Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I guess it helps editors at Edmunds still recommend people to get the Model Y.
For the average consumer that might be good advice but for the rest of us, holding out will be the better option.

"Paint quality issues aside, both Edmunds.com and Sandy Munro recommend the Tesla Model Y. While it may be based on the Model 3, it’s a marked step up in terms of quality from the sedan."

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
693 Posts
I guess it helps editors at Edmunds still recommend people to get the Model Y.
For the average consumer that might be good advice but for the rest of us, holding out will be the better option.

"Paint quality issues aside, both Edmunds.com and Sandy Munro recommend the Tesla Model Y. While it may be based on the Model 3, it’s a marked step up in terms of quality from the sedan."
My son in law loves his Mod 3 and a friend recently told me the only negatives are so-so paint and cabin noise at highway speeds. I guess it depends on who built the particular vehicle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have seen on YouTube that later production of the Model Y, July production, many of the quality control issues were addressed:

• Do you know how old the Model Y you drove is? Was it early production?
  • What quality control issues did you encounter
Thanks!
I reserved a Model Y LR AWD the night of the reveal. Always been a fan of Tesla. I did a 30 minute test drive end of May. The demo car I drove was flawless. I loved the way the car handled. Incredible power. I was ready to buy. However I have been a member on Reddit’s Tesla forum for years. Every day multiple people were posting pictures of the issues on their Y at delivery. There was a running list of issues to look for (terrible paint jobs, panel gaps, missing trim, fogged tail lights, etc.). Most were refusing to take delivery until the issues were fixed. Because getting items fixed after the fact was like pulling teeth. I’m super picky about my cars cosmetically so I know this would have driven me nuts. This is actually what drove me to the MachE. I expect Ford’s fit and finish to beat Tesla. And if I do have a problem, at least I know I will be able to get the car fixed in a timely manner.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
576 Posts
I reserved a Model Y LR AWD the night of the reveal. Always been a fan of Tesla. I did a 30 minute test drive end of May. The demo car I drove was flawless. I loved the way the car handled. Incredible power. I was ready to buy. However I have been a member on Reddit’s Tesla forum for years. Every day multiple people were posting pictures of the issues on their Y at delivery. There was a running list of issues to look for (terrible paint jobs, panel gaps, missing trim, fogged tail lights, etc.). Most were refusing to take delivery until the issues were fixed. Because getting items fixed after the fact was like pulling teeth. I’m super picky about my cars cosmetically so I know this would have driven me nuts. This is actually what drove me to the MachE. I expect Ford’s fit and finish to beat Tesla. And if I do have a problem, at least I know I will be able to get the car fixed in a timely manner.

Interesting and thanks.

According to many, the later production of the Model Y, after July those issues were addressed even to the extent of changing the rear tail lights.

After driving the MachE, if it does not perform like the Model Y does, will you go back to the Model Y?

(corrected post: added "not" before perform)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting and thanks.

According to many, the later production of the Model Y, after July those issues were addressed even to the extent of changing the rear tail lights.

After driving the MachE, if it does not perform like the Model Y does, will you go back to the Model Y?

(corrected post: added "not" before perform)
I doubt it. Tesla needs to change their mentality from being a software company to being a car company, or at least a hybrid of both. There is zero emphasis on customer care and that's a big problem. Also, I like the MachE visually more than the Y. I wish the MachE had the rocket power that the Y does but I can live with a half second difference (can't hold out for the GT as my lease is coming due at end of year).

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
693 Posts
Tesla appears to be playing 'catch up' with the Mach E.
This is an excerpt from some potential Model 3 upgrades such as a revised Frunk (a drain maybe) new steering wheel and something already available on the MMe:
Regarding double glazing, this may very well be an attempt by Tesla to improve the Model 3’s sometimes criticized NVH characteristics. These double-layered side windows are common among larger luxury cars where they do help quiet down the cabin, although they’re usually optional; they only come standard on very expensive cars.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tesla appears to be playing 'catch up' with the Mach E.
This is an excerpt from some potential Model 3 upgrades such as a revised Frunk (a drain maybe) new steering wheel and something already available on the MMe:
Regarding double glazing, this may very well be an attempt by Tesla to improve the Model 3’s sometimes criticized NVH characteristics. These double-layered side windows are common among larger luxury cars where they do help quiet down the cabin, although they’re usually optional; they only come standard on very expensive cars.
I've been reading about the upgrades. A step in the right direction. I actually really love Tesla's vehicles. I just know for myself, I could not deal with the fit and finish issues that the cars are coming off the line with. I know every car maker has a % of issues, but with Tesla it's almost guaranteed. Where I live in NorCal, Tesla is as common as Honda. Neighbors and friends own Teslas. They love their cars, but they deal with way too many issues for a car in the upper price range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm so back and forth on a decision between a Model Y or a Mach E. I put a deposit down on a Mach E GT, knowing it will be late summer. Just not sure I want to wait that long. I feel like the other Mach E models aren't going to have that same acceleration feel as the Y did for me. I know it's only a second to 60, but.... Definitely waiting until Battery day to see what the hoopla is about and also would like to read some reviews of Mach E's - when should journalists get to test - late October/November?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm so back and forth on a decision between a Model Y or a Mach E. I put a deposit down on a Mach E GT, knowing it will be late summer. Just not sure I want to wait that long. I feel like the other Mach E models aren't going to have that same acceleration feel as the Y did for me. I know it's only a second to 60, but.... Definitely waiting until Battery day to see what the hoopla is about and also would like to read some reviews of Mach E's - when should journalists get to test - late October/November?
Also looking forward to Battery Day. I think there will be a lot of surprises. Have you driven a Y? If you go for a Y, just make sure on delivery day to inspect the car closely and refuse to take delivery if there is anything glaringly wrong. I have friends with the Y and like I said above, I love the car. If you can get one without defects you'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also looking forward to Battery Day. I think there will be a lot of surprises. Have you driven a Y? If you go for a Y, just make sure on delivery day to inspect the car closely and refuse to take delivery if there is anything glaringly wrong. I have friends with the Y and like I said above, I love the car. If you can get one without defects you'll be happy with it.
Yes, we drove a Y and then the X a few weeks back. Really liked the Y better than the X and were amazed at the acceleration and how fun it was to drive. I keep reading about the Y quality issues and some of the stories don't sound fun... We plan to keep our Raptor for longer road trips, etc. The Y would mostly be used local and charged at home - sort of negates the Super Charger advantage of the Tesla. Just not sure I want to be part of the very first generation of a Ford EV even though I'm a Ford guy...

61 - 72 of 72 Posts