Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FORD AND MOBILEYE EXPAND RELATIONSHIP TO OFFER BETTER CAMERA-BASED COLLISION AVOIDANCE IN GLOBAL VEHICLES
JUL 20, 2020 | DEARBORN, MICH.

• Ford and Mobileye, an Intel company, are expanding their relationship to offer even better camera-based detection capabilities for driver-assist systems, including improved forward collision warning, vehicle, pedestrian and cyclist detection, plus lane-keeping features
  • Mobileye will provide its suite of EyeQ® sensing technology to support available Ford Co-Pilot360™ Technology driver-assist features such as Lane-Keeping System, Auto High-Beam headlamps, Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking and Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go and Lane Centering
  • Ford will display Mobileye’s name in vehicles through the inclusion of its logo in the automaker’s SYNC® driver-assist communication displays, making customers aware that some Ford Co-Pilot360 Technology features use sensing capabilities provided by Mobileye
DEARBORN, Mich., July 20, 2020 – Ford Motor Company and Mobileye, an Intel company, are collaborating on cutting-edge driver-assistance systems across Ford’s global product lineup.

“Providing people with extra confidence while driving is invaluable, and it’s exactly what our available Ford Co-Pilot360™features are designed to do,” said Lisa Drake, chief operating officer, North America; vice president, Global Purchasing, Ford Motor Company. “By customizing Mobileye’s excellent software and sensing technology, Ford’s great driver-assist features will continue to evolve and provide customers with confidence on the road throughout the life of their vehicles.”

As chosen supplier of vision-sensing technology for Ford advanced driver-assistance systems, Mobileye will provide its EyeQ®family of devices, together with vision-processing software to support Level 1 and Level 2 driver-assistance systems in Ford vehicles globally.

Level 1 systems are defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers as automating a single part of the driving experience, such as steering or acceleration/deceleration, while Level 2 systems provide both steering and acceleration/braking support. Both require drivers to supervise performance of the vehicle.

Ford will bring Mobileye’s name front and center through the inclusion of its logo in the company’s SYNC® driver-assist displays. For the first time, customers will be made aware that Ford is building the power of some Ford Co-Pilot360 Technology features on top of the sensing capabilities provided by Mobileye.

“It is a privilege to extend and expand our long-standing collaboration with a company that is so committed to safety on behalf of its global customer base,” said Professor Amnon Shashua, president and CEO, Mobileye. “We look forward to working closely together to bring these functionalities to market in the full Ford product lineup.”

As part of the high-volume agreement, new production vehicles will use Mobileye’s EyeQ computer chips and software to support features under the Ford Co-Pilot360 Technology. Used to help precisely identify what the windshield camera in a vehicle can see – including lane markings, traffic signs, pedestrians and other vehicles – Mobileye’s technology will support features such as Lane-Keeping System, Auto High-Beam headlamps, Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking and Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control, as well as Active Drive Assist hands-free driving coming to the all-new Mustang Mach-E and all-new F-150.

Ford will take advantage of Mobileye’s technology throughout the life of its next-generation production vehicles, including F-150 and Mustang Mach-E, as well as future products that offer advanced driver-assistance systems features.

While Ford and Mobileye have worked together for years, this marks the first time Ford is committing to the company’s technology for the entire lifecycle of its next-generation vehicles. Both parties will work with designated Ford Tier 1 providers to supply the technology for vehicle integration.

Additionally, Ford is evaluating the use of Roadbook in its vehicles. Roadbook uses anonymized, crowd-sourced data from vehicle cameras to build a high-definition map that can be accessed by vehicles and leveraged by driver-assist technology, including hands-free driving features like available Active Drive Assist.

New production Ford vehicles will use Mobileye’s EyeQ3 and EyeQ4 for Level 1 and Level 2 advanced driver-assistance systems platforms. The EyeQ family is set apart from the competition by its ability to support complex and computationally intense vision processing while maintaining low power consumption even when located on the windshield of a vehicle. Building on the capabilities of its predecessors, EyeQ4 can process multiple sensors and other inputs required for driver-assist features.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Man I am so ready for L4 Autonomous driving but I don't think the legislation will keep up with technology advancements.
I think it's got the real potential to disrupt travel. Take for example... someone in Manhattan who's got a business trip to Boston. Today, they take an Uber to Penn station or Laguardia, get on a plane or train to Logan or South Station, then Uber to Back bay or whatever. With L4 Autonomous driving, they just get in the passenger seat outside their office, work or watch a movie along the way and get to their destination generally faster than with Acela or the short flight. Trips to Philadelphia would be similar.
I can tell my car to go pick up the grandparents for Thanksgiving Dinner. or the grandparents can nap on the way to Winter in Florida.... I'll probably be the grandparent when this becomes reality though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Man I am so ready for L4 Autonomous driving but I don't think the legislation will keep up with technology advancements.
I think it's got the real potential to disrupt travel. Take for example... someone in Manhattan who's got a business trip to Boston. Today, they take an Uber to Penn station or Laguardia, get on a plane or train to Logan or South Station, then Uber to Back bay or whatever. With L4 Autonomous driving, they just get in the passenger seat outside their office, work or watch a movie along the way and get to their destination generally faster than with Acela or the short flight. Trips to Philadelphia would be similar.
I can tell my car to go pick up the grandparents for Thanksgiving Dinner. or the grandparents can nap on the way to Winter in Florida.... I'll probably be the grandparent when this becomes reality though.
That's why some people predict autonomous cars will actual increase traffic conjestion, not decrease it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's why some people predict autonomous cars will actual increase traffic conjestion, not decrease it.
Yep... for a bit... but I do believe there are solutions to the congestion, particularly on well traveled corridors. Like the cars communicating and coordinating the drive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here is an unedited, 40-minute video of the latest MobilEye tech in use. I think its truly amazing!

Just to add that the test happened in Israel, the very complicated and super dense place to drive, with very aggressive drivers (I lived there for 20 years, I know :). So it makes it even more amazing!

One concern - if Ford announced this partnership just now, a couple of months before releasing Mach-e - how the hell they are going to incorporate this technology?

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Just to add that the test happened in Israel, the very complicated and super dense place to drive, with very aggressive drivers (I lived there for 20 years, I know :). So it makes it even more amazing!

One concern - if Ford announced this partnership just now, a couple of months before releasing Mach-e - how the hell they are going to incorporate this technology?
They have been partnering for years. Ford just committed to an exclusive, multi-year deal for the lifecycle of all its new vehicles. This give them access to the software you see in the vehicle, and the Roadbook crowdsourcing mapping system.
This is a good sign for the Active Driver Assist being released Q3 next year.
And, thanks to OtA, all the CoPilot360 features can get new features added as the MobilEye system evolves.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They have been partnering for years. Ford just committed to an exclusive, multi-year deal for the lifecycle of all its new vehicles. This give them access to the software you see in the vehicle, and the Roadbook crowdsourcing mapping system.
And, thanks to OtA, all the CoPilot360 features can get new features added as the MobilEye system evolves.
Well, as far as I was told by the NVIDIA engineer (the MobilEye competitor in this case) - they also have plenty of movies like this. However, he mentioned that only Mercedes (uses NVIDIA) and Tesla install L4/L5 hardware into their cars that will allow such driving. MobilEye installs eyeQ4 , so up to L3 will be supported by hardware.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
I'm sold quite a Vid.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Well, as far as I was told by the NVIDIA engineer (the MobilEye competitor in this case) - they also have plenty of movies like this. However, he mentioned that only Mercedes (uses NVIDIA) and Tesla install L4/L5 hardware into their cars that will allow such driving. MobilEye installs eyeQ4 , so up to L3 will be supported by hardware.
Hmmm, Nowhere in this video does MobilEye claim L4/L5 capability on the vehicle driving. There is an alert driver behind the wheel at all times. They do mention future systems using redundant optical and lidar/radar systems to reach L4.

The MMe hardware functional level was always stated to be L3 max, although L2.5 is the highest level most automakers (including Ford) will implement because driver distraction and reaction time are severely diminished at L3 operation.

It is proven at L3 that the drivers may not be in a ready state to assume control in an emergency situation. Meaning L3 will result in more accidents than L2.5, which requires driver attention at all times.

So, L3 will be skipped by most and they will go straight to L4/L5. I don’t know Tesla’s stance on L3.

Tesla is currently at functional level 2.5. It is years away from their software being ready for L4, and even further for regulatory approval on public streets. Tesla owners are paying for hardware they may never get to fully take advantage of in the lifespan of their vehicle. Plus, exorbitant pricing for beta software. But, that’s their prerogative.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
746 Posts
Tesla is currently at functional level 2.5. It is years away from their software being ready for L4, and even further for regulatory approval on public streets. Tesla owners are paying for hardware they may never get to fully take advantage of in the lifespan of their vehicle. Plus, exorbitant pricing for beta software. But, that’s their prerogative.
Never understood paying $8,000 for something at best is 3 to 5 years away and probably available after you have sold or traded in your car.

Even CR, when reporting on the Model Y, paid $8,000 extra for this capability which they admit is not available and may not be available for many years.

Like you I just do not get it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do we know what autonomous driving hardware is going to be available on MME ? How many cameras, Lidar, etc. ? I am a little concerned that Ford is partnering with another company for software and may depend on it for future support. It just says multi-year. What will happen 10 or 20 years from the date we purchase, or when traffic laws change ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Never understood paying $8,000 for something at best is 3 to 5 years away and probably available after you have sold or traded in your car.

Even CR, when reporting on the Model Y, paid $8,000 extra for this capability which they admit is not available and may not be available for many years.

Like you I just do not get it!

If your talking about Tesla, there are additional features you get with the money. So its not like you pay the $8K and then you get nothing for it.
The "Full Self-Driving Capability" is what you get for the $8K.
Autopilot Included
  • Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.

Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
  • Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: assisted stops at traffic controlled intersections.
Upcoming:
  • Autosteer on city streets.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
If your talking about Tesla, there are additional features you get with the money. So its not like you pay the $8K and then you get nothing for it.
The "Full Self-Driving Capability" is what you get for the $8K.
We were discussing L4 capability, true full self-driving, not what Tesla brands their ADAS. where you can sit and take a nap, and L5, where there doesn’t even need to be a steering wheel.
It will be approximately 3-4 years (or more) for the software to mature to that level, and a few more years for regulatory approvals.
By then, how many of 2020 and older Tesla’s will be on the road in 8 years? Or, What if Tesla decides to go the route of L4 using lidar for redundancy, thus rendering the camera-only approach obsolete? Or, regulators require such a redundancy? Or they throw a curveball and mandate any L4/L5 must use V2x or similar tech?

As stated, Tesla currently has L2.5 functionality. Some of the more advanced functions are still beta software. To me, $8k is a steep price tag at the capability offered, and for capability promised that may not be possible with the cars as built.

Just my opinion on the topic.

Reactions: JTK44

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Do we know what autonomous driving hardware is going to be available on MME ? How many cameras, Lidar, etc. ? I am a little concerned that Ford is partnering with another company for SW and may depend on it for future support. It just says multi-year. What will happen 10 or 20 years from the date we purchase, or when traffic laws change ?
360 cameras, radar/sonar. No lidar that i am aware of, that’s pretty expensive right now.
The company MobilEye is a division of Intel. They will be around for quite some time. I assume at least 10 years of support from Ford, but who knows.

This is a very good question. If we have another Q&A with Ford, we should ask it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We were discussing L4 capability, true full self-driving, not what Tesla brands their ADAS. where you can sit and take a nap, and L5, where there doesn’t even need to be a steering wheel.
It will be approximately 3-4 years (or more) for the software to mature to that level, and a few more years for regulatory approvals.
By then, how many of 2020 and older Tesla’s will be on the road in 8 years? Or, What if Tesla decides to go the route of L4 using lidar for redundancy, thus rendering the camera-only approach obsolete? Or, regulators require such a redundancy? Or they throw a curveball and mandate any L4/L5 must use V2x or similar tech?

As stated, Tesla currently has L2.5 functionality. Some of the more advanced functions are still beta software. To me, $8k is a steep price tag at the capability offered, and for capability promised that may not be possible with the cars as built.

Just my opinion on the topic.
Tesla is many years away from L5 in my opinion. At least a decade. I was just providing information that the $8K isn't just this mythical full self-driving but also other features you can get now.

·
Registered
374 Posts
360 cameras, radar/sonar. No lidar that i am aware of, that’s pretty expensive right now.
The company MobilEye is a division of Intel. They will be around for quite some time. I assume at least 10 years of support from Ford, but who knows.

This is a very good question. If we have another Q&A with Ford, we should ask it.
Ford partners with third party suppliers all the time. They just don't usually announce the agreements, and perhaps they don't usually commit to the same partner for the whole length of a product lifecycle. I might be wrong, but I interpret product lifecycle to be the multiple model years of MME until the "all-new" refresh model hits several years from now.

Mobileye is not the only ADAS vendor that Ford is using in MME. It's just the only one they've agreed to publicly announce.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts