Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
One item I hope they will fix in the final production models:
View attachment 2870
Moisture inside the headlamp lens. This was a July-build pre-production model but I really hope we don't see this happening in our cars.
When they order parts built like headlights from their suppliers, there are usually pre-production runs as well.

this may be a damaged or defective one of those pre-production test units, but good enough for a car that will probably be used for crash testing once the tour is over.

They better have worked out any issues. I have similar LED headlight assemblies on my fusion titanium, and each costs about $1,800.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,131 Posts
When they order parts built like headlights from their suppliers, there are usually pre-production runs as well.

this may be a damaged or defective one of those pre-production test units, but good enough for a car that will probably be used for crash testing once the tour is over.

They better have worked out any issues. I have similar LED headlight assemblies on my fusion titanium, and each costs about $1,800.
Lots of folks are getting to see these cars in the rain. It would be worth checking to see if this is a problem on other cars as well. This was Infinite Blue license 081M886.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm just curious for those who actually went to one of the tour stops and got to see a "production" vehicle, did anything stand out for you?

Anything you didn't love? Or thought was different than it was?

Or is everyone pleased?
Pleased, plain and simple.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There's no button on the dash to open the rear hatch. It's buried in the on-screen menus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I asked this same question of my wife, she is a true petrol-head and is proud of it. She and I agree on the things I outline here.

Love the exterior design, just have two functional things:

First, we wish there was a little handle on the back doors like the front. People are very reluctant to put their fingers in the door-jam, its not intuitive like the front door.

Second, The front-trunk lid has to be closed with force to get past the double-latch mechanism. If you close it too softly, the first latch catches and is a pain to get closed all the way. So you have to fling it closed from no less than the 1-foot open position.

On the interior, we like the design. I can see the Mustang visual queues better in person. The way the doors mate to the dash is reminiscent of the Mustangs of the 1960’s. My wife, who has always driven foreign luxury cars of all types, was pleasantly surprised on how much she liked it. But there were short-comings.

The interior primary touch surfaces are nice, padded, textured, etc. However, there are secondary areas where the plastic is just average, like the inside of the center bin. Don’t get me wrong, its not rough-edged and I don’t think it will break under normal use, they just stand out next to the other materials.
Like on the dash, where the FE has diamond-plate aluminum inlays, there is just textured black-plastic on the other trims. It looks nice, but to the touch it seems out of place.

The Active-X material is okay, it tries its best to simulate soft-leather of a good chair. At first-touch it may pass as leather, but the surface grip is just too heavy. Outside of that, the seats are extremely comfortable, the rear-bench surprisingly so.

We also agree with earlier posts here, the storage cubbies, glove box, door pockets, etc, seem to be in the small side for a CUV/SUV. And the lack of hidden USB ports and no 110 outlet.

None of these issues would prevent me from choosing the Mach-E. I think there are way more positives to the design than there are negatives.

What I like best is: i can completely block-out the center screen and just get in and go. A new driver can sit down, adjust the mirrors and seats, start the vehicle and drive. No additional instructions on ‘how-to’ do anything, never touching the interface. This user experience will be adopted quicker by typical ICE drivers than that of the Model Y. My wife absolutely HATED the Tesla for this reason, and was glad that the MMe was not functionally the same.

all this is good, or the boss wouldn’t let me go through with the purchase. She is quick to point out that the purchase still hinges on her test drive, not mine.🙄
I also agree with you about not having door handles for the rear doors. I’ve never seen one in person, but have seen videos demonstrating how to open the front and rear doors. And the back doors don’t feel complete/polished without the door handles. I also saw someone else mentioning that the door was designed with kids in mind. I don’t have kids and other people who travel with me are adult family/friends. And I can just hear my sister now complaining about not having door handles in the back.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
876 Posts

I thought crash testing had to be done before cars are delivered to customers and a long time ago?

If the crash provides unsatisfactory results, does that mean production stops and corrections are made?

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
I thought crash testing had to be done before cars are delivered to customers and a long time ago?

If the crash provides unsatisfactory results, does that mean production stops and corrections are made?
I’m sure Ford has done their own crash tests, they have designed enough cars over the years. So they wouldn’t have srarted production if the vehicles were unsafe.
There are inspections prior to sale for ensuring that the required equipment and components are present (bumper height, light placement/angle, restraint systems, etc) but i heard that this is done many times by the manufacturer, and then the report submitted for approvals. It is my understanding that crash testing does not have to happen before vehicles are put for sale.
Crash testing is an expensive endeavor. Depending on the entity, three to five vehicles are destroyed. Some purchase as anonymous customers out of production runs, others the company has to supply cars.
If anyone is in the industry, please give us some confirmation of clarity on the topic.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I’m sure Ford has done their own crash tests, they have designed enough cars over the years. So they wouldn’t have srarted production if the vehicles were unsafe.
There are inspections prior to sale for ensuring that the required equipment and components are present (bumper height, light placement/angle, restraint systems, etc) but i heard that this is done many times by the manufacturer, and then the report submitted for approvals. It is my understanding that crash testing does not have to happen before vehicles are put for sale.
Crash testing is an expensive endeavor. Depending on the entity, three to five vehicles are destroyed. Some purchase as anonymous customers out of production runs, others the company has to supply cars.
If anyone is in the industry, please give us some confirmation of clarity on the topic.
Here is what I found from a short Google search:

"Every car available for sale in the U.S. must kiss the stationary barrier at speed, but those tests are performed internally by the automakers; the information does not have to be made public. All vehicles must meet minimum federal safety standards before hitting dealer lots. Automakers certify their cars as roadworthy for regulators using internal crash-test data, however. "
see: Nearly 400,000 Vehicles Are Sold Each Year In The U.S. With No Publicly Available Crash-Test Results

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
Here is what I found from a short Google search:

"Every car available for sale in the U.S. must kiss the stationary barrier at speed, but those tests are performed internally by the automakers; the information does not have to be made public. All vehicles must meet minimum federal safety standards before hitting dealer lots. Automakers certify their cars as roadworthy for regulators using internal crash-test data, however. "
see: Nearly 400,000 Vehicles Are Sold Each Year In The U.S. With No Publicly Available Crash-Test Results
Interesting find.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
No tow hook stub for attaching a license plate bracket. That little panel is to access the 12v cables to "jump" the vehicle enough to get in and open the Frunk.

·
Registered
71 Posts
"Every car available for sale in the U.S. must kiss the stationary barrier at speed, but those tests are performed internally by the automakers (...) Automakers certify their cars as roadworthy for regulators "
Well, if they let Boeing do that with planes, no wonder they'd let automakers do it with cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I attempted to voice some navigation instructions to the onboard navigation system. I did think the natural language capabilities of the new sync system, (while vastly better than on the new Subaru Outback,) were not as good as Android Auto.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hate cheap plastic gear switch and volume nob, although I did not see it in person, just pictures :) I am not a fan of glossy surfaces as well, especially outside.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
I hate cheap plastic gear switch and volume nob, although I did not see it in person, just pictures :) I am not a fan of glossy surfaces as well, especially outside.
The gear-switch knob feels okay, although many prefer a more standard shifter look. I prefer the knob over the tesla column-stalk toggle, though.

The volume knob is made of extremely light plastic. I can only assume to reduce the stress on the bonding to the glass surface. It could have been made to feel more substantial than it does. It is the only control that feels a bit on the cheap side.

Glossy black surfaces attract fingerprints and swirl-marks. So difficult to maintain. As bad as white-paint and tree sap in my book.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I am going to see the MME today at 2PM at my dealer.

What would forum members want clarification on?

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
I am going to see the MME today at 2PM at my dealer.

What would forum members want clarification on?

Just interested in your impressions. I hope you like it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just interested in your impressions. I hope you like it.
Should I drive over in my Edge Sport or my Mercedes for comparison?

Believe it or not, the FE is closer in price to my Mercedes than my Edge Sport!

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
Should I drive over in my Edge Sport or my Mercedes for comparison?

Believe it or not, the FE is closer in price to my Mercedes than my Edge Sport!
No comparisons needed. Just on its own merits, I guess.

·
Registered
2017, Chevy Bolt - Reserved 2021 Mustang Mach E Premier AWD Extended Range
30 Posts
Attended a private sales rep training event to view a Mustang Mach E premium AWD in Star White. The seats were very comfortable and I am used to Volvo quality seats so my standards are high. The driving position is very good and outward visibility is excellent. I thought the large center screen might be distracting but it is well placed. The interior fit and finish is of high quality. Everything fit well and was well designed.

The exterior build quality with panel gaps and body shape was pleasant at all angles.

I read the entire owners manual and all the features and options that we would expect are all included. Only missing feature would be a rear mirror with camera feed like I have in my Chevy Bolt. As well I wonder how cold at my head level, it will get with the glass roof when it is -20c in Ontario Canada.

I will change the all season tires to summer tires and buy a set of snow tires and wheels for this winter. The front Windows would look better with additional tinting which I think I will have added. Looking forward to my FE in Grabber Blue. Build date Dec 7th.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts