Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Model Y registrations are way up, above the Model 3.

That's great for Tesla as it shows many folks are still going forward with purchasing one despite these quality issues. Of course, some may not be aware or care at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tesla claims the failures in the limited number of vehicles were cause by damage with pothole encounters, a serious problem in China, and curbing. Contesting a recall in China is a long drawn out process with a long period of potential bad publicity. Tesla has elected to comply voluntarily with the recall of 2013-2017 S and X models. The NHTSA has not issued a similar recall.

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
The only safety related TSB/recall with suspension in the US had to do with bolts. The complaint(s) similar to this issue (suspension mounted to frame) were found inconclusive by NHTSA.

The problem I find with the China report is, what is a ‘hard enough’ impact to cause this damage? It is extremely vague.
If it was an accident at 30 mph, then there is a problem. If it was at 70mph, well then, there is only so much a suspension could take.
The proactive thing for Tesla to do is issue ‘inspect’ QC TSB to its service reps. So whenever a model S is serviced for anything else, the tech has a look to ensure there is no stress fatigue from normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
141 Posts
"Ford Mach E vs Model Y"

I need to comment on something that's bugging me. First, the next year represents a watershed where many EV cars will be BETTER than their ICE competition. It's no longer just a "being green" market The Mach E, while behind the Model Y in a few critical areas, is a spectacular car with impressive design. The problem is why is production so limited - 50,000 next year? Tesla might produce 500,000 Model Ys next year. With the power of Ford's name and loyalty of customers, and the manufacturing capacity of the company, they should be on the road to match or beat Tesla's capacity. There should also be other Ford and Lincoln models based on the chassis design. With the public waking up to EV value, there is plenty of room in the marketplace for Ford, Tesla and others to sell all that they can build. Ford, with the Mach E is ahead of ALL but Tesla in design, performance an practicality of any of the other competition. Polestar 2 and VW's iD4 are not far behind.

The answer to this failure as I see it, is not just seeing the market change coming soon enough, but the BIGGEST not anticipating enough the need for battery manufacturing. Tesla has nailed down huge shares of LG, Panasonic and CATL production AND seeing that is not enough, are ramping up production of their own state-of-the art batteries.

Batteries are the only thing slowing the revolution down. Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, FCA, Kia, etc. need to figure out how to phase out their ICE factories and get with the EV game in a bigger way than any of them have done to date. I left out VAG, because their diesel problem has forced them to wake up. If these companies don't make the changes, the plethora of startups out there are going to eat their lunch.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,157 Posts
"Ford Mach E vs Model Y"

I need to comment on something that's bugging me. First, the next year represents a watershed where many EV cars will be BETTER than their ICE competition. It's no longer just a "being green" market The Mach E, while behind the Model Y in a few critical areas, is a spectacular car with impressive design. The problem is why is production so limited - 50,000 next year? Tesla might produce 500,000 Model Ys next year. With the power of Ford's name and loyalty of customers, and the manufacturing capacity of the company, they should be on the road to match or beat Tesla's capacity. There should also be other Ford and Lincoln models based on the chassis design. With the public waking up to EV value, there is plenty of room in the marketplace for Ford, Tesla and others to sell all that they can build. Ford, with the Mach E is ahead of ALL but Tesla in design, performance an practicality of any of the other competition. Polestar 2 and VW's iD4 are not far behind.

The answer to this failure as I see it, is not just seeing the market change coming soon enough, but the BIGGEST not anticipating enough the need for battery manufacturing. Tesla has nailed down huge shares of LG, Panasonic and CATL production AND seeing that is not enough, are ramping up production of their own state-of-the art batteries.

Batteries are the only thing slowing the revolution down. Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, FCA, Kia, etc. need to figure out how to phase out their ICE factories and get with the EV game in a bigger way than any of them have done to date. I left out VAG, because their diesel problem has forced them to wake up. If these companies don't make the changes, the plethora of startups out there are going to eat their lunch.

A couple of points, which you may or may not agree with:

• So far, no one, I repeat no one, other than Ford representatives have drive the MME. Perhaps it is better to wait, have others than Ford reps drive the car and give us their impressions rather than to heap hyperbole on the MMR:​
  • "Ford, with the Mach E is ahead of ALL but Tesla in design, performance an practicality of any of the other competition. Polestar 2 and VW's iD4 are not far behind."
  • While EV's have come a long way, they have not yet achieved parity with the ICE: range as compared to ICE is lacking and most important price is still not on parity.​
  • Do not forget the mainline auto makers have invested billions in engines, transmissions and other components of the ICE. It is simple naive to think that mainline auto manufacturers are going to walk away from those investments.​
  • The demand for EV is yet unknown. What would you have the mainline auto makers do: borrow billions to build new EV factories when demand is not yet know? Convert existing factories making ICE to EV's and during that transition stop the production of ICE vehicles?​
I think the answers to your questions if far, far more complex than you might realize. It is way beyond just additional battery capacity.

Finally much of the third world and a great deal of "middle" countries does not have the infrastructure to support EV's. Every third world country has access to petroleum.

Keep in mind that Tesla is shooting for 500,000 vehicles this year. World wide sales of vehicles in 2019 topped 77 million. Tesla share is just over .65%.

Finding batteries for less than 1% of the car production is not difficult. Finding batters for just 5%, 3.5 million cars, is a whole lot more difficult.

·
Registered
446 Posts
A member of the other Mach-E forum was able to test drive the prototype car that's been floating around Phoenix... He was super happy with it.

But I mostly agree. We need to see drive reviews from journalists who drive all the brands and hopefully have been given at least several days of time to experience life with a Mach-E.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
A member of the other Mach-E forum was able to test drive the prototype car that's been floating around Phoenix... He was super happy with it.

But I mostly agree. We need to see drive reviews from journalists who drive all the brands and hopefully have been given at least several days of time to experience life with a Mach-E.
And even more important the people who have ordered are given a chance to drive the MME.

Almost all cars look good on paper and many turn out to be disasters. Come to think of it cars that do not look good on paper, even though "loved by journalists" like the Audi Etron, price and range, Jaguar I Pace, again price and range, totally bomb and are on dealers lots looking for buyers even with $15,000 to $20,000 discounts. Ditto: BMW I3.

Ultimately it will be us, not the journalists, who determine whether or not the MME meets the levels of the competition on price, range, drivability, fit and finish.

·
Registered
446 Posts
And even more important the people who have ordered are given a chance to drive the MME.

Almost all cars look good on paper and many turn out to be disasters. Come to think of it cars that do not look good on paper, even though "loved by journalists" like the Audi Etron, price and range, Jaguar I Pace, again price and range, totally bomb and are on dealers lots looking for buyers even with $15,000 to $20,000 discounts. Ditto: BMW I3.

Ultimately it will be us, not the journalists, who determine whether or not the MME meets the levels of the competition on price, range, drivability, fit and finish.
Yes, of course. I need to test drive the car I ordered before I hand over more money. The $500 deposit that I left with the dealer is refundable in case I don't like the vehicle. I hope others will have made similar arrangements with their dealers.

I'd still like to see what certain journalists have to say, because I value their experienced opinions, too.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
120 Posts

It's hard for anyone to be objective when they're reviewing a "free" car, even when they claim to be. I'd take an I-Pace or an eTron myself... if they were free :p

·
Registered
141 Posts
A couple of points, which you may or may not agree with:

"While EV's have come a long way, they have not yet achieved parity with the ICE: range as compared to ICE is lacking and most important price is still not on parity."

"Do not forget the mainline auto makers have invested billions in engines, transmissions and other components of the ICE. It is simple naive to think that mainline auto manufacturers are going to walk away from those investments."

"The demand for EV is yet unknown. What would you have the mainline auto makers do: borrow billions to build new EV factories when demand is not yet know? Convert existing factories making ICE to EV's and during that transition stop the production of ICE vehicles?"

"Finally much of the third world and a great deal of "middle" countries does not have the infrastructure to support EV's. Every third world country has access to petroleum."

"Keep in mind that Tesla is shooting for 500,000 vehicles this year. World wide sales of vehicles in 2019 topped 77 million. Tesla share is just over .65%."
You miss my point a bit on several items. I emphasize, 2021 is a watershed year for the change in attitude. Demand will skyrocket. Range has reached a point where the *better performance of EVs makes them "better cars". Of course mainline manufacturers are tied to their ICE infrastructure. THEY are "naive" in not understanding how rapidly they will need to adapt. Yes it will cost them, but if they don't act, startups will replace them. VAG and Renault are already moving rapidly. There are EV startups proliferating all over Europe and in China.

There are technologies that are disruptive. jet engines, i.e., Pratt & Whitney moved from piston engines to jets, Wright virtually disappeared. Apple made the iPhone, look at the cellphone companies that disappeared, replaced by Samsung, LG, etc.

With the cost of batteries dropping to where the EV drive train is cheaper than the ICE drive train, the demand IS going to soar. (Tesla's new battery pack is already there.)

Tesla 500,000 in 2020, 850,000 in 2021, 1,250,000 in 2022. 1,750,000 in 2023, 2,500,000 in 2024, etc.

US, Europe and East Asia are ready for EVs. China is moving faster than any other market, except little Norway.

*Mach E GT will match Mustang Shelby GT500 in performance and it's an SUV that you can take your kids to school in. 😋

·
Registered
120 Posts
You miss my point a bit on several items. I emphasize, 2021 is a watershed year for the change in attitude. Demand will skyrocket. Range has reached a point where the *better performance of EVs makes them "better cars". Of course mainline manufacturers are tied to their ICE infrastructure. THEY are "naive" in not understanding how rapidly they will need to adapt. Yes it will cost them, but if they don't act, startups will replace them. VAG and Renault are already moving rapidly. There are EV startups proliferating all over Europe and in China.

There are technologies that are disruptive. jet engines, i.e., Pratt & Whitney moved from piston engines to jets, Wright virtually disappeared. Apple made the iPhone, look at the cellphone companies that disappeared, replaced by Samsung, LG, etc.

With the cost of batteries dropping to where the EV drive train is cheaper than the ICE drive train, the demand IS going to soar. (Tesla's new battery pack is already there.)

Tesla 500,000 in 2020, 850,000 in 2021, 1,250,000 in 2022. 1,750,000 in 2023, 2,500,000 in 2024, etc.

US, Europe and East Asia are ready for EVs. China is moving faster than any other market, except little Norway.

*Mach E GT will match Mustang Shelby GT500 in performance and it's an SUV that you can take your kids to school in. 😋
Exactly. It won't matter what the legacies have invested in ICE when customer don't want to buy them. Kodak had a lot invested in film, didn't help them any.

I don't really know anyone personally who isn't hoping their next car is a BEV. The tide is turning, fast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Picked up my Model Y yesterday, traded in my Explorer ST. Two minor interior flaws that will get corrected with an at home service appt. in a few weeks (I'm in no hurry). That's it, beautiful vehicle. Tesla advisor was great and did a through job going over all the features and getting us set up.

Got in and drove 348 miles home. Needed two Supercharger stops, one 35 minutes (parking lot of a nice diner) and one 10 minutes. Windy and rainy and I wasn't exactly following the speed limit. I see why Tesla has a big advantage with their SC network. Pretty slick the way it all works together.

No regrets. It'll be interesting to see how the Mach E does with the first model year. The tech in the Tesla is really impressive. Also neat that I didn't have to use the brakes once.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Picked up my Model Y yesterday, traded in my Explorer ST. Two minor interior flaws that will get corrected with an at home service appt. in a few weeks (I'm in no hurry). That's it, beautiful vehicle. Tesla advisor was great and did a through job going over all the features and getting us set up.

Got in and drove 348 miles home. Needed two Supercharger stops, one 35 minutes (parking lot of a nice diner) and one 10 minutes. Windy and rainy and I wasn't exactly following the speed limit. I see why Tesla has a big advantage with their SC network. Pretty slick the way it all works together.

No regrets. It'll be interesting to see how the Mach E does with the first model year. The tech in the Tesla is really impressive. Also neat that I didn't have to use the brakes once.
Congratulations!

Glad to hear only two issues.

I saw pictures of the back seats not lining up. Has that been corrected?

Do not be a stranger to this forum.

Let us know how owning the Model Y experience is going.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Congrats! As a Model 3 owner and road tripper, the Superchargers are the biggest thing I'm going miss with the Mach-E. There's nothing quite like it at the moment in the US. :(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Congrats! As a Model 3 owner and road tripper, the Superchargers are the biggest thing I'm going miss with the Mach-E. There's nothing quite like it at the moment in the US. :(
Second request: It would be helpful if you started a thread entitled: "Why I switched from the Model 3 to the MachE"

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts

Congratulations on your new MY.

Don’t worry, unless you drive like Grandpa and keep it under 70 you will never see the EPA range numbers. This goes for all EV and ICE alike. Plus the weather issues. So if you didn’t come close on mileage, that’s to be expected.

If you are lucky, maybe Tesla will open up one of its 50 new service centers near you next year, saving you the 300 mile trip in the future.

I hope more manufacturers invest in infrastructure, thats the only way the public networks will catch up to the SC network.

Wondering what the two issues were? Typical alignment/paint stuff?
Also, what configuration/color did you go with?

141 - 160 of 199 Posts