it could be adjusted, even slightly to avoid the sun in some situations or if somebody needs to make it a little higher or lower to keep it at eye level. It's hard to get a feel for it or see how it's going to look until driving the car.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Maybe I am copying my answers from Jayally, but yes the storage space under the phone charger has too small of an opening, and it would make a lot of sense to put a USB A port in the armrest compartment. I would love to have seen a rapid red route 1 in person, especially the wheels. I don't like the look of the all black aerocovers in pictures, but hopefully the wheels under the covers look nice and I can just take them off. I much preferred the original covers.

I'm actually very pleased with the overall looks and size of the car, and it will suit me just fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just my take. I am a bit disappointed with the interior - not as stylish as exterior - especially the glove compartment area. Generally I feel the plastics and ActiveX don't feel that premium and the SYNC 4A not as snappy as my smartphone. The volume and gear shift knobs could probably improve as well.

On the exterior, I think the car could be a bit more taller.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
865 Posts
Just my take. I am a bit disappointed with the interior - not as stylish as exterior - especially the glove compartment area. Generally I feel the plastics and ActiveX don't feel that premium and the SYNC 4A not as snappy as my smartphone. The volume and gear shift knobs could probably improve as well.

On the exterior, I think the car could be a bit more taller.
In your opinion is it a step up or the same as the Model Y interior?

·
Registered
85 Posts
In your opinion is it a step up or the same as the Model Y interior?
The Model Y has a lot going for it in terms of the interior, especially the storage although there are a lot of complaints about the overall fit and finish. The 2 reasons I don't want one are the front seats are narrower and I want a gauge behind the steering wheel. I don't like the idea of having to look at the center screen for everything.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,117 Posts
Maybe I am copying my answers from Jayally, but yes the storage space under the phone charger has too small of an opening, and it would make a lot of sense to put a USB A port in the armrest compartment. I would love to have seen a rapid red route 1 in person, especially the wheels. I don't like the look of the all black aerocovers in pictures, but hopefully the wheels under the covers look nice and I can just take them off. I much preferred the original covers.

I'm actually very pleased with the overall looks and size of the car, and it will suit me just fine.
I can just see @timbop chasing a Mach E down the street with a tire iron "I just want to look under your covers"!

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
I asked this same question of my wife, she is a true petrol-head and is proud of it. She and I agree on the things I outline here.

Love the exterior design, just have two functional things:

First, we wish there was a little handle on the back doors like the front. People are very reluctant to put their fingers in the door-jam, its not intuitive like the front door.

Second, The front-trunk lid has to be closed with force to get past the double-latch mechanism. If you close it too softly, the first latch catches and is a pain to get closed all the way. So you have to fling it closed from no less than the 1-foot open position.

On the interior, we like the design. I can see the Mustang visual queues better in person. The way the doors mate to the dash is reminiscent of the Mustangs of the 1960’s. My wife, who has always driven foreign luxury cars of all types, was pleasantly surprised on how much she liked it. But there were short-comings.

The interior primary touch surfaces are nice, padded, textured, etc. However, there are secondary areas where the plastic is just average, like the inside of the center bin. Don’t get me wrong, its not rough-edged and I don’t think it will break under normal use, they just stand out next to the other materials.
Like on the dash, where the FE has diamond-plate aluminum inlays, there is just textured black-plastic on the other trims. It looks nice, but to the touch it seems out of place.

The Active-X material is okay, it tries its best to simulate soft-leather of a good chair. At first-touch it may pass as leather, but the surface grip is just too heavy. Outside of that, the seats are extremely comfortable, the rear-bench surprisingly so.

We also agree with earlier posts here, the storage cubbies, glove box, door pockets, etc, seem to be in the small side for a CUV/SUV. And the lack of hidden USB ports and no 110 outlet.

None of these issues would prevent me from choosing the Mach-E. I think there are way more positives to the design than there are negatives.

What I like best is: i can completely block-out the center screen and just get in and go. A new driver can sit down, adjust the mirrors and seats, start the vehicle and drive. No additional instructions on ‘how-to’ do anything, never touching the interface. This user experience will be adopted quicker by typical ICE drivers than that of the Model Y. My wife absolutely HATED the Tesla for this reason, and was glad that the MMe was not functionally the same.

all this is good, or the boss wouldn’t let me go through with the purchase. She is quick to point out that the purchase still hinges on her test drive, not mine.🙄

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
865 Posts
I asked this same question of my wife, she is a true petrol-head and is proud of it. She and I agree on the things I outline here.

First, we wish there was a little handle on the back doors like the front. People are very reluctant to put their fingers in the door-jam, its not intuitive like the front door.

Second, The front-trunk lid has to be closed with force to get past the double-latch mechanism. If you close it too softly, the first latch catches and is a pain to get closed all the way. So you have to fling it closed from no less than the 1-foot open position.

On the interior, we like the design. I can see the Mustang visual queues better in person. The way the doors mate to the dash is reminiscent of the Mustangs of the 1960’s. My wife, who has always driven foreign luxury cars of all types, was pleasantly surprised on how much she liked it. But there were short-comings.

The interior primary touch surfaces are nice, padded, textured, etc. However, there are secondary areas where the plastic is just average, like the inside of the center bin. Don’t get me wrong, its not rough-edged and I don’t think it will break under normal use, they just stand out next to the other materials.
Like on the dash, where the FE has diamond-plate aluminum inlays, there is just textured black-plastic on the other trims. It looks nice, but to the touch it seems out of place.

The Active-X material is okay, it tries its best to simulate soft-leather of a good chair. At first-touch it may pass as leather, but the surface grip is just too heavy. Outside of that, the seats are extremely comfortable, the rear-bench surprisingly so.

We also agree with earlier posts here, the storage cubbies, glove box, door pockets, etc, seem to be in the small side for a CUV/SUV. And the lack of hidden USB ports and no 110 outlet.

None of these issues would prevent me from choosing the Mach-E. I think there are way more positives to the design than there are negatives.

What I like best is: i can completely block-out the center screen and just get in and go. A new driver can sit down, adjust the mirrors and seats, start the vehicle and drive. No additional instructions on ‘how-to’ do anything, never touching the interface. This user experience will be adopted quicker by typical ICE drivers than that of the Model Y. My wife absolutely HATED the Tesla for this reason, and was glad that the MMe was not functionally the same.

all this is good, or the boss wouldn’t let me go through with the purchase. She is quick to point out that the purchase still hinges on her test drive, not mine.🙄
Happy wife Happy Life!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good review MacDrive. thanks. I also noticed that the cup holder area looked cheap and plasticy. I wish there was something nice that could cover that area up. It looks base model economy car cup holder to me.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Good review MacDrive. thanks. I also noticed that the cup holder area looked cheap and plasticy. I wish there was something nice that could cover that area up. It looks base model economy car cup holder to me.
How would you recommend they change it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
How would you recommend they change it?
Not sure, maybe a sliding cover like a lot of luxury cars, or even slightly better looking plastic? It just looks cheap compared to the rest of the console. Probably some type of cover for when not in use. But, I'm just nit picking.

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
50 Posts
I don't understand why they didn't include a way to cantilever it so that it could be adjusted, even slightly to avoid the sun in some situations or if somebody needs to make it a little higher or lower to keep it at eye level.
NVH, I am guessing: You don't want the display to become loose and develop a rattle with time. The mechanisms that would allow it to pivot could also contribute to its vibration response, which I assume is important for reliability and life.

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
50 Posts
I asked this same question of my wife, she is a true petrol-head and is proud of it.
Yikes!
The higher position at which you probably (not having seen it in person) access the rear door, compared to the front, is however much more ergonomic. On my Spark EV, the rear door handle is much higher than the front one. With time, I really appreciate this and find myself wishing the front handle were higher so I would not have to bend over to reach it-It's impossible, of course. I'm hoping the absence of the rear handle is something you'll get used to and come to accept because of the more ergonomic access.

·
Registered
125 Posts

The rear door opening was designed for kids. Ron Heiser (Ford Engineering) said that is the way kids open a door, rather than with the latch. There is a built in safety to prevent your fingers from getting squashed. You have to open the rear door somewhat before it will allow you to close it. So you adults will just have to concede this to the kids. I'm also betting kids will love pushing the button, just like they do elevator buttons. I am not making any judgement one way or the other until I actually can operate the doors myself.

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
The rear door opening was designed for kids. Ron Heiser (Ford Engineering) said that is the way kids open a door, rather than with the latch. There is a built in safety to prevent your fingers from getting squashed. You have to open the rear door somewhat before it will allow you to close it. So you adults will just have to concede this to the kids. I'm also betting kids will love pushing the button, just like they do elevator buttons. I am not making any judgement one way or the other until I actually can operate the doors myself.
It does prevent the doors from closing again. You have to open it a few inches before you can close it again.
But it was the feeling of putting your fingers in a precarious position I am referencing. Just like letting a car brake for you the first few times.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Having opened both the front and rear doors, I felt both to be very natural.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
One item I hope they will fix in the final production models:

Moisture inside the headlamp lens. This was a July-build pre-production model but I really hope we don't see this happening in our cars.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts