Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford is recalling thousands of the plug-in SUV Kuga after a series of fires, says This Is Money website. Kuga Recall

Ford has also cancelled the launch of the Ford Escape hybrid for 2020 because of the fire issue, according to Reuters. Escape Hybrid Production Stopped

The cause of the fires is attributed to the battery being too close to the gas tank in Ford's design.

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
The cause of the fires is attributed to the battery being too close to the gas tank in Ford's design.
From the August recall TSB on the Kuga:
‘Physical damage to the Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module A (SOBDM) and/or the SOBDM connector could allow water ingress to the module, which may cause an electrical short. A short in the SOBDM can potentially cause one or more battery cells to overheat, increasing the risk of fire,’

Proximity to the gas tank seems a bit secondary. overheating batteries can ignite and burn all on their own.

The article mentions Ford is working
with the battery cell manufacturer. I wonder if the cells were overheating without water intrusion as originally thought.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This raises serious concern. Is Ford really ready to mass produce safe and reliable BEVs ? I'm a bit skeptical, especially about battery and electrical safety.

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
This raises serious concern. Is Ford really ready to mass produce safe and reliable BEVs ? I'm a bit skeptical, especially about battery and electrical safety.
Ford has been making HEV and PHEV for years. Whatever new supplier they used for the new Kuga seems to be an issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if they pull out the battery packs and replace them with a different build. Changing the proximity to the gas tank is more precaution in the event of battery overheating. I have no clue what the remedy would be for that.

The equipment in the MMe must be different. Otherwise, they would have delayed production like they did the Escape.

Ford is taking no chances with the MMe, they are constantly testing and tweaking. If you haven’t seen this web presentation yet, watch the video below, the engineers talk about how they live with and test the MMe every day for the last 2-3 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts