Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford CEO Jim Farley shared some new info on the Mustang Mach-E in a recent interview:

In a recent statement to the Detroit Free Press, the Ford CEO stated that the Mach-E is the first “true” competitor for Tesla’s electric cars. That’s not all, either, as Farley noted that the Mach-E would have an advantage over its California-made competitor. “The vehicle is a game-changer. For me, the Mach-E is the first true competitor with Tesla. It’s got Detroit swagger. It’s a Mustang. Tesla is not a Mustang,” Farley remarked.

Farley also noted that the Mach-E would feature technology that’s more intuitive and less complicated than what Tesla offers in its vehicles. The CEO took a particular focus on the Mach-E’s controls, which feature a blend of Tesla-esque touchscreen features, traditional buttons, and interestingly enough, a physical knob fitted in the center display. These, according to Farley, will offer drivers an experience that is as familiar and safe as it is convenient.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
89 Posts
I'm not necessarily sure I agree with this, but I get why they're hyping up that knob, because I'm sure it was expensive.

The knob in the screen would be much more useful to me as a fan speed or temperature knob than its current use as a volume knob. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used my Tesla's (or my prior cars') center screen to adjust the volume - zero. There are steering wheel controls for volume. I'd love to see the customer clinic data on "what should the knob be for" because everyone I've talked to in person says they always use the steering wheel buttons as well.

The only control I really see as difficult in the Tesla is adjusting the airflow to get it exactly where you want it, and that's because they have electrically adjustable vents - and the Mach-E doesn't, so that won't be an issue anyway.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not necessarily sure I agree with this, but I get why they're hyping up that knob, because I'm sure it was expensive.

The knob in the screen would be much more useful to me as a fan speed or temperature knob than its current use as a volume knob. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used my Tesla's (or my prior cars') center screen to adjust the volume - zero. There are steering wheel controls for volume. I'd love to see the customer clinic data on "what should the knob be for" because everyone I've talked to in person says they always use the steering wheel buttons as well.

The only control I really see as difficult in the Tesla is adjusting the airflow to get it exactly where you want it, and that's because they have electrically adjustable vents - and the Mach-E doesn't, so that won't be an issue anyway.
Not only is the knob useless but it eats into the infotainment screen. I hate it.
mustang-mach-e-knob.jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not only is the knob useless but it eats into the infotainment screen. I hate it.
View attachment 2911
I'd certainly rather not have it. I don't see it adding any value at the moment as all they've shown it doing is volume, which again, nobody needs the knob for when there's steering wheel controls and as you note, it just eats into screen real estate.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Personally, I don’t mind the knob, but i wish it were contextual and changed to the function you are accessing: fan, temp, vol, tune, etc.

I do like the fact that the MMe has individual controls to adjust the seats, mirrors, airflow, cruise control/lane centering, media controls, wipers, glove-box opening, etc. There is practically a zero learning-curve for any ICE driver sitting behind the wheel. I’ve posted before, any ICE driver can get in, adjust the car to their driving position, and pull away without ever touching the center screen. It is a completely familiar environment.

I think this is what Jim Farley is referring to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd certainly rather not have it. I don't see it adding any value at the moment as all they've shown it doing is volume, which again, nobody needs the knob for when there's steering wheel controls and as you note, it just eats into screen real estate.
I need knob for volume :) I don't like clicking the volume buttons on steering wheel. But I don't see the point in placing a knob inside the display, eating up screen real estate and possibly also making the display expensive. I also don't know why the knob cannot act as multifunction, for volume and AC.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I need knob for volume :) I don't like clicking the volume buttons on steering wheel. But I don't see the point in placing a knob inside the display, eating up screen real estate and possibly also making the display expensive. I also don't know why the knob cannot act as multifunction, for volume and AC.
That is actually one of the things I like on the Tesla steering wheel - the volume is a thumb wheel so you can make big adjustments very quickly if needed by flicking it. Same for cruise control. I wish Ford did that for the cruise +/- and volume +/- instead of buttons, but I like that there are more controls on the Ford wheel.

Definitely hoping the knob becomes multifunction over time via update.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I always use steering wheel controls except on my Alfa, where the volume knob was right where I rested my hand. So I suppose its usefulness depends on how I sit in the car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like the idea of a big knob that I can grab by feel for volume. There are too many buttons already on my MKX steering wheel and I don't need my big thumbs feeling around all the buttons on the steering wheel until I can find the right one for volume.
The MME volume button is bonded to the screen so anything that can be done by swiping a touch screen could be added. If fact Ford has said that they intend to add more features to the button with OTA updates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts