Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
September of 2020 placed reservation on Mach e GT. * April 2021 reservation changed to Purchase Order. * Now delivery scheduled for October 11, 2021 and Malloy Ford of Alexandria, Virginia calls to tell me that a “dealer markup of $3,500” will be added to the $61K price on the order and I should be happy because others have paid as much as $10,000 markup.
Voicing my disappointment to the manager he told me that my order that I waited for over a year will be canceled.
* This is the best way for Ford to drive buyers into Elon Musk’s arms. Model Y is starting to look better now.
Do the majority of Mach e buyers have similar experiences?
Ford Marketing says that they have no control over the dealers and these are free to charge whatever they want. :(

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
September of 2020 placed reservation on Mach e GT. * April 2021 reservation changed to Purchase Order. * Now delivery scheduled for October 11, 2021 and Malloy Ford of Alexandria, Virginia calls to tell me that a “dealer markup of $3,500” will be added to the $61K price on the order and I should be happy because others have paid as much as $10,000 markup.
Voicing my disappointment to the manager he told me that my order that I waited for over a year will be canceled.
* This is the best way for Ford to drive buyers into Elon Musk’s arms. Model Y is starting to look better now.
Ford Marketing says that they have no control over the dealers and these are free to charge whatever they want. :(
Ford isn't the one charging the markup. It's individual dealers. I'd say it's extremely shady for a dealer to do that on an ordered car That's just down to being a crappy dealer. They don't have control over what a dealer does, they're independent businessmen. For instance, when I ordered my car, it clearly listed on the online order a "dealer selling price" including a $5k markup. I immediately spoke with dealer GM and he agreed in writing to msrp and xplan. At this stage for your dealer to add ADM is just bad business.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ford has to change its sales model if it has any hopes to compete and outperform Tesla. The old paradigm of browbeating the buyer into submission doesn’t fare well in the 21st century. I am sure that there are a few reputable dealers out there that would respect the purchase order price once it is placed. I just have to find one, but it may prove very difficult. I don’t know that I can wait another year though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, in addition to the dealer my beef is with Ford as well for not announcing a disclaimer in large bold print at the time of making the reservation and when that is switched to a purchase order that “the price that you will pay may change as each dealer is independently owner and they don’t have any control of the price that these will charge you on delivery.” The goal is to pray on the buyers anxiety to get the car after a very long wait who would pay whatever to get it home. The old “bite and switch” technique.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,711 Posts
Not only does Ford not have any control over dealer pricing, many State legislatures have passed "sweetheart laws" requiring vehicles to be sold only by retail dealers. Musk recently cut a deal to place a service center on an Arizona Tribal reservation to get around the dealer mandate. Keep in mind that many Tesla buyers have to go over State lines to take delivery from the Tesla centers.
At an EV event Saturday I warned people that before committing to a dealer get in writing that they will honor MSRP and any discount plans that the buyer is eligible to receive. When my on-line reservation was changed to an order Gaudin Ford of Las Vegas added a $5,000 ADM to the on-line Ford site "suggested MSRP". I switched to Friendly Ford of LV at no ADM and got the X-Plan.
As has been often said, "What is something worth"? "Whatever someone is will to pay to get it". As long as buyers are willing to essentially "overspend" by paying ADM, the dealers will continue to require it on a high demand vehicle.
PS Lightning and Hybrid Maverick buyers beware your turn is coming.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Not only does Ford not have any control over dealer pricing, many State legislatures have passed "sweetheart laws" requiring vehicles to be sold only by retail dealers. Musk recently cut a deal to place a service center on an Arizona Tribal reservation to get around the dealer mandate. Keep in mind that many Tesla buyers have to go over State lines to take delivery from the Tesla centers.
At an EV event Saturday I warned people that before committing to a dealer get in writing that they will honor MSRP and any discount plans that the buyer is eligible to receive. When my on-line reservation was changed to an order Gaudin Ford of Las Vegas added a $5,000 ADM to the on-line Ford site "suggested MSRP". I switched to Friendly Ford of LV at no ADM and got the X-Plan.
As has been often said, "What is something worth"? "Whatever someone is will to pay to get it". As long as buyers are willing to essentially "overspend" by paying ADM, the dealers will continue to require it on a high demand vehicle.
PS Lightning and Hybrid Maverick buyers beware your turn is coming.
Research is crucial. When I originally online ordered the summary showed "dealer selling price" $5k higher than msrp. I immediately spoke with the gm and he committed in writing to MSRP and xplan, so this was no issue. Staff at dealerships can change, so getting something in writing at least gives you proof. I have to say tho, for a dealer, months after ordering to spring that on the OP is shady at best. Maybe legally they can do it, but certainly ethically no.

This is just in the EV arena, and in demand vehicle the same things apply

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my purchase order at Ford.com, under Pricing Summary, the last line item is the Dealer Selling Price of $61,000 and an “E19” link next to that label. Upon clicking the E19 link the following narrative expands:

“Dealer Selling Price: Price the dealer is willing to sell the vehicle for in a purchase transaction and corresponds to the estimated dealer selling price for the vehicle displayed in the Pricing Summary. Excludes available incentives (including AXZ-Plans Pricing for qualified customers), governmental taxes and fees, title or registration fees. All current available incentives (including AXZ-Plans Pricing), taxes and fees will be applied at purchase. See dealer for details, residency restrictions may apply.”.

In that statement from Ford Motors there is no mention of “dealer markup” nor any other bogus fee. Just the normal fees that one expects to pay when buying a new car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also, in addition to the dealer my beef is with Ford as well for not announcing a disclaimer in large bold print at the time of making the reservation and when that is switched to a purchase order that “the price that you will pay may change as each dealer is independently owner and they don’t have any control of the price that these will charge you on delivery.” The goal is to pray on the buyers anxiety to get the car after a very long wait who would pay whatever to get it home. The old “bite and switch” technique.
Why doesn't Ford state the dealer must send in writing the purchase price no less then 60 days after order or once a production date is identified. Then no surprise.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
In my purchase order at Ford.com, under Pricing Summary, the last line item is the Dealer Selling Price of $61,000 and an “E19” link next to that label. Upon clicking the E19 link the following narrative expands:

“Dealer Selling Price: Price the dealer is willing to sell the vehicle for in a purchase transaction and corresponds to the estimated dealer selling price for the vehicle displayed in the Pricing Summary. Excludes available incentives (including AXZ-Plans Pricing for qualified customers), governmental taxes and fees, title or registration fees. All current available incentives (including AXZ-Plans Pricing), taxes and fees will be applied at purchase. See dealer for details, residency restrictions may apply.”.

In that statement from Ford Motors there is no mention of “dealer markup” nor any other bogus fee. Just the normal fees that one expects to pay when buying a new car.
"Dealer Selling Price" is easy to see that it's ADM. The summary lists two prices the MSRP summary and the "dealer selling price" ideally they're the same, but not always. It clearly notes the $5k . difference. Here's the one for mine, which incidentally I didn't pay

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tesla did the exact same thing to me, I placed an order last December for a Model-S. I asked if they did a redesign/refresh would the honor the pricing, they said yes -verbally, which was my mistake. Two months later they did “refresh” with a $10K markup. They called me up and they said they had a great deal for me, since I put a deposit down they’d only mark my car up 8k. I told them that was not what they said when I asked the question in December. They said they felt no obligation to honor that pricing . I told them to keep their car, their Tesla roof (deposit on that) and their powerwalls.

I ended up getting a MME, other solar panels and batteries for my house for less than the Model-S would have cost me. My panels are more efficient and my solar inverter has more features than Tesla’s products and for much less money.

When I test drove the Tesla they gave me a car to drive with a 1 inch crack in the sunroof and the passenger door panel cover was falling off because it was never installed properly. I’m very happy the deal fell through.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,711 Posts
Tesla did the exact same thing to me, I placed an order last December for a Model-S. I asked if they did a redesign/refresh would the honor the pricing, they said yes -verbally, which was my mistake. Two months later they did “refresh” with a $10K markup. They called me up and they said they had a great deal for me, since I put a deposit down they’d only mark my car up 8k. I told them that was not what they said when I asked the question in December. They said they felt no obligation to honor that pricing . I told them to keep their car, their Tesla roof (deposit on that) and their powerwalls.

I ended up getting a MME, other solar panels and batteries for my house for less than the Model-S would have cost me. My panels are more efficient and my solar inverter has more features than Tesla’s products and for much less money.

When I test drove the Tesla they gave me a car to drive with a 1 inch crack in the sunroof and the passenger door panel cover was falling off because it was never installed properly. I’m very happy the deal fell through.
As I've posted several times, "It's great to have a choice" Congratulations

·
Registered
1 Posts
Local dealership has a Mach-E premium that they've been using for test drives only. I'd test driven it twice. They're able to sell it now with 2,000 miles on it (after the windshield and panoramic roof are fixed via the recall) and won't budge on their $10K mark up. I could order a new one through them, but it'll have the same mark up. Glad I put a deposit on a Model Y in August...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Local dealership has a Mach-E premium that they've been using for test drives only. I'd test driven it twice. They're able to sell it now with 2,000 miles on it (after the windshield and panoramic roof are fixed via the recall) and won't budge on their $10K mark up. I could order a new one through them, but it'll have the same mark up. Glad I put a deposit on a Model Y in August...
I've never paid over msrp and can't imagine doing so.
Curious on the model y, will they hold to the price at the time in august, as I believe they just had a pretty decent bump in price on all models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently made a deal for a "mannequin" Mach E. Before I drove to see it, they did mention $5k markup, but negotiable. It was about a 2 hour drive for me to get to the dealer. We settled on $3800 over MSRP, but they included a Ford Connected Charging Station in the deal. I had to wait for them to get approval from Ford, as it only has 1600 miles. In the meantime, I found out that although they assured me it would come with a full warranty, it does not. The warranty started in March, so I'd be losing 8 months. They were going to get something in writing from Ford corporate stating a full warranty. However, I was on my way to pick it up Monday, they called and said they can't deliver until the saftey recalls are fixed. They also mentioned the warranty had been extended to 4yr/42k mile Ford PremiumCare. In other words, without admitting they were wrong about the warranty, they were trying to make it right to what they promised.

So, I don't feel too bad about the markup at this point.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The market is what a buyer is willing to pay. If the MachE were sitting on the lots, as they were back in May here in the Northeast, there were no dealer markups. Dealers were more than willing to accept MSRP.

I think those that are paying an ADM now will surely regret it in a few years. Once supply and demand balances, I cannot imagine anyone paying over MSRP. When it comes time to sell and/or trade none of the ADM you are now paying will be reflected in your trade in value and/or resale value. That ADM will be lost. Your cost of ownership will have been increased by the ADM.

Even if you have in writing a sales price of MSRP less X-Plan, if the dealer at the time of sale refuses to honor the contract, your only recourse is to sue him: that is time consuming and very expensive - and most of us have better things to do.

Unless you are desperate for a new vehicle, this is the time to continue driving what you have and wait.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I recently made a deal for a "mannequin" Mach E. Before I drove to see it, they did mention $5k markup, but negotiable. It was about a 2 hour drive for me to get to the dealer. We settled on $3800 over MSRP, but they included a Ford Connected Charging Station in the deal. I had to wait for them to get approval from Ford, as it only has 1600 miles. In the meantime, I found out that although they assured me it would come with a full warranty, it does not. The warranty started in March, so I'd be losing 8 months. They were going to get something in writing from Ford corporate stating a full warranty. However, I was on my way to pick it up Monday, they called and said they can't deliver until the saftey recalls are fixed. They also mentioned the warranty had been extended to 4yr/42k mile Ford PremiumCare. In other words, without admitting they were wrong about the warranty, they were trying to make it right to what they promised.

So, I don't feel too bad about the markup at this point.
And you shouldn’t. If the car is at the dealer ready to be purchased for immediate delivery, it would be the dealer’s prerogative to sell it for less or more, and the markup is the cost of not having to wait for a long time, like in my case for over a year.
Where I have a problem is when you made the deal at the time of the purchase order, there is no markup, and after many months later when the car is close to delivery the dealer springs the ADM on you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And you shouldn’t. If the car is at the dealer ready to be purchased for immediate delivery, it would be the dealer’s prerogative to sell it for less or more, and the markup is the cost of not having to wait for a long time, like in my case for over a year.
Where I have a problem is when you made the deal at the time of the purchase order, there is no markup, and after many months later when the car is close to delivery the dealer springs the ADM on you.
I agree wholeheartedly, for a dealer to add ADM when the car is close to delivery is reprehensible. I only recently became interested in the Mach E, and took a local one for a test drive. At which point, I was sold and wanted one. The one I test drove was a Select, standard range, RWD. They were asking about $8k over MSRP, and selling it as used, so you wouldn't get the $7500 rebate (making it, to me, $15k+ over MSRP). Totally ridiculous, and not what I wanted anyway.

I found a premium, extended range, AWD, and in my preferred color. Given that they seem to be in short supply, I'm late to the game, and to order one would put me in the middle of next year, I didn't feel to bad about the markup. Doesn't mean I like it though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree wholeheartedly, for a dealer to add ADM when the car is close to delivery is reprehensible. I only recently became interested in the Mach E, and took a local one for a test drive. At which point, I was sold and wanted one. The one I test drove was a Select, standard range, RWD. They were asking about $8k over MSRP, and selling it as used, so you wouldn't get the $7500 rebate (making it, to me, $15k+ over MSRP). Totally ridiculous, and not what I wanted anyway.

I found a premium, extended range, AWD, and in my preferred color. Given that they seem to be in short supply, I'm late to the game, and to order one would put me in the middle of next year, I didn't feel to bad about the markup. Doesn't mean I like it though.
Gotcha! Enjoy the ride!! I’m getting a straight Mach e GT in Space White. Waiting for delivery the 2nd week in November. Reserved on 9/2020 though.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts