Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forbes released a survey where they asked 1000 people whether they'd prefer the Mach-E or the Tesla Model Y.

The results of the survey were pretty much even. 51 percent of respondents said they would choose the Mustang Mach-E, 49 percent said they would choose the Model Y.

Those who preferred the Ford cited reasons such as “prefer/trust Ford more” and “Ford’s established dealer and service network” and “concerns about Tesla’s future." Those who preferred Tesla cited things like “the Model Y’s expected performance” and “Tesla’s Supercharging network” or “dislike of the Ford brand.”

While it is a small sample size it's pretty remarkable how split people are already. It's also interesting to see what people's reasons are to pick one over the other. I agree with the people who are in favor of the Mach-E, Ford's existing dealer network is a huge plus for me compared to Tesla's.

Here's the full article:

The Tesla Model Y crossover is, by all appearances, set to become the hottest new EV in 2020.

But the Ford Mustang Mach-E electric crossover also appears to be a hot item. A single Ford dealer in SunnyVale, Calif. has racked up 100 reservations for the Mach E, according to a January 2 Detroit Free Press story.

And Ford has already sold out the 'First Edition' Mach-E. That’s a level of enthusiasm usually reserved for Tesla vehicles and underscores the latent demand for an alternative.

The rivalry also shows how far the EV market has come in the U.S. — Americans finally have a stylish alternative from a traditional Detroit carmaker to the gadgets-on-wheels from Silicon-Valley-based Tesla.

Ford says it will make about 50,000 of the crossover EVs during the first year of production.

“I like the idea of a Tesla but I don't trust Tesla.” - Mach-E reservation holder, Detroit Free Press, January 2, 2020

The Mach-E ranges from about $44,000 to over $60,000 with the driving range maxing out at about 300 miles.

And the sweet spot for the two EVs shows the cars pretty evenly matched on key metrics though Tesla gets the nod on price.

David Undercoffler, a Forbes Contributor and Editor-in-Chief of Autolist.com, came up with some interesting results in a survey Autolist.com did of about 1,000 people.

“The results were essentially a draw: 51 percent of respondents said they would choose the Mustang Mach-E, 49 percent said they would choose the Model Y,” Undercoffler wrote in a November 22 post.

Those who preferred the Ford cited reasons such as “prefer/trust Ford more” and “Ford’s established dealer and service network” and “concerns about Tesla’s future.”

Those who preferred Tesla cited things like “the Model Y’s expected performance” and “Tesla’s Supercharging network” or “dislike of the Ford brand.”

However the rivalry shakes out in 2020 and 2021, Ford is going right after the Model Y with the Mach-E and isn’t pussyfooting around with anything like the half-baked compliance EVs it sold for years.

"Ford, instead of sticking its toe in the pool, jumped completely into the deep end. Tesla has owned the market...So Ford's going at 'em,” Matt Stanford, general manager at Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor, Michigan told the Detroit Free Press.

Stanford said he has 70 orders for the Mach-E already.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Interesting, I just saw the map below.

It shows which States tweet more about the model Y vs the Mach-E. It's based off geo-tagged Tweets.

Do you think Ford is winning the battle in your State?

Or... is the Mach-E the only reason people are talking about the Model Y.... lol

mustang mach e vs tesla model y twitter data

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting, I just saw the map below.

It shows which States tweet more about the model Y vs the Mach-E. It's based off geo-tagged Tweets.

Do you think Ford is winning the battle in your State?

Or... is the Mach-E the only reason people are talking about the Model Y.... lol
No surprise that Tesla has California and Ford has Michigan. Looking at the map, most states fall where you would expect them to. Midwest dominated by Ford and states with typically higher cost of living by Tesla.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ford introducing an attention getting entrant into the BEV market got my attention. Ford may not be my daddy's Ford anymore. And my father was true blue all his life. I love to see the information coming out from sources other than just Ford.

I saw two white Model 3's driving down Commercial Avenue in Anacortes last week. I can hardly wait to join the parade in my GT, maybe by the 4th in 2021?

·
Registered
185 Posts
That roughly fits what I would expect, with only a few surprises (like MA). I actually find it great news for Ford and the Mach-e that's it's beating Tesla hype, which is inherently large. For Ford to have "caught up" to Tesla hype on a competing BEV is very impressive. And it may even be better than that, as I suspect Tesla fans/customers are probably more likely to use Twitter than Ford fans/customers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It’s a shame that so many people discount Ford’s quality and capabilities. I have always been happy with their products, and I cannot wait to get my Mach E!

·
Registered
185 Posts
It’s a shame that so many people discount Ford’s quality and capabilities. I have always been happy with their products, and I cannot wait to get my Mach E!
Particularly their trucks and SUVs. I've always considered them the best overall (within the mainstream vehicle class).

