Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
"Terrible quality" and "churning out as many cars as it can, regardless of quality" are a bit out of date, today.
Unfortunately, the quality control and churn are still an issue. The Fremont facility is running over capacity, and Tesla is definitely still sacrificing quality for quantity. This is why Tesla is expediting Texas and Germany factories instead of fixing the quality issues now. Tesla recognizes there is an issue, but instead of doing the right thing now for it’s customers, they are doing right by the shareholders instead.

Unless they slow the line and make the necessary physical changes at Fremont, Tesla will continue to have the same issues. Its been over six months since Model Y production started. The line should have been paused, root-cause identified and fixed, and then restarted (this is modern manufacturing 101). We should be seeing near-zero issues with alignment, leaks, etc. but that’s not the case.

And by me pointing out Tesla has problems is in no way saying other companies don’t have their own. Everyone should strive for the A on the test. the excuse “ Well, Joe also got a C on the exam” is without merit. Just do better.

I wish you well with your Model Y, and may you get one with minimum quality issues.

PS -There is a big difference between belittling something (the bashing) and constructive criticism (meant to point out what must be corrected to improve).

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
720 Posts
Tesla increases the range for existing Model Y EVs through an update

see: https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesla-model-y-range-increase-update-202526142.html

and

·
Registered
720 Posts
I foresee used Tesla prices dropping significantly
As new models come out that will have longer range and cheaper prices, the resale values of all BEV's, including Tesla, are going to continue to drop.

Just another reason I will only lease. Let the manufacturer absorb the depreciation.

Will the First Edition I ordered, which is now $3,600 more than a comparably equipped Premium AWD LR, be worth even $500 more in three years than the Premium? I doubt. Even if it turns into a classic, as my wife correctly points out, at 76 I will not be here in 30 years to see it!

The First Edition will be our third car - something of a luxury. We can wait. I ask myself should I lay out $3,600 more for the First Edition or wait 6 months for a Premium LR AWD, have some of the initial bugs of first year of production worked out and save $3,600.

·
Registered
585 Posts
As new models come out that will have longer range and cheaper prices, the resale values of all BEV's, including Tesla, are going to continue to drop.

Just another reason I will only lease. Let the manufacturer absorb the depreciation.

Will the First Edition I ordered, which is now $3,600 more than a comparably equipped Premium AWD LR, be worth even $500 more in three years than the Premium? I doubt. Even if it turns into a classic, as my wife correctly points out, at 76 I will not be here in 30 years to see it!

The First Edition will be our third car - something of a luxury. We can wait. I ask myself should I lay out $3,600 more for the First Edition or wait 6 months for a Premium LR AWD, have some of the initial bugs of first year of production worked out and save $3,600.
Sure, but the point is that Tesla has been able to prop up resale value until now.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sure, but the point is that Tesla has been able to prop up resale value until now.
Until now they were the only game in town.

If you go on Cars.com, there are 2018 and 2019 Model 3's, with clean CarFax reports between $35,000 and $40,000. Based on a MSRP of $50,000 to $55,000 that is depreciation of between 20% and 30% over 1 to 2 years. The prices on the Tesla.com are much higher.

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
The updated warranty terms from Tesla is now in line with the rest if the industry for certified vehicles. The practice is to honor the balance of the original warranty, or give you a limited extended warranty on used vehicles outside the original warranty window. For non-certified vehicles (sold “AS-IS”), there are local laws that can help protect you.

Fact is, if Tesla used car sales are doing well, why should they incur the extra cost if they don’t have to? Stinks for the consumer, though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The updated warranty terms from Tesla is now in line with the rest if the industry for certified vehicles. The practice is to honor the balance of the original warranty, or give you a limited extended warranty on used vehicles outside the original warranty window. For non-certified vehicles (sold “AS-IS”), there are local laws that can help protect you.

Fact is, if Tesla used car sales are doing well, why should they incur the extra cost if they don’t have to? Stinks for the consumer, though.
And, Ford is not likely to do any better with their EVs...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Until now they were the only game in town.

If you go on Cars.com, there are 2018 and 2019 Model 3's, with clean CarFax reports between $35,000 and $40,000. Based on a MSRP of $50,000 to $55,000 that is depreciation of between 20% and 30% over 1 to 2 years. The prices on the Tesla.com are much higher.
Pretty much same as other cars in that time frame. I know I cited my 30% drop on my 2020 Explorer ST in less than a year. But have had similar experiences with Jeep GC, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
And, Ford is not likely to do any better with their EVs...
Correct. like I said, the warranty as described is the standard practice in the industry for certified vehicles.

For Tesla, it was a smart business decision.

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
Pretty much same as other cars in that time frame. I know I cited my 30% drop on my 2020 Explorer ST in less than a year. But have had similar experiences with Jeep GC, etc.
Main reason being, why would I buy a one-year old vehicle close to the original selling price? I would just buy a new one. Has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle.

With the lack of EVs in the market, Tesla resale was higher. Now, all I have to do is wait 4-6 weeks for a new one? Why should I pay premium for used?

Additionally, more options are coming in 2021. Get a new EV from a competitor, or buy a used one at the same price?

The demand will wane, reducing resale value further, its just the nature of supply and demand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Main reason being, why would I buy a one-year old vehicle close to the original selling price? I would just buy a new one. Has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle.

With the lack of EVs in the market, Tesla resale was higher. Now, all I have to do is wait 4-6 weeks for a new one? Why should I pay premium for used?

Additionally, more options are coming in 2021. Get a new EV from a competitor, or buy a used one at the same price?

The demand will wane, reducing resale value further, its just the nature of supply and demand.
I don't see why anyone would. But have always been surprised by the number of people that will buy nicely used for a slight decrease in the original price. I'm not in that court. Of course Ford lowered the price of 2021 Explorers across the board - this is similar to the argument that EV's will also drop in price.

Of course if I sold my Explorer outright, maybe I could have gotten 10% more, but at the expense of the 8% tax credit by trading in - not worth it to me whatsoever to deal with a private sale.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
Every time I think of the Model Y vs. the MME another story about Tesla appears.
Good thing: Tesla acknowledging it. Excellent first step. They need to take ownership of some other design flaws and issues, then make appropriate remedies. Don’t get me wrong, Tesla does issue TSB and recalls now and then.

Bad thing: Tesla fanaticals who harassed all those coming forward as liers, haters, or FUD spreaders won’t acknowledge it. Nor will they go back and apologize for the way they treated these individuals.

As a customer affected by voluntary recalls and TSBs of Ford in the past, I don’t have the attitude of ‘great another problem’, but one of ‘they are still looking out for me, even after I bought the car.’

I recommend owners of ANY vehicle from ANY manufacturer should use this link: USDOT NHTSA - Safety Issues and Recalls Database , it only includes TSBs that are deemed ‘safety related’, because that is all that is required by law to release.

People can also submit an issue for review. I recommend anyone with a problem with their vehicle (again, any manufacturer) that is concerning file a complaint with the NHTSA. It is not a bad thing to say there is an issue, it just helps every other owner of the same car you have get help.

I am surprised I don't see a complaint about the Model Y glass roof flying off, to me that should prompt the owner to file a report. he did file a police report because he was worried the debris would cause an accident. Go figure.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
121 - 140 of 154 Posts