Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Question: Did Ford Build A BETTER Tesla?
CHAPTERS
0:00 Mac vs PC (Catfish vs Mustang)
1:02 Promo
2:05 Tesla Frunk
2:51 Ford Frunk
3:37 Tesla FSD - Good or Gimmick?
4:20 Tesla Door Handles
4:31 Ford Door Handles
4:57 Tesla Storage
5:50 Ford Storage
7:16 Tesla Interior
10:18 Competitors (sort of)
10:39 Ford Interior
15:35 Pricing
15:55 Tesla On The Road
17:26 Tax Credit
17:44 Ford On The Road
23:32 Which One Is Better?

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
1,267 Posts
I hit my driving age during the 'Muscle Car' era circa 1965 to 1972 and the raging debate was who's street rocket was better. Was the Ford Daytona 427CID better than the Mopar 426 CID Hemi or the Chevy 427 CID "Rat Motor"? For me back then (I was a Ford guy) and now is which is the one that makes you happy? I have friends and family who are Tesla owners and for the most part they like/love what they have but for me even if the Tesla is 'better' I don't like the exterior design and I loath the interior dash in the Mod Y & 3 so again for me the Mach E is better suited to my taste. So I think a better question is given the many vehicle differences "Did Ford Build A Better BEV/CUV For You"?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wanted to chime in on winter range on our Y... had a trip today which was mostly Thruway driving at 68 to 70 mph. Charged to 90% last night and could not make the 180 mile round trip without a supercharging stop on the way back. Computer said we could make it, but with only 4% - no thanks. (temp about 35 degrees) My point here is that with the Mach E, I think I would have taken my Raptor for a trip like this. Also - I have no plans to not have an ICE vehicle anytime soon - we take frequent road trips and I don't even consider a 90 mile one way trip that much of a road trip. Tesla, at least has the Supercharger network (only a 10 minute stop) in cases like this but definitely takes a little getting used to the range in the winter.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Wanted to chime in on winter range on our Y... had a trip today which was mostly Thruway driving at 68 to 70 mph. Charged to 90% last night and could not make the 180 mile round trip without a supercharging stop on the way back. Computer said we could make it, but with only 4% - no thanks. (temp about 35 degrees) My point here is that with the Mach E, I think I would have taken my Raptor for a trip like this. Also - I have no plans to not have an ICE vehicle anytime soon - we take frequent road trips and I don't even consider a 90 mile one way trip that much of a road trip. Tesla, at least has the Supercharger network (only a 10 minute stop) in cases like this but definitely takes a little getting used to the range in the winter.
Wow Thanks for the FYI

·
Registered
624 Posts
A continuation of the TFL comparison
At 11:50, top of Loveland pass. 68.3 miles Traveled:
MME (211 mile range): 50% Charge, Started at 100%, so 50% "used".
MY (303 mile range): 52% Charge, Started at 95%, so ~43% "used".

A little math:
MME 50% of rated range is 105.5 miles. 68.3 miles is ~65%
MY 43% of rated range is 130.3 miles. 68.3 miles is ~52%

So it seems that the Tesla is a little more aggressive in calculating the range for display.

·
Registered
624 Posts
By aggressive, do you mean overstated?
Yes... I'll say "optimistically stated"

Real world user experience will verify but I think that MME vs MY range will basically be a wash after a year or so when Ford has had time to tune their firmware.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Real world user experience will verify but I think that MME vs MY range will basically be a wash after a year or so when Ford has had time to tune their firmware.
Based on the TFL video I think an AWD ER would have been a close match to their MY.

·
Super Moderator
1,876 Posts

I think I prefer the real-world range estimator in the MMe to just going off of the EPA stated range.
My Fusion Hybrid has a similar, historically based DTE. Its gotten so accurate over the 18000 miles driven, I have no worries even when I hit the ‘25 miles to empty’ alert.

·
Registered
142 Posts
But the charging network issue is legit. Way too many non-working EA stations/bays. Doesn't really matter for me but this needs to be fixed before delivery ramps.
Yes it is a legit issue, but there have been so many people here clutching their pearls over the EPA range being less than the MY and it all seems to be amounting to nothing in real world tests.

·
Super Moderator
1,876 Posts
EA and others will get better, so will the MMe software/systems via OTA. The FordPass network and interoperability will improve.
Such is life with Non-Tesla early adopters.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Electric Cannonball Run record is now held by a Porsche Taycan that used EA to charge, so those issues may be overblown as well.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #195

·
Registered
710 Posts
At 11:50, top of Loveland pass. 68.3 miles Traveled:
MME (211 mile range): 50% Charge, Started at 100%, so 50% "used".
MY (303 mile range): 52% Charge, Started at 95%, so ~43% "used".

A little math:
MME 50% of rated range is 105.5 miles. 68.3 miles is ~65%
MY 43% of rated range is 130.3 miles. 68.3 miles is ~52%

So it seems that the Tesla is a little more aggressive in calculating the range for display.

Another Mach-E/Model Y comparison video from TFL.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Since Consumer Reports will not accept a vehicle from the manufacturer but rather 'undercover' purchases from a dealer it may be a while for a MACH E review.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Another Mach-E/Model Y comparison video from TFL.

A couple of issues, I would love to know why the MMe wouldn't charge on either the Juice Box or the 14-50 outlet? Also, based on the Consumer Reports article that I posted on the Would You spent $10000..., right now the Self/Auto Drive is not a Tesla advantage at any price. Lastly, I would love to get more feedback on the MMe charging rate at public charging stations.

181 - 199 of 199 Posts