Can't really say that about their sedans though. Many of them fell short, and were frequent maintenance nightmares through like the 80's/90's. I'm sure some models were better than others but the general rule was if you wanted a truck or SUV, buy American (especially Ford), and if you wanted a sedan, buy foreign.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know we will be seeing more blue when Ford launches the baby Mach-E SUV. Tesla just has the advantage of being first, for now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No surprise that Tesla has California and Ford has Michigan. Looking at the map, most states fall where you would expect them to. Midwest dominated by Ford and states with typically higher cost of living by Tesla.
The one thing that does surprise me a bit is that Tesla has Texas, I thought for sure they'd be with Ford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That roughly fits what I would expect, with only a few surprises (like MA). I actually find it great news for Ford and the Mach-e that's it's beating Tesla hype, which is inherently large. For Ford to have "caught up" to Tesla hype on a competing BEV is very impressive. And it may even be better than that, as I suspect Tesla fans/customers are probably more likely to use Twitter than Ford fans/customers.
I strongly question how good these surveys are. That "twitter" map is particularly unreliable. As a Massachusetts resident, I see more Teslas on the road than I do Ford SUVs. And what's up with Nevada being more pro-Ford than pro-Tesla, with it hosting the Tesla Gigafactory near Reno with 7000 employees? Highly doubtful.

We owned a 1992 Ford Explorer, which is by far the worst vehicle we'e ever owned in 40 years of car ownership; we vowed never to buy another Ford. The only thing that could make me look at Ford again is the subject of this forum: the Mach-E (and any other BEV that Ford might produce in the future). Not impressed with Ford's ICEVs, but I'm willing to give Ford another chance with no ICE system involved.

As for Mach-E vs. Tesla Y -- I don't like Teslas, and I don't like the look that Mach-E has copied from the Model 3 with the computer tablet tackily "glued on" to the dashboard. (The Model S more nicely embeds the computer screen into the dashboard, curiously, as do many other BEV automakers.) There aren't many SUV BEVs to choose from, but coming out about the same time this year as the Model Y and Mach-E is the Volvo XC40 Recharge, and that may be a big challenger. As far as I can see for SUV BEVs, it's just those three under about $60k in MSRP for the coming year (the I-Pace is more expensive, as is the e-tron Sportback, if they can be counted as crossover SUVs). And the XC40 lacks the tacky "tablet glued to dashboard" that the Mach-E and Model Y have, with its computer screen embedded along the lines of current Volvos.

So while I'm keenly interested in the Mach-E, and will continue to follow news surrounding it (I've been on the other Mach-E forum since November -- only learning of this forum today), I would more likely to choose the XC40 over the Mach-E at this stage -- although I am more interested in wagon-like vehicles so may wait another year or two to buy my first BEV. As for SUV/crossover BEVs, the Polestar 3, Macan BEV, much-larger Rivian SUV, and forthcoming BEV and PHEV offerings from numerous other automakers will make the next 2-3 years very interesting indeed. Kudos to Ford for coming out so early in the game with a crossover-SUV BEV that looks very cool and has a great name. (Names like I-Pace and e-tron are just absurd, by comparison.)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Twitter maps are anecdotal at best. But they do give some hint of what people are talking about. I'd take em with a grain of salt.

Most of the population of NV is in the south around Vegas, not up north around Reno (where the gigafactory is), so I can kinda see that going either way.

The XC40 looks very intriguing to me too. Could be a strong contender to the Mach-e and Model Y in the semi-upscale BEV crossover market. There are more economy crossover BEVs out there, like the Bolt, Kona, eNiro, etc. Can walk off the lot today with a good deal on a Bolt ($8500 manufacture discount in January). Around $30,000 for a 259 mile range BEV. But of course it's a cheaper build and quality than we expect from the $50k+ Mach-e, Y, and XC40.

In some ways I like the design of the XC40 best. It's closer to a real SUV than the other two. The Y still looks like a sedan to me rather than an SUV or crossover. The Mach-e is kinda in between, thanks to that ingenious black roof protrusion raising the roof near the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Twitter maps are anecdotal at best. But they do give some hint of what people are talking about. I'd take em with a grain of salt.

Most of the population of NV is in the south around Vegas, not up north around Reno (where the gigafactory is), so I can kinda see that going either way.

The XC40 looks very intriguing to me too. Could be a strong contender to the Mach-e and Model Y in the semi-upscale BEV crossover market. There are more economy crossover BEVs out there, like the Bolt, Kona, eNiro, etc. Can walk off the lot today with a good deal on a Bolt ($8500 manufacture discount in January). Around $30,000 for a 259 mile range BEV. But of course it's a cheaper build and quality than we expect from the $50k+ Mach-e, Y, and XC40.

In some ways I like the design of the XC40 best. It's closer to a real SUV than the other two. The Y still looks like a sedan to me rather than an SUV or crossover. The Mach-e is kinda in between, thanks to that ingenious black roof protrusion raising the roof near the back.
Yes, you lose both build quality and features in the cheaper BEVs like the Nissan, Chevy, Kia, Honda, etc., offerings -- which makes Ford's entry with the Mach-E all the more interesting (as Ford isn't know as a luxury automaker outside of the Lincoln line). But you also lose looks and cargo space with those cheaper vehicles, also (as most of them are just odd-looking small sedans/hatchbacks). There is also the Hyundai Kona Electric -- forgot about that one, but I think it's smaller than the Mach-E, and not nearly as attractive to my eye.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts