Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I recently made a deal for a "mannequin" Mach E. Before I drove to see it, they did mention $5k markup, but negotiable. It was about a 2 hour drive for me to get to the dealer. We settled on $3800 over MSRP, but they included a Ford Connected Charging Station in the deal. I had to wait for them to get approval from Ford, as it only has 1600 miles. In the meantime, I found out that although they assured me it would come with a full warranty, it does not. The warranty started in March, so I'd be losing 8 months. They were going to get something in writing from Ford corporate stating a full warranty. However, I was on my way to pick it up Monday, they called and said they can't deliver until the saftey recalls are fixed. They also mentioned the warranty had been extended to 4yr/42k mile Ford PremiumCare. In other words, without admitting they were wrong about the warranty, they were trying to make it right to what they promised.

So, I don't feel too bad about the markup at this point.
so if this car was titled which was I thought when the warranty starts. You won't be eligible for the $7500 tax credit. ALthough ford has arrangements for a rebate for titled demos you may want to check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
so if this car was titled which was I thought when the warranty starts. You won't be eligible for the $7500 tax credit. ALthough ford has arrangements for a rebate for titled demos you may want to check.
I've read about the Ford rebate for the manniquins, however they swear the car will be titled as new. I'll definitely be watching as we go through the paperwork, in fact I'll ask to see the title part before I sign anything.

As far as the warranty, I saw online that the manniquins wouldn't receive "credit" for time or mileage. I don't know if that only applied to the previously titled ones or not. I plugged the VIN into the Ford website and it showed the warranty started in March (when I assume they got the car). I brought this up with the salesperson. Since it seems they've added a Ford PremiumCare plan, I assume the warranty started in March, which does make me concerned about the title.

However, due to the recalls, I can't pick it up until they are completed, which at this point will be sometime after Nov 15, when Ford releases the fix (according to the dealer). I'd complain about waiting 3+ weeks, but that doesn't seem right after reading some of the stories online (and the huge lead times from order to delivery)
grammer edit

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've never paid over msrp and can't imagine doing so.
Curious on the model y, will they hold to the price at the time in august, as I believe they just had a pretty decent bump in price on all models.
As long as you don't change any part of your configuration, they deliver the car at the ordered price. Confirmed by my delivery at original price, $1,500 less than interim price increases.

·
Registered
146 Posts
While I agree that ADM in most situations is outrageous and if it happens after the fact, a letter should be generated to Ford executives, and the car should not be purchased with ADM; but I continued to be amazed about how many posters on the Mach e Club do not own a Mach e. I own a Mach e and I am not now, or ever have been a member of a Tesla club, Volkswagen ID 4 club, or any other BEV manufacturer club. I read the posts on this forum to understand the shared nuances of my Mach e, and the value of the same. Maybe its just a thing that the Mach e garners some much attention, at least mine does, at 4500 miles. 50% of the time I am out and about in my Mach e I will get positive recognition from some passerby. I guess at this point in time I will just let it go when a poster tells us that they purchased an x or y vehicle and need to do the same on the Mach e Club forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
September of 2020 placed reservation on Mach e GT. * April 2021 reservation changed to Purchase Order. * Now delivery scheduled for October 11, 2021 and Malloy Ford of Alexandria, Virginia calls to tell me that a “dealer markup of $3,500” will be added to the $61K price on the order and I should be happy because others have paid as much as $10,000 markup.
Voicing my disappointment to the manager he told me that my order that I waited for over a year will be canceled.
* This is the best way for Ford to drive buyers into Elon Musk’s arms. Model Y is starting to look better now.
Do the majority of Mach e buyers have similar experiences?
Ford Marketing says that they have no control over the dealers and these are free to charge whatever they want. :(
I would tell the dealer that you will file a complaint against them with the BBB. I believe you signed a contract for a specific price like I did. And yes, I would cancel and tell Ford you will never do business with them again. They are not the only game in town.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-e Premium Rapid Red EX-4
85 Posts
Some dealers charging $10K over full list that the dealer is already getting should be illegal. Its sad because for that much over list people will move to Tesla. Dealers are getting full markup. To add additional charge more shows they are shady. In emergency gas stations are not allowed to markup up gas why is this different cars are hard to get why are dealers allowed to rip off customers like this. Should be a law against it or Ford should start to move away from dealers that do this or not give them inventory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Some dealers charging $10K over full list that the dealer is already getting should be illegal. Its sad because for that much over list people will move to Tesla. Dealers are getting full markup. To add additional charge more shows they are shady. In emergency gas stations are not allowed to markup up gas why is this different cars are hard to get why are dealers allowed to rip off customers like this. Should be a law against it or Ford should start to move away from dealers that do this or not give them inventory.
I agree with you. Contractually Ford may not be able to control what dealers charge, but they may be able to control the allotments, and shut off the spigot or bring it to a trickle for the misbehavers. As being their blood supply I believe that Ford has enormous leverage over its dealers. In the old days when vehicles were of so-so quality we all wanted to get as much of a discount as we could from the dealer. Now that they are making quality products people don’t mind paying MSRP, me included.
Times have changed and car companies have to change their sales models to be able to compete in the 21st century.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I hardly think that during a hurricane where we are without power, and where we need gas to run our generators, when a gas station charges $10 a gallon for gas is comparable to a $10K ADM. This is really a false equivalency.

There are many dealers doing the same: when I priced out the Genesis SUV - upfront they said there was a dealer markup over MSRP. I just said "thank you" and left. No dealer today is discounting their cars. With so few cars, every dealer is selling at MSRP or above. So why expect a Ford dealer to do differently?

As to dealer profit: Unlike an ICE, there is a very limited profit on the MachE. That is one reason the X-Plan does not give you the same discount as on an ICE. So the dealer, with little to no inventory, cannot survive on selling the MachE at MSRP. Hence ADM.

No one is forcing anyone, no one has a gun to their head when they go to buy a car. If you do not want to pay the ADM, find another dealer, find another car or wait until supply and demand are back in balance.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I agree with you. Contractually Ford may not be able to control what dealers charge, but they may be able to control the allotments, and shut off the spigot or bring it to a trickle for the misbehavers. As being their blood supply I believe that Ford has enormous leverage over its dealers. In the old days when vehicles were of so-so quality we all wanted to get as much of a discount as we could from the dealer. Now that they are making quality products people don’t mind paying MSRP, me included.
Times have changed and car companies have to change their sales models to be able to compete in the 21st century.
Cannot agree: I know of no one who "don't mind paying MSRP". I have never paid MSRP for a car, including Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Acura, Ford.

The world has not turned upside down: all we presently have is an in balance of supply and demand caused by a chip shortage.

Once that chip shortage is corrected, supply comes back, dealers will once again be discounting certain cars.

I really feel, as I have posted, that in several years, those who have paid an ADM, those who have taken demos and not gotten the Federal Tax credit, when they go to sell and/or trade in their vehicles will be shocked at what they get vs. what they paid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not only does Ford not have any control over dealer pricing, many State legislatures have passed "sweetheart laws" requiring vehicles to be sold only by retail dealers. Musk recently cut a deal to place a service center on an Arizona Tribal reservation to get around the dealer mandate. Keep in mind that many Tesla buyers have to go over State lines to take delivery from the Tesla centers.
At an EV event Saturday I warned people that before committing to a dealer get in writing that they will honor MSRP and any discount plans that the buyer is eligible to receive. When my on-line reservation was changed to an order Gaudin Ford of Las Vegas added a $5,000 ADM to the on-line Ford site "suggested MSRP". I switched to Friendly Ford of LV at no ADM and got the X-Plan.
As has been often said, "What is something worth"? "Whatever someone is will to pay to get it". As long as buyers are willing to essentially "overspend" by paying ADM, the dealers will continue to require it on a high demand vehicle.
PS Lightning and Hybrid Maverick buyers beware your turn is coming.
I ordered a GT Per from Gaudin Ford on Oct 1 and I will pay MSRP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Cannot agree: I know of no one who "don't mind paying MSRP". I have never paid MSRP for a car, including Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Acura, Ford.

The world has not turned upside down: all we presently have is an in balance of supply and demand caused by a chip shortage.

Once that chip shortage is corrected, supply comes back, dealers will once again be discounting certain cars.

I really feel, as I have posted, that in several years, those who have paid an ADM, those who have taken demos and not gotten the Federal Tax credit, when they go to sell and/or trade in their vehicles will be shocked at what they get vs. what they paid.
When cars were made to last until you made your last payment on a 5 years loan you bet I did not and would not pay MSRP. To compete now card are made to perform and last a lot longer, thus if presented with a good product I don’t mind paying a fair price. Live and let live.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
this is going to be changing over the next few years. Tesla has been the only real game in town until this year. First Ford, then VW, kia among others. If I weren't happy with my ford, I'd absolutely look at the Kia.. Tesla was never realistically considered. I don't want to put another penny in the pocket of musk.

·
Registered
330 Posts
...I continued to be amazed about how many posters on the Mach e Club do not own a Mach e...
I'm one of them. I joined this forum last year as part of the decision making process for buying a Model Y, a Mach E, an id4, or a Q4. Even though I finally decided on the Model Y I believe I have the ability and interest to contribute to the conversation and to keep up with the EV market. There are Mach E owners over on the Tesla forum

Cannot agree: I know of no one who "don't mind paying MSRP". I have never paid MSRP for a car, including Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Acura, Ford...
The dirty little secret is that Ford Invoices the Mach E to dealers at MSRP. Invoicing is usually 8 to 10% below MSRP. In today's market, the Mach E is the least profitable car they sell and not very good for their maintenance department. Incentive to join the EV world doesn't look good to them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I would tell the dealer that you will file a complaint against them with the BBB. I believe you signed a contract for a specific price like I did. And yes, I would cancel and tell Ford you will never do business with them again. They are not the only game in town.
Fortunately for me I was able to get Ford to intercede on my behalf and will finally get the Mach e GT without the ADM. To be double sure I was able to get the dealer email me the final invoice with all the appropriate charges (taxes, tags and nominal processing fee) and the final drive-out price. Will be driving the car in mid-November.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The dirty little secret is that Ford Invoices the Mach E to dealers at MSRP. Invoicing is usually 8 to 10% below MSRP. In today's market, the Mach E is the least profitable car they sell and not very good for their maintenance department. Incentive to join the EV world doesn't look good to them.
Actually with holdbacks and incentives the markup on ICE cars approaches and often exceeds 15%.

With regard to the MachE, MSRP is not the invoice price. There is a markup, but nothing like that on an ICE.

I have posted many times, with little volume, small mark up, you cannot expect the average Ford dealer to be excited by the MachE. In addition new lifts to accommodate the weight of the MachE are needed, charging stalls and with so little sales volume, it makes no sense to inventory parts.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think there are enough pricing games with both Tesla and Ford that the point is a bit moot.

However, my Ford dealership experience was ridiculous for no test drive, no haggling, just buy the damn car and it took 3.5 hours. That is the kind of stuff that would make me not want to buy another Ford in the future.

But I do love my new cyber-orange GT Perf!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer model is not aging well.
This. I bought the car in May, when there wasn't a lot of inventory. One of the factors in our decision was the access to service. We found a car 40 miles away, and bought it. The closest dealership is four miles away and we intended to get it serviced there. I called to make a recall appointment and was told" Take it to where you bought it. We are only servicing our people." I love the car, but had known this BS, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Called Ford and they kept insisting that you can go to ANY Ford dealer, I explained that is clearly not true. I had to call the complaint line, but nothing will happen. The dealer model is garbage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
This. I bought the car in May, when there wasn't a lot of inventory. One of the factors in our decision was the access to service. We found a car 40 miles away, and bought it. The closest dealership is four miles away and we intended to get it serviced there. I called to make a recall appointment and was told" Take it to where you bought it. We are only servicing our people." I love the car, but had known this BS, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Called Ford and they kept insisting that you can go to ANY Ford dealer, I explained that is clearly not true. I had to call the complaint line, but nothing will happen. The dealer model is garbage.
You may want to look for an authorized Fore repair shop that would honor the warranty instead of a dealer repair.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts