Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just curious. How many road trips of more than 400 miles do you make in a year?
Maybe one or two ~800 mile road trips (each way) per year.

If it was a trip only needing a single recharge stop along the way, I might consider taking the BEV. But not a trip requiring 3-5 recharges. That's like an extra 2-3 hours of lost time.

And since we'll still have an Escape in the garage anyway, it's a no-brainer just to drive it on trips anyway.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Maybe one or two ~800 mile road trips (each way) per year.

If it was a trip only needing a single recharge stop along the way, I might consider taking the BEV. But not a trip requiring 3-5 recharges. That's like an extra 2-3 hours of lost time.

And since we'll still have an Escape in the garage anyway, it's a no-brainer just to drive it on trips anyway.
Thanks. I understand your thinking.

After you get an EV and drive it for six months, I will be interested to see if you still feel this way. I really don't like driving ICE anymore, but you might be different.

·
Registered
237 Posts

After you get an EV and drive it for six months, I will be interested to see if you still feel this way. I really don't like driving ICE anymore, but you might be different.
I fully expect I'll like driving the BEV better (in general). I'll be quite disappointed if I don't.

And refueling at home overnight will be wonderful too. But 20-40 minute refuels on a road trip is just the opposite. Doing one of those somewhere with a lunch place attached is fine. But a 2nd... 3rd... 4th... 5th lengthy stop is not. Not to mention the anxiety and lack of flexibility of being married to a route with few (if any) backup options if a charger isn't available where it needs to be.

But that's all fine because we have a 2nd (ICE) car for that anyway. The BEV will have all the advantages of being the primary around-home car charging easily (and cheaply) in our garage, while the ICE car will get all road trips and whatever concurrent use we need it for. Best of both worlds.

I kinda look at it like buying a pickup. We wouldn't take that on a road trip either because it's just a poor fit relative to the Escape.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I fully expect I'll like driving the BEV better (in general). I'll be quite disappointed if I don't.

And refueling at home overnight will be wonderful too. But 20-40 minute refuels on a road trip is just the opposite. Doing one of those somewhere with a lunch place attached is fine. But a 2nd... 3rd... 4th... 5th lengthy stop is not. Not to mention the anxiety and lack of flexibility of being married to a route with few (if any) backup options if a charger isn't available where it needs to be.

But that's all fine because we have a 2nd (ICE) car for that anyway. The BEV will have all the advantages of being the primary around-home car charging easily (and cheaply) in our garage, while the ICE car will get all road trips and whatever concurrent use we need it for. Best of both worlds.

I kinda look at it like buying a pickup. We wouldn't take that on a road trip either because it's just a poor fit relative to the Escape.
I understand what you are saying. Everyone's needs are different, and I can't speak for anyone else. I hope you will post here after you've had the EV for a few months. I'm honestly interested in your experiences and opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts

My experience has been the range anxiety goes away after a while as you better understand the range in your particular vehicle. I prefer how BEVs drive now. I take long trips a few times a year and I look forward to renting a car for those trips anyway because I save all those miles off of my special car, don't have to worry at all about rock chips, and save all the tire wear too. And a weekly rental is not expensive these days for a few times a year, especially considering my daily savings on gas

·
Registered
237 Posts
My experience has been the range anxiety goes away after a while as you better understand the range in your particular vehicle. I prefer how BEVs drive now. I take long trips a few times a year and I look forward to renting a car for those trips anyway because I save all those miles off of my special car, don't have to worry at all about rock chips, and save all the tire wear too. And a weekly rental is not expensive these days for a few times a year, especially considering my daily savings on gas
Which is why I'm planning to save the $5000 and just getting the standard range battery rather than the extended range. $5000 can pay for a heck of a lot of weekly rentals! 😎

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've driven someone else's BEV (Hyundai Kona EV) for less than 10 minutes... So not any ownership experience there. However, I'm fully expecting to achieve this same level of zen and the art of Mach-E maintenance as @desertdrifter and @dbsb3233 have described. RWD, standard range battery is what I'll be ordering.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
554 Posts
Note the new Tech Specs show the useable range as 68 and 88 kWh, so Ford has already walled off ~ 10% of the battery. You can probably feel free to charge it all the way.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
528 Posts
Note the new Tech Specs show the useable range as 68 and 88 kWh, so Ford has already walled off ~ 10% of the battery. You can probably feel free to charge it all the way.
Isn’t the 10% so you don’t drain the batteries all the way? it would have nothing to do with the high-speed full charge issues that degrade the battery longevity. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
554 Posts
Isn’t the 10% so you don’t drain the batteries all the way? it would have nothing to do with the high-speed full charge issues that degrade the battery longevity. Am I wrong?
I've seen others with greater expertise than I indicate that at least part of the reserve would keep you from charging it completely. That means regeneration isn't hobbled by a fully charged battery. Beyond that I'll leave it to others to respond with greater expertise.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's a good point. It's either 10% on the top-end (so the car is never fully charged), 10% on the bottom end (so the car is never empty), or some mixture of the two. Batteries like to stay in the middle. Charging to 100% isn't too bad as long as it doesn't stay like for a long period of time. Completely discharging is really damaging to Lithium batteries.

Living in Phoenix, with the heat, I plan to still reserve some on the top-end.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts